Tom Forth Profile picture
Sep 14, 2022 7 tweets 3 min read Read on X
A juxtaposition for the purists.
That'll explain why I can't log in then.
Cool, cool, cool, cool, cool.
If railway engineers did #opendata. It would look like this.
Sadly it's too hard for me. I give up. I'll use the 2019 timetable. It won't make much difference.
Got around this with advice from @travelling_wolf but now I see that new versions of NaPTAN are missing Latitudes and Longitudes for some railway station. Which is,... not going to produce a good GTFS file.
Wow. Yet more "you must sign in for data" stuff from UK national organisations.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Tom Forth

Tom Forth Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @thomasforth

Sep 12
During Covid we massively boosted NHS funding. It remains high as a percentage of our economy. By some measures (read the article before you rage at me) we've got about 20% more staff delivering no more output. ifs.org.uk/articles/there…

This isn't just an NHS thing. We've got similar stagnant productivity across much of the public and private sector. I focus in detail only on transport. Because no-one can focus on detail beyond a small sector. In transport we can see the inefficiency all around us if we look.
Just in Leeds, we've got,
* free roads that people pay for in time by sitting in traffic.
* short, diesel trains that run too frequently.
* buses that run off peak as frequently as in the peak.
* subsidies that push people off efficiency, big, fast trains onto slow buses.
Read 15 tweets
Aug 8
As a Brit I accept that I don't have American style freedom of speech.
But I do have the freedom to hang my washing up outside, unlike most of you Americans with your HOA rules.
Gonna cross a road without mechanised permission later. Might even go wild and cross at the crossing while the man is red.
Some mocking replies suggesting my life is unliveable without air conditioning. "mostly cloudy, feels like 16ºC (61F)" is my midsummer life. The air requires no conditioning. My drink requires no ice. My eyes require no shade. Image
Read 9 tweets
May 22
I've written about the successes and failures of Scottish devolution and why it's so popular among Scots. tomforth.co.uk/unreasonablesu…
TLDR: it's the economy, stupid. Scotland has outperformed England's since devolution. The overperformance is particularly large in Scottish cities, which have broken out of the productivity trap English cities remain trapped in. Image
When devolution came into force, Scotland's economy was the same strength as the West Midlands. It has since grown twice as fast and overtaken East England. The underperformance of the West Midlands vs. Scotland is two to four Brexits in scale, but England doesn't seem to care. Image
Read 5 tweets
Apr 30
Lots of other good points. Wind farms, free tuition, democracy, etc... but I still think it's the economics that matters most. If Scotland's economy with devolution had performed as badly as Yorkshire's or the West Midlands I think there'd be calls to undo it.
Of course Scots don't track GDP numbers. But a society can feel it's prosperity. Scots have friends, family, and work in places like Newcastle, Sunderland, Leeds, Bradford, Birmingham, and Wolverhampton. They can feel their relative prosperity and success since devolution.
If Scotland's success is because of fiscal transfers then,... that's a reason to support a mechanism that retains those transfers.
But North England and the West Midlands are much bigger recipients of transfers within the UK. Image
Read 5 tweets
Mar 31
That Indian railway electrification number seems to check out. Coloured = electrified. Black = not electrified.
Here's the part of Europe with similar population density to North England vs. North England.
Denmark used to be the country that propped up the UK on rail electrification lists. Then they had a disastrous attempt to buy new diesel trains and realised that electrification was the sensible option. So they,... just did it. Two thirds done now. uk.bane.dk/en/Projects/El…
Read 5 tweets
Feb 19
"Birmingham City Council has confirmed it will raise council tax by 21% over the next two years as part of £300m budget savings.

Street lights are to be dimmed, waste collections are to become fortnightly, while burial costs will increase."

Ooooof. bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan…
It's the big cuts to social care that'll really cause problems. Probably a lot of costs passed on to the NHS. But it was dimming the streetlights that I think summed up the desperation of it. So good work on the BBC for that write up I reckon.
It's good that Birmingham has been allowed exceptionally by the UK government to put up council tax by that much. Otherwise the cuts would be even deeper. And it would be good if Birmingham had more taxes it could raise, and by more, under local democratic control. But,...
Read 26 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(