Later this afternoon, join me, @AhmedNajiTW, Julie Trebault of @AtRiskArtists, in a conversation with @karimabennoune at @UMich, Ann Arbor, where we speak of defending artistic freedom after the attack on #SalmanRushdie.
Also, today, in Germany (I wish I could be at two places at the same time, like a Rushdie character!) my friend @meenakandasamy gets honored by @PEN_Deutschland:
My understanding is that the ceremony in Germany and our event at Ann Arbor will both be available online, or through a recording later.

Writers should be read, agreed or argued with, debated, challenged; writers should never be jailed, tortured, beaten, attacked, or killed.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with saliltripathi (वो बनाये परिवार, हमें पसंद रविवार)

saliltripathi (वो बनाये परिवार, हमें पसंद रविवार) Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @saliltripathi

Jun 19
The lesson from the Chomsky hospitalisation for social media is simple: do what the much-reviled 'mainstream' media is supposed to do as a matter of routine: verify facts before posting/commenting/offering tributes. A salutary lesson for everyone who uses social media.
Commentators on social media who ridicule the mainstream media for being 'late' with a story, or 'not reporting' a story will, I hope, realise now, that sometimes the mainstream media is slow precisely because it is trying to get the facts right.
It doesn't mean that the mainstream media always gets it right--but it has checks and balances, incentives and disincentives, and laws and codes, with accountability mechanisms.
Read 4 tweets
Apr 24
Today is the 11th anniversary of the Rana Plaza collapse, in which 1,134 workers died in Dhaka.

Over 11 years, we at @ihrb have written blogs, reports, briefings, and published podcasts. A 🧵
I wrote this for Ethical Corp magazine: ihrb.org/focus-areas/bu…
We noted the development of Accord and Alliance in our Top 10 issues in 2014: ihrb.org/library/top-10…
Read 25 tweets
Apr 23
When @Mint_Lounge editor @shalinimb asked some of us to name any work in our mothertongue that inspired us and our thinking about democracy (as India goes to polls), 12 of us responded.

1/nlivemint.com/mint-lounge/ar…
I picked the Gujarati novel Socrates (1974) by Manubhai Pancholi "Darshak." Today, on my LinkedIn page, Mrinmayee Ranade asked about the absence of Marathi writers on the list. Fair question; there has been excellent writing about democracy and freedom in Marathi. 2/n
I was born in the city once known as Bombay, can understand Marathi well, read it slowly, and speak it though not always grammatically. I've read some Marathi poetry in the original and some in translation, and some prose in translation. 3/n
Read 8 tweets
Apr 20
This is a wonderful refrain about freedom (azadi), popular in India during the moment when brave students of JNU took on the Indian state. It is nice to see Indian revolutionary fervor getting exported to other campuses. 1/2
Those students faced a crackdown: some wilted, some remain in jail, some are now opposition politicians using democratic means to bring about change, as fine universities teach. 2/3
The real problem on US campuses and in the US (and German and some European) public discourse today is that any criticism of Israel, Netanyahu, or Zionism is described as 'anti-semitism' or "hatred of Jews" to shut debate. 3/4
Read 5 tweets
Jan 18
@timesofindia yesterday carried a video which showed an event "in the British parliament" celebrating the opening of the temple in Ayodhya. The story also has a video: 1/5
@timesofindia Here's the Times story: 2/5timesofindia.indiatimes.com/videos/interna…
@timesofindia A few things: this is most likely what's called a 'sponsored event," which is permitted in the committee rooms of the House of Commons and requires an MP to sponsor it. It has costs of renting, which presumably the Hindu organisations paid. There are non-sponsored events too. 3/5
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(