Adrian Soto-Mota Profile picture
Jan 6, 2023 24 tweets 15 min read Read on X
⚠️NEW PAPER⚠️
@AJCNutrition with: Mark Pereria, Cara Ebbeling, @LuciaAronica & @davidludwigmd

doi.org/10.1016/j.ajcn…

With many of my favorite things:
1) Open Science.
2)Critical analysis of high quality research.
3) Causal inference.
4) #CiCo vs #CIM
5) 1600 lines of R code.
This is a post-hoc analysis of the DIETFITS, a high-quality RCT from @StanfordMed lead by @GardnerPhD (who kindly reviewed an earlier version of our manuscript) which compared carbohydrate vs fat restriction to achieve weight-loss during one year.

jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/…
This trial found non-significant weight-loss differences between both diets.

Additionally, no interaction was observed with genotype nor hyperinsulinemia.
A later study did find weight-loss differences between diets favoring carbohydrate restriction for the intermediate time points (3 & 6 months).

doi.org/10.1002/oby.22…
However, these results were interpreted by some (@JohnSpeakman4, @KevinH_PhD ) as evidence against the Carbohydrate Insulin Model.

science.org/doi/10.1126/sc…
Of course, we could argue that absence of evidence against the null ≠ Evidence in favor of the null.

In other words, lack of evidence in favor of the #CIM is not necessarily evidence in favor of the #CiCo.

link.springer.com/article/10.100…
But, thanks to the openess and transparency of the DIETFITS research team who uploaded their data and R-code, we were able to test if DIETFITS data support or contradict the #CIM 🔎⚖️.

osf.io/kyiuj/?view_on…
First, we analyzed what effect participant dropouts had on the only non-significant time point using two different multiple imputation methods.

Note these are the only results with imputed data.

ALL other analyses used the original and non-imputed dataset.
Please, remember ALL methods for dealing with missing values have subjective assumptions and our method is not necessarily better than the original. It just suggests the lack of a 12-month significant difference in weight-loss could involve less stat power and diet convergence.
Since:

1) Most of the weight-loss occurred within the first 3 months.

2) It is comparable to the weight-loss at the end of the trial.

3) Most participants (90%) reached the 3-month timepoint and there is more statistical power.

Our main results are for the 3-month timepoint.
However, we ran ALL analyses for the 6 and 12 months too.

They show a consistent picture with the main results (and with patient dropouts reducing statistical significance).

You can find those results in our supplemental material:

ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/…
While having different diets, both groups ⬇️ their calorie, carbohydrate and fat intake (with different proportions).

Both groups ⬇️ their glycemic load (which considers the glycemic response to foods and their portion size). So, we combined groups for some of our comparisons.
What explains weight-loss best?

We compared different adjusted (for sex, baseline BMI, baseline calorie-intake and diet group) models and found those with carbohydrate-related variables predict weight loss better than the others.

(Larger areas = better predictive performance)
OK but, the #CIM states HIGH GLYCEMIC LOAD as the staring point of the weight-gain process.

So, what about it?

Is glycemic load reduction a significant predictor of weight-loss?

Sure, it is ✅️

(remember both groups ⬇️ their glycemic load)
What about fat intake?
(remember both groups ⬇️ their fat intake too)

Is it a significant predictor of weight-loss?

No, it is not ❌️
Ok. Adherence is essential for any intervention.

Did those who adhered the most to their randomized intervention lose more weight?

Sure, they did ✅️

(but notice one slope is twice as steep as the other)
But HEY!

Dietary recollection methods are often inaccurate, right?

Sure, however:
1) No reason to believe their bias would favor one group over the other (and we are analyzing all participants together).

2) We can use their lipid data as a biomarker of micronutrient intake.
Triglycerides/HDL is a good biomarker for carbohydrate restriction and total cholesterol is a good biomarker of fat restriction:

doi.org/10.3390/nu1212…
doi.org/10.1016/j.jand…

(since the database doesn't have total cholesterol, we used 【LDL+HDL】 as proxy)
So,

Is the biomarker of carbohydrate restriction a significant predictor of weight-loss?
Sure, it is ✅️

Is the biomarker of fat restriction a significant predictor of weight-loss?
No, it is not ❌️
On the other hand, one of the predictions of the #CIM is that those with the highest insulin responses should lose more weight when restricting their glycemic load.

Was that the case?

Yes, it was ✅️.
Finally, we did mediation analyses.

Calorie-reduction is a significant predictor of weight-loss but its significance goes away if glycemic load is in the equation (complete mediation).

Using 100 simulations, 93% of the effect of calorie reduction is mediated by glycemic load.
In conclusion, carbohydrate intake predicts better weight-loss than other dietary factors. Calorie and fat reduction had little relevance.

These findings extend, NOT OPPOSE, the original conclusions of DIETFITS.

The emphasis should be on restricting processed carbohydrates.
MACROnutrient* 🤦‍♂️🙃🤣

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Adrian Soto-Mota

Adrian Soto-Mota Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @AdrianSotoMota

Jan 17
⚠️📣NEW PAPER🔔‼️
@AJCNutrition
(link at the end👇🏼🧵)

With Yusceli Flores, @nicknorwitz, @realDaveFeldman, Mark Pereira, Goodarz Danaei, and @davidludwigmd

A meta-analysis (MAA) + individual participant data (IPD) analysis of 41 RCTs entailing the #LEM and the #LMHR phenotype. Image
In 2022, we published an observational study suggesting BMI was a mayor player in LDL-C changes during carbohydrate restriction:

However, we didn't have dietary intake reports, all data was self-reported, and all participants self-selected their diet. doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nz…

Thus, we sought RCTs that documented dietary intake and randomized people across the BMI spectrum to physiologically relevant carbohydrate restriction.

We found 41 elegible RCTs.

Additionally, we compared the influence of saturated fat intake with BMI's on LDL-C changes. Image
Read 18 tweets
Mar 7, 2023
What do the liver, the thyroid, 🩸phosphorus & your 🩸glucose have to do with migraine?

⚠️🚨NEW PUBLICATION 🚨⚠️
@SciReports with @DrElenaGross

nature.com/articles/s4159…

Many don't think about migraine (or most chronic 🧠conditions) as metabolic diseases.

But they are! 🧵
The human 🧠 is the most amazing thing around. Intuitively, this amazingness does not come cheap!!!

The human 🧠 is exceptionally expensive to sustain energetically.

Compared to other primates, we have the most expensive 🧠👇🏼

doi.org/10.1038/nature…
I think it's reasonable to think that, if anything is wrong with someone's energy management system (a.k.a. their Metabolism), one of the first tissues where thing could go wrong, it's the most energy demanding of them 🧠.
Read 15 tweets
Mar 6, 2023
2nd erythritol 🧵.
(Shorter than the 1st one I✋️)

Given that some of the pieces of evidence are "similar" and some of the researchers are the same?

Is erythritol the new TMAO?

Why I'd advise avoiding erythritol but not choline (TMAO)?

First 🧵
threadreaderapp.com/thread/1630971…
TMAO = Trimethylamine N-oxide.

After we eat choline-rich foods, SOME gut🦠 produce TMA (Trimethylamine) which is then transported to the liver and converted into TMAO.
Now, in 2016, some of the same researchers in THE erythritol paper published a set of studies linking TMAO with heart disease.

cell.com/fulltext/S0092…
Read 9 tweets
Mar 1, 2023
Not mutually exclusive, but most people said they'd prefer seeing rather than joining a discussion to analyze THAT erythritol paper, and I have some airport hours ahead...

Here go🧵.

In case you've been living under a rock, this is the paper:

nature.com/articles/s4159… Image
Relevant disclosures for interpreting my interpretation?

I'll speak more as a clinician clinician who sees many ⬆️CVDrisk patients following a low-carb diet than as a healthy adult who follows a low-carb diet and occasionally consumes erythritol.
Things I liked about the paper = ✅️.

Things I didn't like (and matter) = ⚠️

Things I didn't like (and are nitpicking) = 🧐.

🩸[] = blood concentration.

CVD = CardioVascular Disease.

MACE = Major Adverse Cardiovascular Events.

Why we "liked" erythritol in the first place?
Read 32 tweets
Feb 7, 2023
A wonderful conversation with @CaseyRuff convinced me of joining a bit late the satiety-scores debate.

This 🧵 has my two cents about it and the story of a short and weird experiment @castanedaprado and I carried out a six years ago.

🪙🪙
If we are as strict as possible (in a real world setting) about our energy balance, and eat the same food every day, the order of ingredients shouldn't change our weight loss or our satiety, right?
Thus, we ate THE SAME FOOD EVERY DAY FOR 1 MONTH.

Then a wash out month and then the same food rearranged to have 16hr of intermittent fasting every day with all the high carb foods in a singe meal AGAIN FOR 1 MONTH.

In other words, same food but with different insulin spikes.
Read 11 tweets
Jan 24, 2023
A short 🧵on:

Is 🧬 the #1 cause of obesity?

I thought this was worth doing because at least one of the experts on the new committee Dietary Guidelines for Americans (which are followed by many other countries in the🗺️) thinks it is 👇

First and foremost (as with most things in Medicine)

THIS IS A MULTIFACTORIAL PHENOMENON INVOLVING DIFFERENT AND INTERACTING BIOLOGICAL AND SOCIAL FACTORS WITH VARYING DEGREES OF RELEVANCE
In other words, the #1 reason (for anything) is rarely the #1 reason for everyone.

Also, the #1 reason can have many very close 2nd, 3rd, and N-th reasons that, aggregated have more relevance.

Even within individuals, biology and environment change (i.e. with age & migration).
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(