Richard Barrow Profile picture
Feb 2, 2023 27 tweets 29 min read Read on X
Good morning from Udon Thani Railway Station in Northeastern Thailand. I came here on Special Express No. 25 (thaitrainguide.com/timetables/no-…). I’m here to write a @ThaiTrainGuide as part of my #RailTourism project.

This is a live THREAD 🧵 of my two day trip to Udon Thani.

#Thailand ImageImageImageImage
[2] The highlight of any visit to Udon Thani during the cool season is the Red Lotus Lake. The lily flowers are in bloom from around November to March. To rent a boat for up to six persons is 500 Baht. The trip is around 90 minutes and he will stop at a few places. #Thailand ImageImageImageImage
[3] It’s not that easy to reach the Red Lotus Lake by public transport. A Grab taxi is 400 Baht. You can ask your hotel to arrange a car for about 1,200 Baht. I decided to hire a driver for the day for 1,800 Baht which I think is better value.

📍MAP: maps.app.goo.gl/RJAKXizAWEBNPp… ImageImageImageImage
[4] One of the major attractions in Udon Thani province is the National Museum in Ban Chiang. This is a World Heritage Site. Well worth visiting. Open Wednesday to Sunday. Admission is 150 Baht.

📍MAP. maps.app.goo.gl/yPtWbu4bf1jKxh… | #Thailand ImageImageImageImage
[5] Ban Chiang Archaeological Site is considered the most important prehistoric settlement so far discovered in Southeast Asia. The World Heritage Committee inscribed Ban Chiang Archaeological Site on the World Heritage List in 1992.

#Thailand ImageImageImageImage
[6] This is some of the street art that you can find around Ban Chiang. You can rent a bicycle from near the national museum for 20 Baht. ImageImageImageImage
[7] About 3km north of Ban Chiang is Wat Santiwanaram. Of note is the chapel on the lake that is shaped like a giant lotus flower. Inside there are some beautiful murals on the walls which show the story of the Lord Buddha.

📍MAP: maps.app.goo.gl/RfkrRanrJjyoip… #Thailand ImageImageImageImage
[8] Udon Thani City Museum is in an old refurbished building. It tells the story of the city and province. Of particular interest is the relationship between the city and American soldiers during the Vietnam War. Closed on Mondays. Entry is free.

📍MAP: maps.app.goo.gl/zKjpNp5xW1r9zu… ImageImageImageImage
[9] The Thai-Chinese Cultural Center has a fascinating museum that tells the story of the Thai-Chinese people who first settled in Udon Thani. It also explains their culture and festivals. Well worth a visit. All exhibit signs are bilingual.

📍MAP: maps.app.goo.gl/VEK1mUP766wQZu… ImageImageImageImage
[10] Late lunch today was at Arunee Vietnamese Cuisine restaurant in Udon Thani. They were recently awarded a Bib Gourmand in Michelin Guide Thailand. It was delicious and I recommend it.

📍MAP: maps.app.goo.gl/dAEMm8PmojfdWN… Image
[11] Udon Thani Walking Street takes place every Friday and Saturday evening near the city pillar and city hall. Lots of good food, so come hungry.

📍MAP: maps.app.goo.gl/gUG9VhJpzp41L8… #Thailand ImageImageImageImage
[12] Good morning from Hotel MOCO in Udon Thani. I chose this hotel as it was very near the railway station. Looks like a new one.

I have the driver and car again all day today. The sleeper train back to Bangkok is at 8:20pm.

📍MAP: maps.app.goo.gl/2QYNGySHhrhfrS… #Thailand ImageImageImageImage
[13] My breakfast was duck noodle soup at Peng Duck Noodles in Udon Thani. They were awarded a Bib Gourmand in the latest edition of Michelin Guide Thailand. It was okay but not something you would cross town for, which is exactly what I did!

📍MAP: maps.app.goo.gl/kJb85KaQ6GXQd7… ImageImageImageImage
[14] Phu Phra Bat Historical Park in Udon Thani is important for its unusually shaped rock formations, religious shrines, and prehistoric cave paintings. Entrance fee is 100 Baht. There’s a good bilingual exhibition in the information centre. #Thailand ImageImageImageImage
[15] It takes around 90 minutes to do the big walk around Phu Phra Bat. Plenty of interesting rock formations. Some are like that from natural erosion. Others have been modified. There are golf carts for the elderly to take them to the highlight.

📍MAP: maps.app.goo.gl/pM6DomB6bXCLKb… ImageImageImageImage
[16] Lunch today was at Khanom Jeen Mae Pen in Na Yung district of Udon Thani. The Khanom Jeen set was 100 Baht and came with three curries and noodles in seven colours.

📍MAP: maps.app.goo.gl/41U19bRz7BV8FN… #ThaiFood #Thailand Image
[17] My next stop is Wat Pa Phu Kon which is on top of a hill in Na Yung district of Udon Thani. At the weekend you are not allowed to drive to the top. You have to pay 30 Baht to take the songtaew to the top. Image
[18] Wat Pa Phu Kon is on top of a hill in Na Yung-Nam Som National Forest in Udon Thani but it’s also close to the provinces of Loei and Nong Khai. The temple is built in modern Rattanakoson style and houses a 20-metre long reclining Buddha image.

📍MAP: maps.app.goo.gl/tCoYxEJmzYFo2Y… ImageImageImageImage
[19] Some of the best views of Wat Pa Phu Kon and the surrounding forest is from a drone. To fly you need to seek written permission and also show them your flying license. You are then restricted how near you can fly. These are my drone photos from today. #Thailand ImageImageImageImage
[20] On either side of Udon Thani Railway Station there is a good choice for food. On the northern side is the Train Night Market.

📍MAP: maps.app.goo.gl/6AGhisrNeSQQUP… #Thailand ImageImageImageImage
[21] On the southern side of Udon Thani Railway Station is UD TOWN Food​ Center which is another good place to eat in Udon Thani. ​There are also franchise restaurants here including Hotel MOCCO where I stayed last night.

📍MAP: maps.app.goo.gl/U77vpWeoxPWZxt… ImageImageImageImage
[22] Dinner tonight was at Krua Khun Nid, another winner of a Bib Gourmand in the latest Michelin Guide Thailand. Seven restaurants in Udon Thani were recognised in this category.

📍MAP: maps.app.goo.gl/r4c1HDGtKcSdvQ… #ThaiFood #Thailand ImageImageImageImage
[23] When I was first planning the Udon Thani trip I was thinking about renting a car to drive myself. Then I decided a driver is more convenient. For example, he picked me up at the station at 5:50am. Then dropped me off at 8:00pm just now. The cost was 1,800 per day. Image
[24] I’m now taking the sleeper train back to Bangkok after spending two full days in Udon Thani. Journey time is 9 hours and 30 minutes which is fine as I will spend most of that time asleep. Going back I’m in a 1st Class cabin which costs 2,313 Baht for single occupancy. ImageImageImageImage
[25] The advantage of going back in 1st Class on the CNR sleeper is that there’s a shower cubicle with hot water. They also give you a towel. This is important for me as I checked out of the hotel early this morning and I got sweaty with all the walking I did today.

Goodnight! Image
[26] My train arrived safely at Krung Thep Aphiwat Central Terminal. I had a good night’s sleep in my 1st Class cabin. It makes a big difference that you can turn off the lights. Also the hot shower was great. But it was 2,313 Baht compared to 877/977 Baht in 2nd Class. Image
[27] I decided to go home by bus instead of taxi just to see what it’s like. I had to take any bus first to Mochit 2 terminal which was one stop. Then I took Bus 536 to Paknam. Only 27 Baht compared to 270 Baht by taxi. Cheaper but the taxi is obviously more efficient. ImageImageImageImage

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Richard Barrow

Richard Barrow Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @RichardBarrow

Aug 6, 2023
The Bangkok Tourist Division has selected 150 restaurants and #ThaiFood shops in famous areas in #Bangkok.

This is a THREAD 🧵 of these shops with pictures and maps. Retweet to be automatically entered to win one of five books. Everyone who retweets will also get a PDF.

1/22 Image
📌 The Yaowarat area in Chinatown, is a vibrant district in Samphanthawong. Established in 1782, it's one of the largest Chinese communities outside China. It offers a diverse range of businesses like gold shops, eateries, restaurants, general stores, and hotels.

2/22 Image
Yaowarat is renowned for its delicious food, earning it the title Heaven of Roadside Food by CNN News. It boasts famous restaurants popular with Thai and foreign tourists. Some are even featured in the "Michelin Guide". The vibrant and unique seafood market is a must-visit.

3/22
Read 22 tweets
Aug 4, 2023
I recently embarked on a train journey from Bangkok to Vientiane, and then continued on the Laos-China Railway to the Chinese border and back.

Here is a THREAD 🧵 with all the details. Feel free to repost and share it with your friends.

#RailTourism #Thailand #Laos

1/25 Image
My journey started at Krung Thep Aphiwat Station in #Bangkok. There are three trains you can catch to Nong Khai. The day train starts at only 251 Baht, but I recommend Special Express No. 25. It leaves at 8:25pm and arrives at 6:25am. A sleeping berth start from 894 Baht.

2/25

At Nong Khai Station, you need to switch to the shuttle train to cross the Friendship Bridge into Laos. This goes at 7:30am. Don’t worry, they wait for the Bangkok train if it’s late. Thai immigration is at the station. Quick and easy. The 15 minute journey costs 20 Baht.

3/25

Read 25 tweets
Mar 28, 2023
🚂 Good morning from Rapid No. 135 train going from Krung Thep Aphiwat to Pak Chong in Northeastern Thailand. The journey time is 3 hours and 40 minutes. Ticket price for 3rd Class is 85 Baht.

This is a live THREAD 🧵of my 3-day trip to Khao Yai by train.

#RailTourism #Thailand ImageImageImageImage
[2] The train journey into Isaan is quite scenic as you have to climb over a hill. As the train has to go slowly due to the hills, they are building a tunnel and a 50 metre high viaduct as a shortcut. This will be opened next year and should provide some fantastic views. ImageImageImageImage
[3] Our train arrived a little late at Pak Chong Railway Station. Waiting for us was a songtaew driver from Greenleaf Guesthouse. We will be staying with them and as we booked a tour as well, they offer a free pick up at the station.

📍MAP: maps.app.goo.gl/qs6bCegvZfcNmt… #Thailand ImageImageImageImage
Read 23 tweets
Mar 26, 2023
🚂 Good morning from Hua Lamphong Station. Today is the 126th anniversary of the opening of the first railway in #Thailand and the founding of the State Railway of Thailand on 26th March 1897.

This is a live THREAD of my steam train trip to Ayutthaya.

#RailTourism #Thailand Image
[2] There are six steam train trips a year on important dates. They go to three different locations: Ayutthaya, Chachoengsao and Nakhon Pathom. Tickets are 299 Baht for 3rd Class (8 carriages) and 799 Baht for 1st Class (2 carriages). ImageImageImageImage
[3] Guide to Steam Train Excursions in Thailand – Thai Train Guide thaitrainguide.com/excursion-trai…

#RailTourism #Trains #Thailand ImageImageImageImage
Read 18 tweets
Mar 25, 2023
Good morning from Hua Lamphong Station. Today I’m on the #Kiha183 excursion train to Ayutthaya. This is a live THREAD 🧵 about this trip.

Follow @ThaiTrainGuide for more information on the trains.

#RailTourism #Thailand ImageImageImageImage
[2] To buy tickets for the #KiHa183 excursion train, go to the D-Ticket website dticket.railway.co.th/DTicketPublicW… and click on ‘Exploring Thailand by Train’. There’s a different destination every week. Call 1690 for more information. ImageImageImageImage
[3] Our trip today is to Ayutthaya. The ticket cost is 1,499 Baht and includes breakfast, lunch, bus and boat tours, and souvenirs. The price of other tours might vary. Sometimes cheaper sometimes more expensive.

#RailTourism #Thailand Image
Read 10 tweets
Mar 5, 2023
[2] The State Railway of Thailand are now planning on doing one-day excursions every weekend to destinations and festivals. This weekend is to Ratchaburi. Next weekend is to Chachoengsao and the weekend after is to Phetchaburi. Click for more information: thaitrainguide.com/excursion-trai…
[3] The price of the ticket on the #Kiha183 excursion train varies each time. Today’s trip is 1,499 Baht which includes breakfast (see photos), lunch and a coach tour. The Phetchaburi trip is 699 Baht as it only includes drinks and snacks.

#RailTourism #Thailand
[4] Our first stop in Ratchaburi was at Chulalongkorn Bridge. The railway bridge was built in 1901. They are now building a new bridge as part of the double track project. However due to unexploded bombs in the river they had to build it without putting pillars into the water.
Read 11 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(