Cut My Tax Profile picture
Feb 17, 2023 12 tweets 5 min read Read on X
The House of Lords Economic Affairs Committee has attacked CBDCs, saying that they are a “solution in search of a problem.”

Here we list some of the threats and risks identified by the House of Lords.

A thread:

#CBDC #CBDCs #KeepCash Image
PRIVACY:

“A CBDC system could not support anonymous transactions....

This lack of anonymity is to prevent CBDCs facilitating large-scale criminal activity, and to ensure a CBDC system complies with national disclosure laws that apply to payments"….
“This means payments data on CBDC users would exist and would be accessible to some authority or institution.

There is concern about the potential for state surveillance.”

Of course the tax authorities, with their strong investigatory powers, would get hold of CBDC data. Image
The Committee quoted a survey by Redfield & Wilton Strategies which found that 32% of people thought the Bank of England would issue a CBDC to monitor how UK citizens use their money. Image
SECURITY:

First, individual accounts could be compromised through weaknesses in cyber security.

Second, the centralised CBDC ledger... a critical piece of national infrastructure, would be a target for attack from hostile actors.”
The Committee quoted GCHQ Director Sir Jeremy Fleming, on how a digital currency could present a threat: “it gives a hostile state the ability to surveil transactions.

It gives them the ability… to be able to exercise control over what is conducted on those digital currencies” Image
The Royal United Services Institute said an online system would be a target for attack: “North Korea has made extensive use of the fact that cryptocurrency exchanges and so on can be hacked.

It ran a nearly very successful attack against the Bangladesh central bank". Image
DISINTERMEDIATION "If a CBDC is introduced, a proportion of people may wish to transfer money out of their bank accounts into non-bank CBDC wallets. This would reduce the size of commercial banks’ balance sheets while increasing the size of the Bank of England’s balance sheet.." Image
The Committee highlighted that this "may increase the cost of credit and tighten lending criteria, with implications for the efficiency of credit provision in the economy." Image
Barclays said this "would make banks more reliant on wholesale funding—an expensive and more volatile alternative to customer deposits It said this could mean banks being required to hold higher levels of liquidity against deposits, which could constrain lending further." Image
The Bank of England could "conduct forms of unconventional monetary policy more easily. "It could ‘programme’ a CBDC to have an expiry date by which it would need to be spent, or conditions could be placed on a CBDC so that it could be spent on certain goods only."
Of course, once introduced, CBDCs could be programmed to do all sorts of things - not just collect information on citizens but levy taxes at the point of transaction too.

The Government may say they don't plan to do this, but that could easily change. Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Cut My Tax

Cut My Tax Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @CutMyTaxUK

Jul 6
Why Labour can't increase taxes

After years of saying the tax burden was too high, Labour fought the election on the basis that taxes were too high & they wouldn't put up taxes on working people, wouldn't increase income tax, NI & VAT, & had no plans to put up other taxes

1/14 Image
Who are 'working people'?

Keir Starmer, asked if he fell into his own description of “working man”, replied “yes, I’m a working person, I come within my own definition of a working person, which is earning my living, paying my taxes and knowing what it means to save money.” Image
Rachel Reeves made it clear that "working people are those people who go out and work and earn their money through hard work."

She added that "there are people who do have savings, who have been able to save up & those are working people as well."
Read 14 tweets
Jun 16
Says Labour Shadow Minister Lisa Nandy: "At a minimum we should bring wealth taxes into line with income taxes - we go after the wealth... wealth is in assets & that's where we start"

Is Labour's bland & unrevealing manifesto a Trojan Horse, hiding all sorts of tax plans?

1/7 Image
There's a lot of evidence of something odd going on

Earlier positions of Labour leaders point to a strong desire to hike taxes. Less than 3 years ago Starmer said "We're looking at income from property, income from dividends, shares etc. - all of those options are a wealth tax" Image
There's the refusal to rule out most tax increases, even trying to leave open the option of levying CGT on the family home.

Instead they reply on the transparent ruse of claiming they have "no plans" to raise taxes, which almost certainly means the opposite. Image
Read 7 tweets
Jun 12
It's being floated that Labour may hike CGT but that would not be smart, not least because revenue will fall.

@Telegraph has now revealed the detailed HMRC figures analysing how much will likely be lost.

Last year @RachelReevesMP spoke out against hiking CGT, saying......

1/4 Image
"There are people who have built up their own businesses who maybe at retirement want to sell that business.

They may not have had huge income through their life if they've reinvested in their business, but this is their retirement pot of money."
Labour has a good track record on cutting CGT.

In his first budget Gordon Brown announced: "For those who build businesses or stake their own hard-earned money in them, the long-term rate will be reduced even more from 40p to 10p in the pound - the lowest rate ever achieved." Image
Read 4 tweets
Jun 3
Fascinating article in @Guardian citing many Labour voters with kids at independent schools who will now not vote Labour because of its tax on education.

People put the interests of childen first.

It's worth taking the time to read the quotes in the thread below:

1/8 Image
“To us, this is a tax on SEN,” said James, a 51-year-old IT manager from Hampshire, whose son is highly dyslexic but didn't qualify for additional state help.

“I have never voted for the Tories, but because of this I can’t vote for Labour," he said.
39-year-old T O’Doherty, a small-business owner from Kent, said that scrimping & saving made it just about possible to send his daughter to a small independent school.

“I have always voted Labour and I simply cannot any more,"
Read 8 tweets
May 27
Labour says its new state company, Great British Energy, will result in lower bills but doesn't explain how

In fact it may result in both higher bills & higher taxes & levies

We can look at what happened in the 1990s when public sector electricity companies became private:

1/6 Image
Electricity prices fell considerably in real terms in the 5 years after privatization - 10% for residential customers, 11.3% for small industrial customers, 17% for medium industrial customers, 16.5% and 6.7% for moderately large & extra large industrial customers. Image
The profitability of the industry improved dramatically, partly due to large efficiency improvements, including reductions in staffing levels of more than 50% in the generators and over 25% in the distributors.

In other words the state companies were vastly overmanned. Image
Read 6 tweets
May 25
15 questions for Labour on tax

Based on analysis of earlier statements by Labour politicians, advisers & think-tanks, we believe these are some of the key questions that Labour must answer.

1/5 Image
Will you apply National Insurance (NI) to savings, investment & rental income?
Will you extend NI to people over the pensionable age?
Will you extend employer NI to employers’ contributions to pensions?
Will you increase the NI rates paid by the self-employed Image
Will you cut the cap on tax-free pension withdrawals?
Will you cut the allowances for contributions to pensions?
Will you make pensions subject to inheritance tax?
Will you place a cap on the amount that can be invested in a pension & seek to tax the rest? Image
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(