Jay Turner Profile picture
Feb 22, 2023 8 tweets 3 min read Read on X
Since the IRA become law, we’ve been tracking how the US #EV supply chain has responded.

My students and I have inventoried publicly announced projects, capital investment, target production and employment levels, and more.

Here is what we’ve learned so far in 8 charts. 1/8
Not surprisingly, the IRA has accelerated investments in the domestic EV supply chain. More than 25 major new projects add up to a potential $32 billion in capital investment and 20,000 new jobs. 2/8 Image
US EV manufacturing is now on track to reach 4.5 million vehicles a year, with more projects in the pipeline. Once preliminary plans announced by Ford, Honda, Volvo, and BMW are finalized, production levels could meet the Biden administration’s goal of 50% EV sales by 2030. 3/8 Image
The boom in domestic battery manufacturing now outpaces plans for EV mfg. Battery mfg capacity is targeting 950 GWh by 2030, including 250 GWh in newly announced capacity since IRA. If each EV has 75 kWh battery pack, that is enough to support 12 million cars per year. 4/8 Image
Mining and materials processing projects are lagging. Manufacturers will have to rely on free-trade partners to meet IRA critical minerals sourcing requirements. 5/8 Image
Post-IRA investments have been concentrated in Republican-led states. Whether measured by capital investment, target employment, or the amount of federal support awarded to date, states led by Republican governors have claimed an outsized share of new EV projects. 6/8 Image
We posted a longer version of this six-month update on CleanTechnica.

cleantechnica.com/2023/02/21/tra…

7/8
Explore the EV supply chain with this dashboard - it is a window into the developing U.S. EV supply chain. Let us know what you think and what we are missing. 8/8

charged-the-book.com/na-ev-supply-c… Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jay Turner

Jay Turner Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @_jay_turner

May 20
Inflation Reduction Act + 21 months

My students at @Wellesley and I are tracking investments in the US electric vehicle supply chain.

Here is our post-I.R.A. tally for the US since 8/16/22:

105 new projects
$90.1B in planned investments
57,248 new jobs

A 🧵 US EV and battery supply chain investments since the Inflation Reduction Act became law on August 16, 2022.  Tally includes 105 new projects, $90.1 billion in new investments, and 57,284 new jobs announced.
We are tracking $3.4 billion in newly announced investments in the last month.

Toyota announced a $1.4 billion investment in its Princeton, IN factory, for a 3-row EV, using batteries from its factory under construction in Liberty, NC.

pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-charges…
With that investment, Japan-based companies are now the biggest investors in the post-IRA US EV supply chain at $23.1 billion, edging out both the U.S. and South Korea based companies. Chart showing Japan-based companies leading investment in US EV supply chain post-IRA.
Read 17 tweets
Apr 17
Inflation Reduction Act + 20 months

My students at @Wellesley and I are tracking investments in the US electric vehicle supply chain.

Here is our post-I.R.A. tally for the US:

100 new projects
$86.7B in planned investments
56,399 new jobs

A short🧵 Update on US Electric Vehicle Supply Chain 20 months after the Inflation Reduction Act became law.  Infographic reports 100 new projects, $86.7 billion in new investments, and 56,399 new jobs announced.
Battery manufacturing projects are drawing new investments in needed components.

Japanese company UBE announced a $500 million investment in a new factory employing 300 that will produce electrolyte materials in Louisiana. 2/9

thecooldown.com/green-business…
Orion SA has just started construction on a ~$130 million project in Texas (announced pre-IRA) to manufacture acetylene-based additives which improve lithium-ion battery performance. 3/9

investor.orioncarbons.com/financial-pres…
Read 9 tweets
Feb 20
Inflation Reduction Act + 18 months

Plans for the US EV supply chain are still expanding.

My students at @Wellesley and I are tracking it. Here is our post-I.R.A. tally for the US and some key trends:

91 new projects
$83.4B in planned investments
54,350 new jobs

A 🧵 1/14 Infographic showing investments in US EV supply chain since IRA became law on August 16, 2022.
Despite the media putting EVs in the slow lane, investments in the EV supply chain continue to expand. The fourth quarter of 2023 was the second biggest quarter for new capital investments since the IRA became law in August 2022. 2/14 Chart showing growth in investments in EV supply chain, with biggest jumps in Q3 2022 and Q4 2023.
In just the past month, we’ve added 11 new projects, $4.7B in planned investments, and 3,743 new jobs to our database.

Toyota expanded its plans for EV manufacturing in Kentucky. Hyundai is speeding up the of start manufacturing EVs in Georgia. 3/14

koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20…
Read 14 tweets
Nov 17, 2023
Inflation Reduction Act + 15 months

Things really haven’t slowed down. A month of big news for the US #EV supply chain.

My students at @Wellesley and I are tracking it. Here is our post-I.R.A. tally:

77 new projects
$79.6B in planned investments
48,605 new jobs

A short🧵 1/9 Image
Despite recent headlines about slow EV sales and projects on pause, companies continue to make big plans for the domestic EV supply chain.

In October, five projects were announced or expanded, adding up to $16 billion in new investments and 4,800 new jobs. 2/9 Image
Most post-I.R.A. projects have been in manufacturing.

That makes Exxon's plans to invest in direct lithium extraction in the Smackover District in Arkansas big news.

Estimated $2B investment to supply lithium for 1 million EVs per year by 2030. 3/9

corporate.exxonmobil.com/news/news-rele…
Read 9 tweets
Nov 6, 2023
The clean energy transition is going to require more critical minerals. That comes with geopolitical risks.

China made this clear with new export controls on graphite.

I make the case for what this means and what can be done in @nytopinion. A short 🧵

nytimes.com/2023/11/06/opi…
Right now, China plays an outsize role in critical minerals important to technologies such as lithium-ion batteries, solar panels, and wind turbines.

In the case of lithium-ion batteries manufacturing, consider these stats from @benchmarkmin.

China's lithium ion battery supply chain dominance from Benchmark Intelligence.
This isn’t a story about China’s geological good fortune. Instead, it is a story of strategy.

Since 2010s, China has invested in mines around the world that funnel raw materials to China, where they are refined into the high-grade materials needed for clean energy technologies.
Read 13 tweets
Oct 17, 2023
Inflation Reduction Act + 14 months

My students at @Wellesley and I are still tracking the #EV supply chain. Here is what has happened in the 14 months since IRA became law:

72 new projects
$65.5B in planned investments
44,955 new jobs

A short thread w/ key trends. 1/8 Infographic of US EV investments since Inflation Reduction Act became law. 72 new projects, $65.5 billion in investments, 44,955 new jobs.
We project USA and Canada will have the capacity to mfg 6 million EVs and 1365 GWh of batteries annually in 2030.

That is enough battery capacity for 14 million cars per year at 100 kWh per vehicle. Overcapacity in EV batteries is a risk. 2/8 Infographic with projected EV and battery manufacturing in 2030 for US and Canada.  5.18 million EVs and 1025 GWh of batteries in US.  .28 million EVs and 170 GWh batteries Canada.
Most of the investment post-IRA has gone into batteries, thanks to favorable incentives for domestic battery manufacturing.

Battery manufacturing accounts for 76% of the $66 billion in post-IRA investments. Investments in mining and materials is small in comparison. 3/8 Infographic showing breakdown of capital investments by manufacturing product: batteries, EV chargers, recycled materials, EV and EV part manufacturing, Mining and Materials.
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(