What a day for the #BBC yesterday

Lost all their #MOTD presenters after @GaryLineker wouldn’t apologise for criticising the government (read that again!😱)

And while that was obviously the big story, their bad day didn’t end there….

1/7
They announced they’d wouldn’t be airing the final episode of the latest #Attenborough series on TV for fear of a “Right Wing backlash”

WTF?

It will go out on iPlayer where the poor snowflakes won’t see it….

2/7
Then we had the statement about why #FionaBruce felt the need to clarify it was a “one off” when #stanleyjohnson put his wife in hospital😱

Yes, she was quoting one of their friends and not expressing her own opinion, but of all the things to ensure they clarified..?

3/7
Finally, an apology for NOT clarifying on air that Nadine Dorries was making unfounded, absurd claims when she was interviewed about #SueGray.

They were happy to let those accusations go unchallenged, but needed to add “balance” by pointing out SJ only beat his wife once!

4/7
I really want to support the BBC

Even more so because the government are so keen to shut it down (God knows why!)

I do hate the inherent right wing bias under the cover of “impartiality” but I try and give them the benefit of the doubt

5/7
But oh my God do they make that hard when they:

❌Silence govt critics
❌Refuse to air a show that might offend Right wing watchers (an Attenborough nature program FGS!)
❌Defend a Tory wife beater
❌Fail to correct spurious accusations made by a Tory MP

6/7
I really hope there are some serious emergency meetings taking place today after the shocking day they had yesterday

But given all the high level posts are held by well known Tories and Tory donors, I won’t hold my breath

Please, please #BBC, do better for all our sakes.😢

7/7
I’m being accused of lying with this thread. As far as I can tell the issue is with the Attenborough tweet.

The Guardian report what senior BBC sources have said.

The BBC are denying that’s the reason. Although they don’t really give a reason why they couldn’t broadcast it.
I don’t know which is “the truth”. Only the BBC and those senior sources do.

It was a 5 part series with a 6th part made by the same people but not commissioned by the BBC. However the BBC acquired it and chose to put it on iPlayer.

But I hope this clarifies things.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Emma 💛💙🇩🇰🇬🇧🇪🇺

Emma 💛💙🇩🇰🇬🇧🇪🇺 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @MonkEmma

May 1
Imagine being the Prime Minister of a country and celebrating the decline of what can be considered one of Britain’s greatest exports - Education. 🙄

Sunak posting one of his stupid tweets has made me cross, so here comes quick(ish) thread! 🧵

1/16 Image
UK Universities have attracted the world’s elite for decades, if not centuries!

The UK is the second most popular destination for international students after the USA.

Despite comprising only 0.84% of the worlds population, we have 4 of the top universities in the World

2/16
International students bring in around £20 BILLION a year into our economy through:

Tuition fees
All their living and spending costs
Families visiting and spending money

In fact they and their visitors support over 940,000 jobs in the UK

3/16
Read 16 tweets
Apr 19
This is the message everyone should be taking home from today’s despicable announcement.

The number of people of working age with a health condition or a disability is going up.

And not because they’ve all suddenly become work-shy scroungers🙄

Long (sorry!) 🧵

1/25 Image
Shall we take a look at THAT rather than pretend the problem is that too many “undeserving” people are claiming long term sick benefits?

Maybe if those issues started to be addressed, some of these people could actually get better and get back to work🤷‍♀️

2/25
10.6 million working age people in Britain have a long term health condition (up from 8.5 million in 2016)

The majority are in work

2.8 million, however, are not (up from 2 million in 2019)

3/25
Read 30 tweets
Apr 5
The more I see this, the worse it becomes!

First the tweet itself - I addressed that last night 👇🏼

1/8
🧵

Next the claim: 2nd most powerful country?!

I’ve found 2 world rankings for power:

We rank 5th in both

1st US
2nd China
3rd Russia
4th Germany or India depending on the study
5th UK

2/8
The most comprehensive poll has us ranking 9th overall, down from 8th 2 years ago.

They rank us:

4th for entrepreneurship
5th for power
6th for cultural influence

And then pretty mediocre for everything else (45th in ‘open for business’😬)

3/8
Read 8 tweets
Apr 4
Talking down our country you say?

Let’s take a look at the people who’ve actually been talking down our country and our great British institutions….

🧵

1/9 Image
How did Cleverly describe Stockton, again?

Oh yes - a sh*t hole.

Nice 🙄

2/9 Image
Gullis - 15p Lee (I love that description!!) - describes his own constituents as savages, scrotes and scumbags 🤷‍♀️

3/9 Image
Read 11 tweets
Mar 29
Gosh, this sounds terrible.

Imagine losing 70% of your customers overnight…….

🤔

Or do we think someone might be being slightly economical with the truth?

Let’s dig in!

🧵

1/12 Image
Firstly - ULEZ.

ULEZ was expanded to cover this area on August 29th 2023 - 6 months ago.

Do we really buy that a wedding dress shop - a business which by its nature tends to be for one off purchases - actually saw a 70% fall in sales overnight?

2/12
BEFORE the ULEZ expansion over 90% of cars in that area were already ULEZ compliant

After the expansion 96.4% of cars in that area were ULEZ compliant

So, at most, that’s 6% fewer cars - some of which will have been upgraded, and some of which may well no be used as often

3/12 Image
Read 13 tweets
Jan 12
Hampshire Country Council have opened a consultation on what areas they should cut their services to 1.4 million residents, to ensure they meet their £132 million shortfall by April 2025 - following years of austerity cuts.

The options are pretty grim😢

🧵1/
1 - Adult social care charges

Rather than getting people to pay 95% of their care and support, we just go the full whack and charge them 100%

2/ Image
2 - Withdraw funding from grant programs that support voluntary, community and social enterprise organisations.

Given how much we now rely on volunteers to run things, making that EVEN harder doesn’t sound good

3/ Image
Read 20 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(