Talia Jane ❤️‍🔥 Profile picture
May 8, 2023 18 tweets 8 min read Read on X
Happening soon: Vigil for #JordanNeely
7pm at Broadway-Lafayette station.

I’m told far right propagandists are already at the station. They take footage to foment hate & far right causes. Image
On the ground at Broadway-Lafayette, TARU is setting up a surveillance dome. I’ve been told these domes contain facial recognition tech and livestream back to 1 Police Plaza, but I haven’t confirmed that.
A look at the SRG presence at this candlelight vigil. A white shirt walks over and says “I want the LRAD ready to go.”

Following, he says to the gaggle of SRG with him:
“If they go down the subway…(indiscernible). If they jump the turnstile, collar them.”
Looks like 2 teams of SRG just left to go into the subway, and another is continuing on the sidewalk.
NYPD Captain Beaudette comes over to tell organizers to cut their mic. Then when they cut the mic, he got on a megaphone and said they had to move because they were blocking the subway entrance.

A woman yells “I can get in just fine!” twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Mass arrests. One man bleeding heavily from the head.
Vigil organizer talks about how the NYPD arrested people protesting for #JordanNeely but have not arrested the man who strangled him to death. twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
NYPD Beaudette had told the organizers they couldn’t use amplified sound or it would be taken from them. They repeatedly interrupted the organizers attempting to hold a vigil. They noted they’ve used the sound system since 2020 and it’s never been a problem.
This is the second vigil for #JordanNeely that the NYPD has disrupted, this time with bloody arrests.

This was just people talking on a street corner with some candles. Street preachers do that every day across the city without issue.
NYPD arrested a man walking with a cane who was standing next to the sidewalk but, due to the density of people behind him, couldn’t be on the sidewalk.

Then they arrested a @nytimes photographer documenting his arrest. They also grabbed at & forcefully shoved other press.
A man with a knife allegedly menacing at people prompted a protestor to tackle him down. NYPD showed up late, did not assist. Now NYPD is chasing people.
NYPD repeatedly playing “you are unlawfully in the roadway, you are ordered to disperse” but they’re the ones on the roadway…?
Protestors now marching to jail support at the 7th Precinct.

I believe 8-10 people were arrested.

2 who ran past the vigil and, I think, entered the subway. Then ~4-6 in response to NYPD using force to stop the use of amplified sound, then 2 for not being on the sidewalk. twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
What was supposed to be a vigil for #JordanNeely has turned into jail support. Again.

We’re also being monitored by an NYPD helicopter overhead, alongside TARU, SRG. Evidently NYPD called for all hands on deck.

For a vigil.
Far right propagandist gets booted from the crowd by several organizers. Overheard several people laugh. Crowd chants “Nah nah nah nah, Nah nah nah nah, Hey hey hey, Goodbye.”

This man doxxes, stalks, harasses people & for 3 years spread rumors among people to stoke infighting.
Filming the police presence, Capt. Gault turns his bodycam on just for me. Then, while filming badges, he starts screaming at me to get on the sidewalk, provoking other cops to do the same.

A photog behind me: “They’re in an arrest-y mood tonight.”
NYPD presence at the 7th Precinct now includes a drone, for some reason.
The vigil for #JordanNeely, which was violently disrupted by NYPD earlier tonight, is now being set up at the 7th Precinct.

An estimated 8-11 people are detained, but conflicting info as to whether they’re at the 7th or 9th. NYPD tends to fudge on that, will confirm when known. twitter.com/i/web/status/1…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Talia Jane ❤️‍🔥

Talia Jane ❤️‍🔥 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @taliaotg

May 27
NYPD claimed to protestors they used bodycam footage and a clip posted to social media to arrest people at jail support after arresting people during the George Floyd annual march. Likely saw the clip and then searched for it on bodycam.
This comes after NYPD stole my footage, cropped out the watermark, and chopped it up to make ludicrous propaganda justifying their brutality at the Nakba protest (people threw water (it was already raining!) and pieces of bread toward antagonistic cops wearing ballistic helmets).
It seems NYPD is trying to drive a wedge between the people who document protests and those who protest, to strengthen their nonsense complaints that everyone who films protests does so ~deceptively~ to delegitimize their reporting.
Read 6 tweets
May 21
I’d like to formally introduce you all to our good friend, Smokey the Bigot.

Smokey popped on my radar in Dec. 2023 where he joined Long Island Proud Boys Tony Pagano and Anthony Pagano Jr. to target a Drag Story Hour in Jackson Heights, Queens.

Smokey the Bigot was earlier spotted at a J6 “vigil” outside St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Jan. 2022 that was disrupted by a fart bloc, cross-confirmed when he showed up at Jackson Heights wearing his 1 shirt.

(this photo was “cleaned up” for image clarity but some parts are wonky)
Do you remember in March of this year when Councilwoman Vickie Paladino and the rest of the far-right councilmembers got super obsessed with squatters?

Paladino called for a rally outside a home in Bayside, Queens that squatters lived in after weeks of failing to get them out. Image
Read 7 tweets
May 9
NYPD Chief of Patrol John Chell and Commissioner of Operations Kaz Daughtry, both of whom who’ve engaged in bizarre attacks on social media against journalists, politicians, & critics appear to be absent from today’s City Council budget hearing.

Live now: council.nyc.gov/#location-cham…
Chief of Transit Michael Kemper, who also participates in Chell & Daughtry’s dogpiles, seems to also be missing?
NYPD Commissioner Cabán’s opening statement starts with Diller, the cop who was shot and killed in a traffic stop, then shifted to defending NYPD’s presence on subways, then defended NYPD’s actions against protestors.
Read 9 tweets
Apr 29
Palestinian students at Otto von Guericke University in Magdeburg, Germany received an email from the school that they’ve been recategorized as “stateless” due to governmental “changes in the statistical requirements.”

Germany no longer recognizes Palestinian as a nationality. Image
I reached out to the student who shared this email if they knew how many students at OVGU are Palestinian, now “stateless,” and they said students don’t have access to data like that, but said “there are many.”
Asked how news that their university, and the government of Germany, has changed their nationality from Palestinian to “stateless” feels to receive, the student at OVGU who reached out to me said:

“Absolutely mortifying. It's the bravado oozing from the email, 'sorry that it offended you' and the way this was just finalized? I get that it's a government documentation thing, but how can one simply do this and know that there are actual people on the receiving end, who have lived there, have families there, to write it all off as stateless, as if one can quantify the number of people on a map.

Incredibly disappointing and disheartening.”
Read 5 tweets
Apr 27
A pattern seems to be emerging:
- Students launch a Gaza Solidarity Encampment
- University uses state force to sweep, arrest, suspend, evict, & brutalize students based on “safety concerns” or deceptive/false claims of antisemitism
- GSE relaunches with even more support
Are the universities figuring out they’re doing a Streisand Effect? Or that they could’ve just engaged in dialogue with the students? And if so, why does it take University-approved police violence for them to come to that obvious realization?
Given this pattern, I would not be surprised if strategic efforts were underway to try cooking up examples of antisemitism to appeal to pro-genocide critics (whose weaponization of antisemitism has thus far been used to suppress all dissent) as justification to sweep.
Read 5 tweets
Apr 18
NYPD entered @Columbia campus, led by Chell & Daughtry. SRG shouldered their way past students, then played a recording about an “unlawful encampment” and that students would be charged with trespassing.

At least a thousand students watching, yelling “Shame!” at NYPD.
NYPD arrested at least 30 @Columbia students holding a peaceful demo calling on the university to divest and to end its political repression of pro-Palestine student activists.

They also detained 2 legal observers.
@Columbia NYPD Commissioner Edward Caban leaves the Gaza Solidarity Encampment at @Columbia where dozens of students have been detained by NYPD for trespassing on their own campus.

Students don’t seem to recognize him specifically, but greet him as they would any cop.
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(