Julien Jomaux Profile picture
Jun 5, 2023 10 tweets 4 min read Read on X
Will large-scale #batteries store the energy when it is cheap and sell it back when expensive? My short answer is no.
A short thread. (1/10) Image
Volatility is on the rise with renewables, especially solar. Just check what happened last week in Europe. Very low and negative prices all other Europe for lunch. (2/10) Image
Solar was clearly one of the main factors. The residual load in Germany getting close to zero (negative in the Netherlands). (3/10) Image
So, we are at the age of the canyon curve... (4/10) Image
Should we install large-scale batteries to store excess energy and gives it back during the evening?
No, it is far from making economic sense today (happy to discuss assumptions). Basically, one spread per day is not enough to justify investing in large-scale batteries. (5/10) Image
I am not the only one to say that, I believe. @iain_staffell (6/10) Image
Or check the calculated revenues in this great study (sciencedirect.com/science/articl…). Far from justifying investing in large-scale batteries. (7/10) Image
Should we do any large-scale batteries? Yes, we should! But not for energy arbitrage...but for power reserves, very-short term portfolio management (balancing, intraday), renewables integration, grid congestion, ... Just not to store a lot of energy and give it back later. (8/10)
But probably the true potential is with Electric Vehicles. The stored energy would be much larger...of course, these batteries are not primarily made for that, so the potential is much lower. Still, great potential...if we have incitative tariffs. (9/10) @RWTH Image
If you like this thread, you can follow my work here: (10/10) Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Julien Jomaux

Julien Jomaux Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JomauxJulien

May 1
Day-ahead prices are low today in Europe.

Here is for Germany. Going down to -120 €/MWh.

With these prices, you have much less flexible gas power plants running. And price for flex can be very high.

A short thread 🧵

1/4 Image
As I explained here, you have 30 GW more must run supply in the market.

Consequence of not forcing solar to stop producing during negative hours.

2/4linkedin.com/posts/julien-j…
But if there was a mismatch between the renewables forecast for the next day and the reality, the system might be short.

With little flexible assets running, power for flexibility is very expensive. Imbalance prices skyrocket.

We saw that this morning at +3000 €/MWh.

3/4 Image
Read 4 tweets
Apr 20
You think that it is not right when people use LCOE to compare solar and nuclear?

You are right. But you should extend the reasoning behind that to all aspects

The core reason is the time-varying nature of the electricity value.

Let's explore 🧵

1/11
Historically, the electricity value was quite constant. When you burn stuff, the cost is relatively flat. See here for a random week in Germany 2017. For days, the hourly price does not vary more than 5 €/MWh

(but it crashed already in the weekend as we burned less)

2/11 Image
Fast-forward to today, you have the hourly price of electricity that varies from - 60 to +120 €/MWh in the same week (without speaking about intraday and balancing markets).

That's because renewables are much more present. When you burn less stuff, prices start to move

3/11 Image
Read 11 tweets
Apr 19
/1/The rise of large-scale batteries.

If you are in the power sector, large-scale batteries are set to change grid operations, as their ramp rates are extremely high.

They will cover all power reserve needs in the coming years.

Let's discuss in a 🧵

1/6
Batteries are coming, fast, in large quantities and bigger.

Here, is a project for 600 MW in Belgium (4-hour storage).

2/6 Image
One of the particularity of a battery is that it can ramp up and down extremely fast. From - max to + max in less than a minute.

For this battery park alone, that would be around 10% of the Belgium grid load in less than a minute.

3/6
Read 6 tweets
Apr 19
I love the hydrogen ladder from @MLiebreich. If you do not know it, please have a look.

I think that besides the first line and probably steel + chem. feedstock, hydrogen will simply not be used (at least in my career and I am 35).

Let's discuss one: Long-term storage 🧵
1/8 Image
Long-term storage for electricity is our ability to save some energy in one month and give it back a few months later.

Often forgotten, we do already have that in Europe. It is called hydro with reservoirs. Collectively we can store around 2 weeks worth of consumption.

2/8 Image
It is mostly in the North (Norway and Sweden) but not only. Spain has currently 3 weeks of consumption stored.

Also, a potential in the Alps and the Balkans.

And we are going to interconnect increasingly our countries.

3/8

Read 8 tweets
Apr 11
Right in time for spring ;-)

605 MW: what could be the impact of such project on capture rate for solar?

Let's calculate together

1/5

pv-magazine.com/2024/04/10/eur…
Using this formula:

605 MW : around 600 GWh, 0.12% of market share gained.

Capture rate to decrease by 0.00468.

Capture rate in 2023 was 0.756, so, it will impact it by 0.62%.

2/5

0.00468 seems small but multiplied by 53 TWh (2023 prod) multiplied by a baseload price of 70 €/MWh, that is 17.3 M€.

Compared to the project revenues: 70 €/MWh * 0.75 * 600 GWh = 31.5 M€.

3/5
Read 5 tweets
Apr 10
Rooftop solar in Germany is going to have a massive impact on electricity markets.

It is expected that close to 96 GW of solar will be installed.

And this is rooftop solar is very inflexible.

1/5 Image
It is inflexible because you will receive a fixed amount independent of the markt price. From 6 to 13 c€/kWh, depending on the size and if you auto-consume or not.

2/5 Image
The issue is that if you give a fixed amount without considering the market price, you do not incentivize flexibility at all.

Well, already many instances with prices at 0 when it is sunny.

3/5 Image
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(