It turns out it could be more key than I realized. businessinsider.com/jd-gordon-trum…
(1) Suddenly scheduled a national security meeting;
(2) Developed a full Ukraine policy;
(3) Decided to order his team to make a pro-Kremlin amendment to the RNC platform on Ukraine.
1. Paul Manafort went to visit Julian Assange at the Ecuadorian embassy in London (Assange would later release Kremlin-stolen materials to help Trump);
2. The Kremlin approached Papadopoulos.
...*if* we didn't know that he'd just learned about Papadopoulos' Kremlin contacts.
...which of course then occurred in the first week of June 2016.