African Index Profile picture
Jul 27, 2019 8 tweets 5 min read Read on X
This picture of #Mogadishu, #Somalia, in 1958 destroys the myth from my northerners that the blue flag was a northern thing. Way before June 26, 1960, the flag stands side by side with the Italian and UN flags. The south was placed under UN trusteeship still administered by Italy
Part of the problem in Somalia is that proper history is not often taught. Lessons are almost always delivered in a biased and tainted manner with shortsighted tribal motives. As I grew older, I discovered much of what my Isaaqs have been feeding me were nothing but lies.
Myth 2-1: My northerners claim they secured independence for the south. Degehtur monument commemorates Somali protest against reinstating of Italians under UN mandate in 1949. Allies defeated Italy in 1941. British military administration (BMA) governed the south (1941-1949).
By 1943, the south already set up Somali Youth League party to pave the way for self rule. By 1950s they were working with foreign powers for the transition and birth of Somali nation. Attached are 2 images of Hargeisa and Mogadishu in 1950s. It's clear which is ready for state.
I've mentioned the Degehtur incident which left 2 Somalis dead, 50 injured and 10 British soldiers dead is because the UN won't ready to introduce new administration. Yet in the north they convinced themselves, the UN relinquished its trusteeship within five days (June 26-July 1)
It was a long process in which the likes of SYL sow its seeds in 1943. Here is the statement and lobby work of Abdullahi Isse, the first Somali PM under UN trusteeship (1956) and SYL member.
He was succeeded by Egal in 1960 as the new PM.
Statement by Abdullahi Issa, representative of the SYL and Hamar Youth Club, before the first committee General Assembly, United Nations, October 7, 1949
Concerning the decision to be made concerning the future of Somaliland as an independent nation free from Italian rule.
Somali independence: the truth. In this posts, RIP to many lies.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with African Index

African Index Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @africanindex_

Jan 15, 2020
Somalia long before the Wahabi invasion. Now days they will suicide bomb anyone dressed like this or enjoying their ancient culture. They would suicide bomb my handle if they could. Image
Somalis welcoming Somali delegates during an exhibition of Somali products in Germany 1973
Somali women 1964 vs 2020 ImageImage
Read 7 tweets
Jan 1, 2020
Ethiopia is home to over 80 different ethnic groups but dominated by the Cushitics and Semitic Habesha groups.

Meet the Gamo, a Cushitic from southern Ethiopia. They number around 16 million.
The Gurage are another southern ethnic belonging to the Semitic groups. They are traders, craftsman and are distributed throughout the country. Merkato in Addis is the biggest market in Ethiopia. They call it home and the song pays homage to the market. They number about 2m.
Amhara are the second largest ethnic group in the country after the Oromo. Amhara ruled Ethiopia on and off. Amharic, member of the Semitic, is the official national language. Only the Agaws, Cushitics, ruled longer (Zagwe and Fasilides dynasties).
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(