Elliot Tapper Profile picture
Jun 17, 2021 18 tweets 8 min read Read on X
1/
Why do we use NAC (n-acetylcysteine) for tylenol overdose?

A #tweetorial

tylenol is also known as paracetamol, acetaminophen, APAP
#livertwitter #meded #medtwitter
2/

Every year in the US alone, >50,000 acetaminophen overdoses are reported to poison centers, causing >110 deaths. Overdose can be intentional, though often accidental, always tragic.

There's an antidote: NAC. It saves lives.

Want to know how it was discovered?
3/

In the 1970's, Drs. Laurie Prescott & Roger Williams showed people were dying of APAP overdose in the UK
Then Mitchell et al released 6 papers showing why & what to do. Their 1st paper confirmed APAP dosing was key & showed that liver injury was due to p450 metabolism
4/

The 2nd Mitchell paper showed:
1⃣Liver damage is directly proportion to covalent binding of an unknown toxic metabolite
2⃣The binding happens in centrilobular liver
3⃣Treatments that reduce the toxin's covalent binding lead to reduced liver injury
5/

The 3rd Mitchell paper showed APAP liver damage is caused by a P450 metabolite, happening:
1⃣When NADPH is available
2⃣By oxidation

It's prevented by glutathione/cysteine, showing that glutathione’s role is to protect cellular proteins from attack by toxic metabolites
6/

The 70% rule for glutathione:

The 4th Mitchell paper showed liver damage, caused by covalent binding of the toxic metabolic to liver proteins, happens when 70% of the liver's glutathione is depleted (the 5th paper repeated experiments in a hamster model)
7/

The full picture:

Then Mitchell showed that most APAP is metabolized by glucoronidation, some by sulfation, and that liver injury happens when these pathways are overwhelmed by overdose and glutathione stores are 70% depleted leading to the p450 oxidative pathway
8/

Based on these landmark studies, the authors summarized their work with this diagram - which we all learn today. It has been modified slightly as we learn more about the specific p450s involved
9/
From bench to bedside:

Mitchell gave 🐁 Cysteamine to replete glutathione. It worked. While waiting for his paper to publish, he told Laurie Prescott about it. She gave it to 5 patients with APAP overdose. It WORKED. But it made ppl feel🤮🤮. We needed something else
10/

Concerns were raised about Cysteamine. It made people feel like garbage. It wasnt commercially available. But Dr. Laurie Prescott suggested NAC would prob work just as well

So Piperno, in the US, tried it out (in mice). Prescott was right. NAC worked better!
11/

NAC, unlike cysteamine, was available as mucomyst, an oral medication with no safety concerns, even if it smelled like rotten eggs!

So a pediatrician named Barry Rumack got approval from the FDA for a multicenter trial
12/

Why no RCT?

Originally an RCT was planned but was scrapped after advocacy from Dr. Prescott in the Lancet and others questioning the ethics of with-holding treatment. A multicenter study (with central lab) was launched instead
13/

The nomogram

The trial would analyze the data for people at high risk of liver injury. Using Prescott's data, Rumack drew a line separating high from low risk based on the APAP level and time from ingestion. The FDA required a 25% fudge factor. And history was made.
14/

NAC dosing protocol

The dose and duration of oral NAC was derived stoichiometrically, matching NAC to glutathione molecule for molecule over 4 APAP half-lives based on the Mitchell experiments. The UK’s IV protocol was likely taken from the oral protocol
15/

NAC WORKS

Here's the data:
1⃣The earlier the better!
2⃣Overall Mortality was 0.43%, 1.3% for high risk, 3.1% for high risk patients outside 16 hours

Oral was approved in 1985, IV in 2004. PO & IV are prob equivalent. But IV is def easier to give. So, IV it is!
16/

Did I say no RCTs of NAC?

Actually, there's one – small but important

In patients with established acute liver failure - beyond the treatment window, Roger Williams showed improved survival.
17/

Summary:
1⃣Tylenol/APAP overdose has an antidote, NAC
2⃣The discovery of NAC came from understanding the physiology of APAP metabolism
3⃣When the liver's glutathione stores are 70% depleted, injury occurs
4⃣NAC replaces glutathione
end/

Thank you for reading this #tweetorial on the discovery and use of NAC - a true life saver. I hope you enjoyed. I would like to thank Barry Rumack (who helped me with background research for this), Laurie Prescott, and Roger Williams for their work that I apply on the wards

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Elliot Tapper

Elliot Tapper Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ebtapper

Jun 9, 2023
WHAT is the deal with Milk Thistle?
WHY is it used to treat liver disease?
HOW does it work?
DOES it work?
ARE you ready for a #tweetorial?
🧵
#medtwitter #livertwitter Image
Milk Thistle, a history:
1⃣Use to treat snake bites (Dioscorides)
2⃣To carry off bile (Pliny the Elder)
3⃣Great for liver disease (1500's: Otto Brunfels)
4⃣In 19th Century 🇺🇸, the 'Eclectics' popularized herbology, especially milk thistle, for the liver ImageImageImageImage
Fast forward to today:
1⃣Herbal supplements are a multibillion dollarindustry
2⃣A quarter of the population takes an herbal supplement
3⃣~5% of the US population is using Milk Thistle, including 12% of people with liver disease

What do they get out of it? ImageImage
Read 12 tweets
Jun 4, 2023
I once did a cost effectiveness analysis comparing shotgun vs deliberate testing for elevated ALT

pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27717864/ @JHepatology

We found that broad testing didn’t add much costs but increased false positives, especially when pretest probability of NAFLD was high
Then, In this RCT, John Dillon comparing usual care to broad evaluation of elevated liver enzymes, the cost per incremental diagnosis was 284💷 but was def cost-effective

pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31226388/
I don’t know of many examples of RCTs that confirm or support cost-effectiveness analyses so

A) cool!
B) understanding the differences in the results hinges on the assumptions in the model and the design of the RCT
Read 4 tweets
Jun 4, 2023
How to read a cost-effectiveness paper

This is a powerful method. But poorly understood, often maligned. My goal is to improve critical appraisal and help good analyses get the appreciation they deserve

🧵#MedTwitter CEA: cost-effectiveness analysis
A decision must be made!

All CEA begins with a clinical decision where we are uncertain about the best path forward. Nevertheless, when we face patients we must do something, even if that something is nothing. CEA brings our dilemma to life. Helping us quantify trade offs
Usually we compare a fair description of usual care to an alternative - make sure you agree the choice is fair, realistic, and represents an actual clinical dilemma
Read 20 tweets
Jun 2, 2023
An older man comes to the ED with abrupt onset nausea, & diarrhea

He is joined by her daughter whom he is visiting from abroad

Testing is below
The diagnosis is unclear
Until his daughter got just as sick too
🧵
#livertwitter #liverstory #MedTwitter Image
ALT >1000 has a narrow differential diagnosis

There's lots of tests you can order.
But most diagnoses are made in the H+P

Like this one

In fact, in this case, my attending said the diagnosis was obvious from the beginning

Just not to me
When I meet someone with ALT>1000, I think:

1⃣Ischemic hepatitis. Right 🫀failure? 🫀-genic shock? Cool legs?
2⃣Biliary 🪨. Pain? imaging!
3⃣Drug induced liver injury. Tylenol? Run every med through livertox.gov
4⃣Viral hep. Hep A/B/C

But these weren’t the answers
Read 16 tweets
Feb 6, 2023
The correct answer is variceal bleeding

First, the lactate is up. Take this patient seriously
Second, the obvious clues are lower hemoglobin, platelet consumption.
Third, the ammonia is crazy high. This seals the deal for variceal bleeding.

Why is that?

next slide please
Ammonia is a biomarker of badness

1. Liver dysfunction
2. Portosystemic shunting
3. Dehydration, renal injury (🫘eliminates nh3)
4. Sarcopenia (💪eliminates nh3)
5. Malnutrition

6. And upper GI bleeding
Where is all that ammonia coming from?

The answer is hemoglobin and albumin are isoleucine-poor. This means that when our blood enters the gut, it is not a nutritious source of protein. It gets broken down for waste. That waste, my friends, is ammonia
Read 9 tweets
Oct 12, 2022
5 steps toward a killer talk
🧵
1️⃣practice by recording yourself on the memo app. Listen next day while walking. Refine. Repeat.
2️⃣stay on time, preferably under. If 10 min slot, 9. If 15, 12. If 30, 25.
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(