I posted a tiktok video talking about alexithymia. I’m going to try to do a whole series using the #ndconcepts hashtag and then reshare here as I go.
And here’s one talking about a key insight in my own life that I learned from the always incredible @ahandvanish — it turns out that emotions make way more sense when you realize they’re senses.
On CPTSD — this cuts off the last bit, which explains my theory as to why so many ND people have cPTSD. Go watch it on tiktok, I’m mykola_b there
On autism and puns!
On #neurodiversity and why of course we experience rejection sensitivity.
Wow I hate how my face/hair are framed in this one. But anyway, here’s Time Blindness.
Here’s #adhd and what we call “dead time”.
Here’s prosopagnosia, or face blindness. #ndconcepts
Here’s aphantasia:
Here’s a dedicated #ndconcepts video for toxic shame, which is almost its own ND trait.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Myk - 🇺🇦🌻🇵🇸🍉 - Here To Help

Myk - 🇺🇦🌻🇵🇸🍉 - Here To Help Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @mykola

Apr 6
This. Like, I am not actually a luddite re: AI but I understand why so many people are. ("luddite" is not derogatory here, they were a labor rights movement).

What makes me sad is that this tech could be created with human values but we let the technology brothers "handle" that.
All these people talking about AI alignment, "how do we make AIs with values aligned with humans", and nobody out there saying "maybe we should pay people for training data" for instance.

Like, the bullet was fired and y'all are trying to steer it instead of aiming the gun.
This is why I can't e.g. share the utopian joy of the e/acc folks - because fundamentally I see them as ignoring a huge amount of salient context.

Yes the predicted "tech singularity" does in some ways seem to be happening. The tech advances are staggering, and speeding up. But.
Read 7 tweets
Mar 10
Cognition is an escape. Thinking deeply is a form of dissociating from your somatic experience. Losing yourself in abstractions means not feeling your feelings.

And if you get really lost you forget you even have feelings, perceiving them more as muddy incoherent thoughts.
Got a client who has been so lost for so long, they built all these systems of thought and nothing is helping.

I’m having them put those down and spend time exploring non-cognitive ways of knowing, and after a ten minute reflection today it clicked. “I get it! Holy shit!”
I think of my work these days almost as a sort of midwifery - I’m helping people finish being born, finish coming into their full selves, finish waking up. (“Finish” well sort of, continue?)

All the terror and confusion sloughs off at once, sometimes.
Read 7 tweets
Jan 31
Have you thought about Amadeus since realizing you were autistic?

Salieri, the high-masking autistic composer to the king, meets Mozart, the unmasked autistic whose talent is as far beyond Salieri as Salieri’s is beyond the king.

To the king they are the same. Salieri SEETHES.
The brilliance of this movie is that long before most of us had the language for this stuff this movie gave us the whole picture, and we recognized it.

The plot is a sort of musically-inflected retelling of Dostoevsky’s The Idiot, and the casting is so perfect.
Self-hating and high-masking and shame-filled autistics HATE the way this movie makes them feel. (Ask me how i know!)

But once you heal you understand that it’s a deep tragedy, that the self-loathing it evokes wouldn’t let you hide from the fact that you were Salieri.
Read 9 tweets
Jan 16
2024 is the year it all comes crashing down. I’ve never had so many suicidal friends at once.

Listen, everyone: things are hard and going to get harder. Now is the time to support each other. Now is the time to help in ways you’ve never helped.

Or what’s the point?
Let 2024 be the year you invite that friend to use your guest room and shush them when they try to pay.

Let 2024 be the year you realize your tech salary could change three lives without you feeling it.

You’re saving those dollars for retirement? Oh, honey. No.
If you’re 40 or under I don’t want to alarm you but retirement isn’t in your cards. Not like you think.

You want to invest in your future? Great. Do that by investing in other people, today. Help them have a future. Be in community.
Read 7 tweets
Jan 6
The day I understood that the purpose of most mass media - especially the news, and double especially political mouthpieces - is to *tell neurotypical people what they are supposed to feel* is the day a lot of shit made horrific sense.
They don’t just tell you what happened, they do so in coded language. The exonerating tense, the passive voice, the way they fetishize American military violence. It’s in what gets covered and what never gets discussed.

American media is about orchestrating emotions at scale.
Disney is a master of this, it’s sort of the whole point of the MCU. They can show you an atrocity then cut to Captain America either looking sad about it but accepting it, or screaming about how it’s not okay, etc.

Whose excess is tolerated, as someone recently named.
Read 10 tweets
Aug 30, 2023
Please do your shadow work. 🙏
In concrete terms: all the devils and demons and monsters in fantasy are real, and they live inside of us. They are every bit as much a part of us as all of the guardians and angels.

Our culture teaches us to fight them. But that's war against yourself.

Shadow work: love them.
If you refuse to do this work, then there are going to be situations in your life where you are toxic or even abusive but you will literally not be able to see it. You may recognize the abuse, but you will blame someone else for it because that *can't* be you.

And like. No.
Read 17 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(