Tamara Hinz Profile picture
Aug 27, 2021 8 tweets 5 min read Read on X
A few slides that I thought were particularly important from tonight’s #Covid19Sk physician town hall:

Firstly, this should be no surprise that Sask holds the dubious distinction of being among the highest rates of COVID-19 in the country. Dark blue = bad.
The % change columns are important and have basically flatlined into the lowest rates in the country. @skgov wants to put all their eggs in the vaccine basket but also shows no willingness to find ways to increase uptake. Other jurisdictions tell us that vaccine mandates work.
Canadian modelling from the end of July shows what case rates will do when restrictions are dropped. Look what happened? We are tracking, within margin of error, right along that horrible vertical slope.
Why is this all relevant? Look what is happening to our #COVID19SK hospitalization numbers. Even as a lagging indicator, there is no doubt that the decisions of our government are leading to sharp upticks in ICU and non-ICU admissions (note that ICUs are already full).
We do not currently have the workforce to increase testing rates (as long lineups in #yxe have shown) or keep up with contact tracing. People testing + for COVID are being asked to contact all their own contacts. I’m not sure what happens if people are unwilling or unable.
Public health issued pleas to us that really are directed to decision makers within the @SaskParty. The 5 bullet points in red are the asks that we desperately need in place in order to get a handle on this situation.
Finally, we heard another grim report of the status of Saskatoon’s ERs from my friend Dr @Brent_Thoma. Staffing shortages are **already** leading to unsafe and substandard care. EMS tied up with patients waiting for beds means that ambulance response times may be affected.
As my pal @WheatNOil eloquently tweeted, now is not a great time to get sick or injured - #COVID or otherwise.
How can you help? Amplify messages like this. Share your concerns with your MLAs and Premier. And work to get your friends and family vaccinated.
Please stay safe ❤️

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Tamara Hinz

Tamara Hinz Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @hinz_tamara

Oct 6, 2023
Lack of appropriate and safe community options also severely impacts inpatient mental health care and, frustratingly, this often means dealing with different government ministries that don’t seem to communicate or care about the others’ budget
🧵
Hospital beds obviously fall under Health but community placements are the responsibility of Social Services and, sometimes, ICFS under federal jurisdiction. There is a severe lack of homes for youth and adults with developmental disabilities who sometimes act aggressively.
Governments like to pat themselves on the back over “deinstitutionalizing care,” when all they’ve done is transfer these vulnerable citizens, to prisons, shelters, and hospitals.
Read 8 tweets
Aug 22, 2023
As a child psychiatrist, I have grave concerns about this entire release, but this part in particular that got buried at the end:
“The province also announced parent/guardian consent for students under 16 will now be required to change a student’s name or pronouns in the school.”
Many patients have evolving gender identities. Sometimes being trans sticks and other times (though less often) kids revert back to their gender assigned at birth; identity formation is the literal ‘job’ of adolescence. They lead the way and I try to use their preferred names/
pronouns. It always saddens me when kids don’t feel safe or comfortable using the names and pronouns they prefer around their own families. It’s not uncommon that schools end up being the more welcoming environment where kids feel more free to be themselves.
Read 7 tweets
Mar 18, 2023
“Using an [FOI] request, Global News obtained internal government messages that show Shahab told provincial leaders the healthcare system would be overwhelmed more than a month before patients were transferred to Ontario.”

1/3
This is not surprising but still incredibly infuriating to read.

Anyone tracking our ICU capacity and infection rates knew we were on a collision course to collapse.

2/3
Every single citizen is owed an apology from the Sask Party for the additional lives lost, the unnecessary HCW trauma, and the countless tests, procedures, and surgeries that were cancelled as we scrambled to save lives that our government didn’t seem to care about.

3/3
Read 4 tweets
Oct 5, 2022
I knew our current healthcare crisis would trigger a descent into two-tiered medicine but I didn’t realize that American-style primary care was already happening right here in Saskatchewan 💔:

neroshouse.ca

1/9
I don’t know the person behind this business, but I learned today that this clinic is offering private pay primary care and mental health services through nurse practitioners. A family med-style consultation will set you back $150 while a follow up runs $90 (one issue only)

2/9 ImageImage
Note that family physicians get paid about $75 for a complete assessment (aka ‘a physical’) and not quite $40 for a follow up — whether it takes 10 min or an hour.

Those with expertise in this area: are clinics like this in contravention of the Canada Health Act?

3/9
Read 9 tweets
Aug 13, 2022
Well, I avoided it for a while but I finally brought myself to read through the “child training” manual written by Keith Johnson, former pastor of the church now called Mile Two.

Trigger warning: predictably it is incredibly distressing and problematic.

#LegacyOfAbuse
The entire method centres around coercive control to produce meek and obedient children who will never question an adult (this is slightly besides the point, but this is absolutely the perfect recipe to groom children for sexual predators)

Remember: only the devil gives options.
Susanna Wesley (according to Wikipedia, the ‘mother of Methodism’) is praised for apparently disciplining her children “until their will was broken.”

Consider me a liberal humanist because yes, I am shocked and horrified.
Read 10 tweets
Feb 18, 2022
I think when we look back at our pandemic response, one of the biggest mistakes we made could be summarized as ‘not making it easy enough for people to do the right thing.’ 🧵

1/5
As soon as supply scarcity was no longer an issue, we should have made medical grade masks (and then N95s) free or subsidized and easy to access. Distribution sites like our testing kits in Saskatchewan would have been fantastic.

2/5
Speaking of, some people never sought out testing or used RATs bc they couldn’t afford the consequences of a (+) result. Paid sick time would have resolved this; same with those who didn’t get vaccinated due to the fear of missing work if they felt crappy the next day.

3/5
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(