Fred Wellman Profile picture
Sep 3, 2021 9 tweets 6 min read Read on X
Had an incredible day yesterday at the International Institute of St. Louis in our first mission with military volunteers from the region. On Weds morning they asked me if I could find 20 volunteers to help move some of the flood of donations from their site to their warehouse.
I wasn't sure if I could pull it off. I only started volunteering with them this week and hadn't really done any outreach to the organizations in St. Louis yet. But, I had an ace in the hole. I had waved down an Air Force Captain at @IISTL on Tuesday as he dropped off donations. Cars lined up to donate at IISTL
I intro'd myself and asked if he could help me at @ScottAFB with some connections. Well, Evan wasn't playing. The next morning I had an email with a host of POC's he'd already spoken to and wanted to help. I wrote 2 of them asking for 10 volunteers for the next day.
Friends...things went a little crazy. I was flooded with volunteers from across the Air Force and their families. @IISTL asked for 20...Thursday we had over 55 show up. We dove into it and emptied out half of the gym in about 2 hours and they wouldn't quit.
They drove trucks, organized the donations, took over the warehouse, directed traffic...on and on. It was incredible and I have a list of probably a hundred more who couldn't make it and want to help. There is plenty of work coming as our Afghan allies arrive.
If you're a veterans or military group in St. Louis, Illinois or Missouri hit me up on DM's and I will help you find ways you can help in your area...or frankly anyone in the country...I want to help you help our Afghan partners where you live. We are overwhelmed with donations.
I can tell you they really need money now. There is an actual cash need to support SIV's, refugees and especially parolees from Afghanistan as the varying support systems offer very little cash up front to help them settle and cover them until they can get work.
I'm begging you to please check with your local organization before running a donation drive. They have a lot now but need specific items. New items as much as possible. You can help us at @iistl with their official GoFundMe that is running now. gofundme.com/f/help-those-w…
If I can help anyone please reach out. I'm learning and am happy to learn more and share. Your local community needs you. You don't need to be a veteran or have any special skills, just a heart to give back to those who helped us. We must #WelcomeThemHere! #Afghanistan #StLouis

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Fred Wellman

Fred Wellman Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @FPWellman

May 17
Been a while since my last update on the lawsuit against me by disgraced former Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn. We filed all of our motions required by the federal court five weeks ago and haven't heard a response to date. Unfortunately it's time for more help. (1/4)gofund.me/cb070c3e
You may recall that Flynn's lawyers wanted a stay of the case while they appealed the state court ruling against them in their suit against @TheRickWilson. We opposed that motion and asked for accelerated process under Florida's anti-SLAPP statute. (2/4) documentcloud.org/documents/2451…
That was March 25th and we've had no movement since. Meanwhile even with pro bono primary counsel from @MarkSZaidEsq and @BradMossEsq our local counsel and support staff are not free and our funding is being drained. This lawfare is incredibly expensive to fight off. (3/4)
Read 4 tweets
May 7
A big thread on supporting Democrats. You may have seen my new series of videos called 'In the Hot Seat' on @meidastouch. So far I've interviewed 14 Dem candidates for House, Senate, and Governor across the country from Colin Allred in TX to Callie Barr in MI and more... (1/12)
From Andy Kim in NJ to Caroline Gleich in UT. They're incredible candidates in it for the right reasons. The biggest difference I see is usually funding. Some are functioning with sophisticated well funded campaigns. Many are trying to scrape by. (2/12)
I'm thrilled to get them attention like the amazing Chuck Hubbard a former local journalist taking on the awful MAGA Virginia Foxx in NC. But in the end I see they need help to put on a good race. It is a must. (3/12)
Read 17 tweets
Apr 17
The Speaker of the Missouri House @deanplocher decided he was above the law and Ethics Committee. His lawyers and allies intimidated witnesses, ignored investigators, and then voted down draft report. Now he wants to be Secretary of State! This is what a GOP super majority gets. @Kacen
Every single story is worse than the last. Unbelievable cover up actions. Direct intimidation of witnesses. Complete disregard for the citizens who pay his salary. The @MOHouseGOP is only interested in preserving their power. @KurtEricksonPD stltoday.com/news/local/gov…
He got caught manipulating the system to get a lucrative contract for a colleague. Then got caught charging the state for travel that his campaign had already paid him for. Then pretended a politician in office for 7 years just made a mistake. @J_Hancock missouriindependent.com/2023/10/23/rec…
Read 7 tweets
Mar 25
Update on the ongoing lawsuit against me by ex-Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn. His attempt to sue @TheRickWilson in state court for almost same accusations was dismissed by the court and he decided to appeal that decision. While doing so he wants to stay our case until it's resolved. (1)
Essentially they're arguing the cases are similar so they want to let it play out in state appeals court and put me on hold. Wilson's case was dismissed Jan. 30th. Our next deadline is this Weds, Mar. 27th. They waited 2 months. Here is their filing: (2) documentcloud.org/documents/2451…
Flynn's lawyers notified us on Feb 1 they were appealing Wilson. Then they filed an extension motion for their response to our dismissal and Anti-SLAPP motions until March 27th, which was granted. Then waited 7 WEEKS until just before that deadline to file their stay motion (3)
Read 10 tweets
Nov 16, 2023
Some personal news and an ask for help. As part of MAGA’s efforts to silence those who challenge them, Trump’s former NSA Mike Flynn, who pled guilty to a felony count of “willfully and knowingly” making false statements to the FBI, has filed a defamation lawsuit against me. (1)
This ludicrous pursuit asks for hundreds of millions of dollars over 3 tweets sent over a year and a half ago. This lawsuit is just one of many MAGA has been filing to silence those protecting American Democracy. I have built an incredible legal team to fight back pro bono. (2)
It still won't be cheap. We intend to vigorously fight back and demand justice. I'm not intimidated. I'm not scared. I went to war 4 times and am not one to back down from a fight. My hope is you would consider giving to my legal defense fund managed by @MarkSZaidEsq . (3)
Read 4 tweets
Oct 6, 2023
I am attending the @TheDemocrats Fall Meeting in St. Louis as @VP speaks to the Women's Caucus meeting which happens to be in a huge room with all of the attendees and media from St. Louis here. I have to play media so my seat sucks...lol. Image
Since it is the actual DNC Women's Caucus meeting that just happens to have the entire DNC attending they have to take care of some business first. Updated rules are approved and DNC Convention Chairman Minyon Moore introduced.
.@TheDemocrats Chairman @harrisonjaime is introducing the leaders and attendees of the Women's Caucus and DNC including Governor Gretchen Whitmer, Senator Tammy Duckworth, St. Louis Mayor Tishaura Jones, Congresswoman Barbara Lee...and of Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff.
Read 13 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(