1/ One more #NFL thing before the Day of Atonement. Last night's #MNF was very satisfying as a #Steelers fan. The ending of the game was nuts and I want to reproduce the nutty live-texts I sent to my sleeping son, not expecting it to become a saga of silliness.
2/ [11:31 PM] 55 yard FG to send it into overtime!

{Little did I know that this would be the least surprising thing of overtime. I should also add that many people expected BAL to go to the Superbowl and the Raiders to get a top 5 pick in the 2022 draft} Screencap from the ESPN app, score 27-27.
3/ [11:40 PM]: RAIDERS WIN
[11:41 PM]: wait hold up
[11:42 PM]: CORRECTION. will be at the half yard-line

{It was so exciting to think LV would get the ball and then just drive down the field and score. Of course, it couldn't be that simple. TD taken back.} ESPN screencap. 7:22 in OT, score still 27-27, LV in red zon
4/ [11:47 PM]: Oh my Lord Carr threw a pick in the End Zone

{Can you imagine this? A TD was taken off the board and three plays later the QB throws an interception in the goal, which gives BAL the ball at the 20 & a FG will win it for them. They have the best kicker on Earth} 3rd and goal on the BAL 5, which means 3 attempts after losi
5/ [11:53 PM]: Holy moley, now a strip sack fumble of Jackson! This game is on drugs

{Jackson is the BAL QB, a former MVP, and BAL has a kicker that is possibly the best in NFL history. And they turn the ball over.} 3rd & 7 on the BAL 33. Carl Nassib strip sack, fumble, recov
6/ [11:55 PM]: After a delay of game a TD by OAK/LA/LV!

{It was more a tennis match than NFL and a big underdog victory after it looked like they were out of FG range. I'm also making fun of the constant Raiders city changes} 2nd down & 14 (after the delay of game) and a stunning TD
7/ I didn't intend to flood my son's phone with all these messages but, were I in his situation, I think I would have enjoyed waking up and following the action and emotion step-by-step.

Hence why I'm sharing with y'all. #HereWeGo

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Joshua Cypess

Joshua Cypess Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JoshuaCypess

10 Oct
65.01/ Week sixty-five, Oct. 9-15, 2021, thread begins here.

Week 64 below.
65.02/ My name was captured by a bot yesterday... so how was your Shabbos?

Note: I have not given an interview about the Mets nor should that be of interest to anybody.
65.03/ Today is the first FootballMas since 2019! The happiest day of the year!

[FootballMas is when there are NFL games on at 9:30 EST, 1:00, 4:00 and 8:00. All day football is fun.]
Read 32 tweets
3 Oct
64.01/ Week sixty-four, Oct. 2-8, 2021, thread begins here.

Week 63 below.
64.02/ I blink & it's October which means 80% of people I follow change their names to something spooooky. That's when I need to put my anthropologist hat on because I just don't understand the whole macabre thing. Gimme Purim's clowns, puns and defeat - not embrace - of horror.
64.03/ For the #ALWildCard, like all red-blooded Americans, I'm rooting for a 4-way tie. This requires the Red Sox & Yankees lose and the Mariners & Blue Jays to win. Why? Uh... love of the game?
Read 31 tweets
26 Sep
63.01/ Week sixty-three, Sept. 25-Oct. 1, 2021, thread begins here. #MoadimLeSimcha #Sukkot

Week 62 below.
63.02a/ Cataloging: there are 9 days in this 5782 #Sukkot holiday cluster. 5 are Yom Tov or Shabbat, 2 are the days before. That leaves 2 actual full days to get anything done, Thursday and Sunday. Two day yuntifs are hard! By #SimchatTorah, I'm as spiritually dry as my aravot. Famous parody cover of a Be...
63.02b/ That great parody cover of The Berenstain Bears and "Too Much Yuntif" was evidently made by Rafi Skier as per this link below.

adventuresofatojg.tumblr.com/post/116578324…
Read 27 tweets
19 Sep
62.01/ Week sixty-two, Sept. 18-25, 2021, thread begins there.

Week 61 below
62.02/ A custom on #YomKippur is to wear a kittel, an all white garment that has ambivalent symbolism: men wear one under their wedding canopy and they are also buried in it. I mentioned to a physician friend that it can also be seen as "Jewish scrubs."
62.03/ "But life is ironic" is just boss-level shade. I mean, I have my theological differences with the pontiff, but I can imagine we see eye-to-eye about anti-vaxxers.(h.t. @dick_nixon)

Read 41 tweets
17 Sep
1/ Nearly every Shabbat & Yom Tov since I left the pulpit I've prepared a drasha & shiur that I know I won't be able to deliver. I've described that for many artists the need to produce the art overwhelms an actual audience. The art compels them.
2/ I define art broadly to encompass every creative faculty that arises from the multiple intelligences, talents & perceptions in human capability. We know singers or painters are artists, but so is a teacher or philosopher. IMO society doesn't define an art, humanity does.
3/ Not everyone who has artistic talent or drive or vocation needs to have a feeling of compulsion. My chiddush (intellectual innovation) is to say everyone with that need to create has the soul of an artist whether they are recognized or not.
Read 26 tweets
17 Sep
1/ Since the beginning of the #TrumpCrisis, I've had ever increasingly difficult #YomKippur davening because of the burden I feel to act as a 'sanegor' (defender) for my community and for the Jewish world at large.

(This is in addition to the vast ways I need to improve myself)
2/ I'm not a gadol, a posek, or anything close to a tzadik. But after seeing so many rebbeim & gedolim openly support Trump (ym'sh), erase women from Jewish life, and encourage anti-vax shtuyot, I considered the tenuous possibility that I would need to act as a communal sanegor.
3/ With the established leadership descending into avoda-zara (DJT), shefichat-damim (COVID denial) & arayot (dehumanizing women), I needed to step up - out of safek-nefashot - and use all of my halakhic, rhetorical & philosophical ability to devise kappara for the Am Kadosh.
Read 17 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Too expensive? Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal Become our Patreon

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us on Twitter!

:(