Naftali Kaminski Profile picture
Oct 3, 2021 8 tweets 10 min read Read on X
1/n So, what do I think, as a non-expert, son to holocaust survivors, about @VPrasadMDMPH's article, claiming #COVID19 restrictions could be used as blueprint for a future totalitarian regime, his analogy to Hitler's rise in Germany. @GYamey says it better
2/n Frankly, not much. My approach is, if you want to understand threats to democracy go to experts (I am not, @VPrasadMDMPH is DEFINITELY NOT) there are really good books, like @TimothyDSnyder's #OnTyranny. Check out this clip
3/n If you want to understand the road to Fascism, go to the experts like @jasonintrator (@VPrasadMDMPH is REALLY NOT an expert). Listen to this interview to understand real threats. Read @jasonintrator's book #HowFascismWorks. penguinrandomhouse.com/books/586030/h…
4/n Not to forget. Profs @dziblatt and #NotOnTwitter Levitsky wrote #HowDemocraciesDies in 2018. Highly recommended. Strange that @VPrasadMDMPH borrowed the sound of this title in his headline, but never mentioned it. Distinguish threat from hyperbole amazon.com/How-Democracie…
5/n Of course, if you know me, I always go back to Hannah Arendt, so if you want to understand the origins of Totalitarianism, you do not bother with hyperbole or writings of #NonExperts like @VPrasadMDMPH. Simply read #TheOriginsOfTotalitarianism textbooks.com/Origins-of-Tot…
6/n Don't forget (this is not ad-hominem @VPrasadMDMPH, but a simple truth) the claim that public health measures promote tyranny is key to the attack by those who wish to undermine democracy, support authoritarians @PeterHotez said it better
7/n As a Jew, son to holocaust survivors, student of Europe between Hitler & Stalin (h/t @TimothyDSnyder), I always see a bigger threat in those that accept death/disease among the poor & old, than in those that protect them. But I accept @GYamey's call & will not go there. Fin.
@VPrasadMDMPH There are additional really helpful, enlightning Books, I neglected during the initial thread. I recommend @ruthbenghiat's 'StrongMan', everything by @mashagessen , especially #SurvivingAutocracy (and no @VPrasadMDMPH is NOT an expert)

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Naftali Kaminski

Naftali Kaminski Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @KaminskiMed

Feb 16
1/n
Over 100 Yale faculty released a public letter to the future president of @Yale urging a steadfast commitment to academic freedoms, diversity, and progress.
In this 🧵 I outline the main points:
#YaleFuture
#LetterToNextYalePresident
letter is here docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAI…
2/n
Reject attacks that aim to undermine Yale’s mission and belittle importance of work on topics previously ignored, such as race, sexuality, gender, social & environmental justice, and civil & human rights.
#DefendAcademia
#LetterToNextYalePresident
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAI…
3/n
Recognize that critical thought and free speech on campus require structural support and protection With political pressures mounting, Yale has to stand for the protection of academic independence and freedoms. #FreeSpeach #LetterToNextPresident docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAI…
Read 10 tweets
Jan 19
1/n
Princeton President Christopher Eisgruber's "State of the University Letter" is a superb call for action against "virulent threats to academic freedom and institutional autonomy" saying #WeMustSpeakUp.
I agree!
see 🧵below
Full letter
#ThisIsOurLane princeton.edu/sites/default/…
2/n
After discussing briefly the turbulence of the last 3 months on US campuses, Eisgruber says it as it is: The outrage about antisemitism was used to attack progress in diversity, inclusion, and equity in US Universities.
I agree ( )
#WeMustSpeakUp haaretz.com/opinion/2023-1…
3/n
On Excellence.
Eisgruber reminds that the 'Good Old days' sucked academically.
The "Good Old Days" were days of exclusion.
of women. of blacks. of Jews. of poor. of LGBTQ+.
Those who speak fondly of those days, speak fondly of exclusion.
Reminder.
#WeMustSpeakUp

Read 8 tweets
Dec 8, 2023
I'm completely NOT on the manufactured rage bandwagon re the statements of MIT, Harvard, & Penn Presidents. In part because I actually heard their full testimony, but in part because I know what they did and what they did not do. Before you attack me read my 🧵 to the end 👇🏼
1/n
I do want to start by reminding all that the University Presidents did NOT do:
- The University Presidents did not kill, rape or abduct Israelis on October 7th
- They also did not bomb Gaza or kill thousands of Palestinian children & innocent adults
2/n
- The University Presidents did not ignore intelligence on a potential Hamas attack on southern Israel, or transfer Israeli military units from Southern Israel to support settlers' pogroms.
- The University Presidents did not perform terror attacks against Jews anywhere
Read 13 tweets
Apr 30, 2023
Attn @PresidentATS @CHESTPrez, @SCCMPresident - societies that hold conferences in states unsafe for women, LGBTQ, minorities, will lose them.
This👇🏼is already happening!
The following thread is inspired by
🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 Prof Jamieson for courage & leadership #ConferenceLocation🧵 ImageImageImage
1/n
When I posted my 11 tweets about going to national/international conferences in locations that have draconian #AbortionBans, I thought this was temporary, that societies, while having past commitments, will recognize this as an issue and change future locations. I was wrong
2/n
Societies keep scheduling #ConferencLocations with draconian #AbortionBans, anti #LGBTQ laws, as @GordonConf does. Even beloved @atscommunity plans to. This is putting members at a bind: To go & risk moral or physical injury or to not go & risk your career
#NotFair
Read 17 tweets
Feb 10, 2023
1/n
This is a 🧵about events that happened 40 years ago in Israel.
I was a freshman student at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem & attended a demonstration.
The demonstration ended with the murder of Emil Grunzweig, an Israeli teacher & peace activist. #RememberEmil
2/n The demonstration was against Israel’s criminal war on Lebanon, requesting accountability for those responsible for the Sabra & Shatila Massacre. We gathered in Jerusalem’s city center, marched with torches to hold a vigil near the Prime Minister's Office
#RememberEmil
3/n Our march encountered violent Rt wing counterprotests. I still remember the hateful faces, the spitting, the friends who got beaten, I also remember the “It’s a pity Hitler did not finish the work” Shouts. These were Jews shouting. I will never forget that.
#RememberEmil
Read 7 tweets
Sep 27, 2022
1/n
FINALLY OUT! "Airway basal cells show a dedifferentiated KRT17⬆️ Phenotype & promote fibrosis in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis"
In the following 🧵I explain some of the key findings of this Herculean work and why I'm so excited
#CureIPF #IPFABC
nature.com/articles/s4146…
2/n
In follow up to our previous work showing that airway basal signatures in BAL were markers of mortality (), Prof Prasse's team profiled IPF airway basal cells by #SCRNAseq & showed they were very different from normals
#IPFABC
atsjournals.org/doi/10.1164/rc…
3/n
Airway basal cells from IPF patients were also very functionally different, they made more organoids,m and had an impact on fibroblasts. Suggesting that they could be PROFIBROTIC - but could they drive fibrosis in-vivo?
#CureIPF #IPFABC
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(