Arnav Gupta Profile picture
Oct 27, 2021 15 tweets 10 min read Read on X
So I recently moved from #Delhi to #Bangalore and the easiest and fastest way I could move my work desk setup (monitors, PC, gaming chair) and my car was to stuff all that into the 🚗 and drive it all the way down.

So here's a smol thread 🧵 on a DEL-BLR road trip. Image
Day 1 was planned to be #Delhi to #Gwalior. But that would have left a very long 2nd day, so we planned to go a little further to Jhansi.

A complete chance browsing through @bookingcom led us to discover this beautiful Bundelkhand Riverside Resort at Orchcha to stay. Image
Day 1 was 425 km. Total drive time was 10hrs+, because we stopped at Agra to visit @TajMahal too.

Booked Hotel Atulyaa Taaj (apart from Oberoi Amarvilas, this is the nearest hotel to Taj) simply as an expensive parking spot 😅 as the car was loaded with stuff. Image
The Bundelkhand Riverside Resort is the haveli of the erstwhile Raja of Orchcha, and imho, the best possible place one can do a highway stop on the first leg of this trip. Highly recommended! ImageImageImageImage
Next day we went from Orchcha (Jhansi) to Nagpur.

In terms of road quality, we faced the worst stretches on this leg. Places where the highway goes through a city and is pretty much a city road. Places under construction/repair.

90% of it is still 100kmph level good. Image
Day 2 was 550 kms of driving. And thus again 10hrs on the road.

We stopped just a little before Nagpur inside the @PenchMP Tiger Reserve 🐯 to check out the resorts.

Sadly post COVID, all are at very low/nil occupancy. But worth staying if you have 2 spare days in the trip. Image
There's a lot of stretch of the National Highway that cuts through the tiger reserve. Despite tall barricades along the roads, monkeys on the road are a common feature.

We had to get out of Pench post sundown and it was spine-chillingly eerie to drive through the unlit jungle. ImageImageImage
Next day we drove down to #Hyderabad

This was quite a beauty of a drive. The amount of greenery, hills, valleys, small river crossings we saw around will be unparalleled. Great roads too, the whole stretch. Image
Not gonna lie, Hyderabad stop was all about @IKEA pilgrimage.

First time visit to IKEA, and totalllly worth it! Bought a bunch of things, and noted down a bunch more to order.

Protip: Good place to take out someone too 😅, won't run out of conversation starters. ImageImageImageImage
Day 3 was 500km, and we didn't stop at all (had to hurry to reach before IKEA closes) so covered it all in 8 hrs.

The last 50km stretch, the bypass around Hyderabad and the road to HiTech city were just 👨‍🍳🤌

Easily 150kph capable roads, 4 lanes throughout, well maintained! Image
At every stop I tried to stay at a good hotel, primarily because I wanted the car, laden to the brim with my stuff, to be parked properly.

@Westin at Hyderabad has one of the best breakfast buffet spreads, I figured, as a result. Definitely recommended just for the breakfast. ImageImageImageImage
Final leg - home run. Compared to the last 2 legs, where there would often be 30-40 min stretches of driving through literally middle of nowhere (no dhabas, no small towns, no civilisation), this whole leg is through quite populated areas. Not a single deserted stretch. Image
Day 4: Another 525 km.

Stopped at IKEA again in the morning 😅
Also stopped at @Lenskart_com as driving with the sun in the eye was starting to get to me. Buying shades helped a lot, albeit only on the last day.

Reached @peakbengaluru quite late into the night. Image
Thankfully journey ended at Indiranagar and didn't need to go upto @SonyWorldJn, or else would have had taken another 4 days to cross the stretch of deleted road at Koramangala😅😅

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Arnav Gupta

Arnav Gupta Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @championswimmer

May 11
Forget the typical “roadmaps” and other drivel the “get into tech” cottage industry on YouTube by a bunch of FAANG SDE1s has generated.

If you want to be an SDE2/SDE3 at a typical growth stage product engineering team (eg: Zepto, Upstox, Purplle, LivSpace) would love to get…
…here’s a few well articulated little assignments that’s gonna get you right there in the sweet spot of “highly desirable growth stage engineer” zone

The main pillars are
- structuring code neatly
- strong concurrency fundamentals
- can model non-trivial db schema
- utils 😜
**Structuring Code Neatly**

Rather than mugging up a bunch of theory about 99 types of design patterns and do a bunch of “LLD Courses” it is better to start off with tightly scoped little command line programs, play with the code, implement the same thing 2-3 times and start seeing the mess in your code and looking at ways it can be more “neatly” arranged so you don’t write the same lines multiple times and extending/changing the logic becomes “easy”.

Here’s some examples -

- parsing URLs into scheme, host, port,path,query etc (read the RFC that defines the URL standards)
- create a command line tic tac toe game, then try to write the “bot” that can play against a human
- create a command line “PC builder” - you need to provide a mobo, CPU, GPU, RAM,HDD to build, CPU & mobo socket must match, RAM & CPU speed must match etc

build them twice, or even better thrice (each time starting from scratch)
Makes you understand how rewrites happen
Gives you perspective when building again that you can pre-empt some issues you ran into first time

Once you’ve done this, then parallely reading up a bit of theory doesn’t hurt. Knowing the formal names of Builder pattern or using a visitor class is good. But first write some shitty code, then rewrite it, get to realise why it was shitty first, then learn all these design pattern “labels”
Read 6 tweets
Mar 7
1. All engineering teams need some "slack time" (not the chatting app)

2. All engineering teams should be slightly understaffed and perennially non-empty list of things to do

The biggest Engineering Management learning is to reconcile these two truths of work.
There is this famous book by Tom Demarco called "Slack" which is great read on why teams need some 'slack time' - i.e. if the team's capacity is to produce 200 units of work per week, then only plan for 175 units of tasks every week, and kee 25 units free to pick up tasks that come along the way.

Things break.
Suddenly things get re-prioritized.
You encounter weird corner cases working on something, and it takes more time to close.
Shit happens.

Always have some spare time to keep bandwidth for that.
That said, teams should always be a little understaffed.

Why?

Read this whole thread by @mipsytipsy (on @GergelyOrosz's reportage of Apple hiring policy through COVID)

Read 9 tweets
Jul 12, 2023
Declarative UI and one-way flow of state is something that invariably developers seem to prefer and all frontend engineering platforms have been progressively moving towards it.

The problem though lies that most developers starting out are not coached properly for it.
Let's try to understand the problem here.

Classically how UI is represented and how it triggers logic is a bit like this

UI interacts with some "controller" like layer which in turn interacts with local DBs or APIs.

That's pretty much the basic 'structure' to this model.
As UIs keep updating, more and more complexities take place.

More number of UI elements are 'interactive' - clicking, toggling, typing, scrolling them trigger different functions on the controllers, they fetch/save more stuff to the DB/API, more things in UI updates.
Read 25 tweets
Jun 1, 2023
How to travel if you're broke?

A thread 🧵 👇
1. Sell your Jaguar
0. Buy Jaguar with credit card
Read 5 tweets
May 31, 2023
Imagine you build a hyperlocal delivery app (like Swiggy/Delivery Hero/Uber Eats etc).

The top level API response for a user typically is all stores around them, typically paginated (infinite scroll etc) with info like name, rating, a thumbnail, estimated ETA etc
At the top level response the information you show is a aggregated/derived from many deeper levels. For example -

Rating: this is avg cumulative rating, that is affected as more ratings come in

ETA: this might depend on time of day / traffic conditions and user's location
Typically many of these large hyperlocal companies would have 10M daily active users. Each of whom open the app an average of 2~3 times a day, but 90% of it will be during peak time of day, hence you'll end up with say an API hit rate in the order of 1k to 10k rps
Read 17 tweets
May 9, 2023
So I find myself taking 8-10 interviews a week right now, and whenever you're in a hiring storm - out comes a lot of insights into the interview process, and potential learnings for people (both on hiring and job-searching sides).

So thus starts a thread.
This is my 3rd time in the middle of large, long drawn, hiring "campaign" for a big team about to expand into a large team. (Done it twice before at Zomato and Target - where you have a 50-60 headcount to fill, over a period of 2-3 months, across the usual job roles).
Over my time running engineering teams, I have come to the conclusion (that I guess all tech leaders come to) is that the malaise lies in engineers not "aligning" to what the "product" and/or not being able to communicate well to the product/business/design folks.
Read 18 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(