Peter Cowan Profile picture
Nov 26, 2021 9 tweets 3 min read Read on X
There are road washouts on the Trans Canada highway and it will take more than a week to reconnect, so how do CBC journalists get home? You take a ferry to another province of course. To get to St. John’s I’m headed to Sydney NS
Because my self and two colleagues from Radio Canada have a rental car we can drive to Halifax and fly back to St. John’s. It’s a 22 hour journey but it’s doable! My colleague @GarrettBarry isn’t so lucky
First it’s a 7:30 long crossing from Port aux Basques to North Sydney. Then Garrett gets to wait 10 hours, for a 16 hour crossing to Argentia, then a 3 hour drive to Gander. That’s a more than 36 hour trip for him to get home, leave Thursday night and get home Saturday afternoon
We’re just lucky that we can get home. Some people who are behind washouts and can’t get to the ferry. There are going to be lots more stories to tell about the impact of this storm
Take the midnight ferry going anywhere
Hello Nova Scotia I wasn’t expecting to see you this week
I keep going further away from NL in order to get closer
It is kind of crazy to think for people in Port aux Basques it’s quicker and easier for them to get to Halifax than Corner Brook.

That tells you the impact of these washouts on the Trans Canada Highway #nlwx
And I made it back to St. John’s in time for my dress rehearsal for tomorrow nights concert!

Thanks for following along on around Atlantic Canada in 80 hours

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Peter Cowan

Peter Cowan Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @PeterCBC

Oct 21, 2022
Dr Janice Fitzgerald says it’s safe to ease restrictions for people with COVID.
As of Monday if you develop symptoms, and test negative, try again in 48 hours.
Anyone with symptoms should isolate at home until you have no fever for 24 hours #covid19nfld
NL is exploring options to make rapid tests more accessible. Details on that coming #covid19nfld
There are no studies showing that one bivalent vaccine is better than the other. We don’t know how long it will give you protection. Need time to figure that out #covid19nfld
Read 10 tweets
Mar 14, 2022
For the first time in almost 2 years, NL is not in a public health emergency because of COVID. Restrictions for mask wearing and capacity limits are gone
So what does living with COVID look like from here? Here are some common questions a 🧵 #covid19nfld
cbc.ca/news/canada/ne…
This ending is now what most people were expecting. For most of the pandemic, low covid meant low restrictions, but what happened instead is that COVID is now more contagious but less severe (largely thanks to 95% of the population being vaccinated, but also Omicron)
The ending of the health emergency doesn't mean COVID is over, in fact the chances of you catching it have almost never been higher.

What's changed is that if you do get it, you're much less likely to end up in hospital or die
Read 7 tweets
Mar 13, 2022
You all love my food content so in honour of the St. John’s downtown burger battle a couple friends are trying 4 of the restaurants as takeout #dtburgerbattle2022
We all kinda have a sense of what we ordered but have also forgotten so it’s also semi blind. Here’s the first one!

It has pork belly in it which we like. We like the flavours. Has Asian flavours. It’s a little salty #burgerbattle
It’s option number 2! It’s hard to snap pics before they’re snapped up. It’s quite sweet, lots of mushrooms (I’m biased not an mushroom fan) the crispy fried unions are nice but it’s a meh
Read 6 tweets
Feb 24, 2022
It's a COVID briefing

There are 17 people in hospital in NL
287 new cases
1403 tests completed
"We are seeing an increase in COVID activity"
says Dr. Janice Fitzgerald
#covid19nfld
As of Monday formal gatherings up to 75% of capacity
Faith based also 75% (with vax pass)
Visitations limited to 75% capacity
Dance floors will be allowed, but masks must be worn
Retails stores at full capacity with no distancing
#covid19nfld
More people will be exposed to COVID-19 as we open up
*New guidance* for close contacts as of tomorrow
Household contact fully vaccinated: If someone has COVID you can still go to work or school (along as you get tested) #covid19nfld
Read 23 tweets
Feb 23, 2022
Yes we're having more deaths, because we're having A LOT more cases

March 2020-December 2022:
-2,000 cases
-18 deaths
(so 1 in 110 cases was fatal)

Dec 2022-present
- 20,000 cases
- 45 deaths
(1 in 444)
#covid19nfld
A couple things to keep in mind, the number of cases since December is actually a lot more than 20,000 (since not everyone can get a PCR test), which means the death rate is actually lower than 1 in 444
Why has COVID become less deadly? Yes the more mild nature of Omicron is one reason, but most people getting COVID now is vaccinated, which has left them better protected from hospitalization and death #covid19nfld
Read 4 tweets
Feb 16, 2022
It's a COVID-19 briefing, the premier says we're in a "solid situation"
Reiterates some of the highest vaccination rates in the country.
He says most things will return to normal by the middle of March #covid19nfld
Andrew Furey says we've trusted the science, and the team at public health for 2 years and we can trust them now
"the light at the end of the tunnel is shining brighter every day"
There are three new deaths from COVID
There are 16 hospitalizations
There are 179 new cases, 178 recoveries
Since yesterday 869 tests
#covid19nfld
Read 25 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(