Cathal Ó Gabhann Profile picture
Dec 4, 2021 23 tweets 10 min read Read on X
1. Just returned to Europe after 15 months in #Afghanistan. In the wake of the Feb 2020 Doha Agreement, this was always going to be an historic year, but you may have read that no one could have predicted the #Taliban victory.
2. If you had crossed the frontline to visit the #Taliban late 2020/early 2021, you would have been left in no doubt. Their morale was sky-high; they were already rapidly seizing territory; and their enthusiasm and conviction that they were on the verge of victory was infectious.
3. There were hints of Taliban 2.0: young, black-turbanned Talibs took selfies with me in Musa Qala; in Wardak, another in faltering English and black & white Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan baseball cap asked about my origins, and what I thought about the Taliban.
4. Above all, by January 2021, the #Taliban's unity & sense of purpose left me in little doubt that they would take Kabul by the end of the year; they even surprised themselves by taking the city - in what amounted to a bloodless coup - in August.
5. When Kabul fell, I found the international community's hasty decision to flee absurd, and the decision to evacuate almost the whole of the capital's middle class, beyond comprehension.
6. Having visited Taliban-held territory a number of times over the past year, I had seen for myself how much more secure it was than GIRoA-held territory. There was a definite sense of calm on the other side of that front line.
7. This is why I actually felt enthusiastic about a Taliban takeover: when your baseline for future progress & prosperity is security, then any group able to bring that should be welcomed.
8. Undeniably, the Taliban have brought a form of peace to Afghanistan. But it is a negative peace, exacerbated by the IEA's "in-group" mentality & struggle to maintain internal cohesion. There are already signs that both the peace & cohesion are beginning to fray.
9. The pressure from the international community is not helping. The IEA now finds its leadership squeezed by the IC to promote & reinforce women's rights, and squeezed by its grassroots fighters & supporters to promote & adhere to traditional Taliban ideology.
10. @ThreshedThought is right when he refers to a "spectrum" from the IEA to ISKP. So it's no surprise that Chora & Dehrawud districts (for years, IEA strongholds where the @AustralianArmy suffered from constant attacks - & the latter the birthplace of Mullah Omar) of Uruzgan
11. - one of the poorest & most conservative provinces in Afghanistan - have recently seen the appearance of ISKP flags & checkpoints. The IEA's grassroots see their leadership's public meetings with foreigners (& especially unfamiliar women) as a betrayal of their core values.
12. Remember that rural Pashtun culture frowns upon a man speaking to his wife (or showing affection to his children) in front of his own parents. So, Pashtun clerics publicly meeting foreign (and even unveiled) women is, for many, scandalous.
13. This is absolutely a Samuel Huntington moment, & while the West seeks to impose its values onto the Taliban through what amounts to neo-imperialism, it should at least reflect holistically upon the wisdom of doing so.
14. Conversely, sensitive to Western values, the IEA may use such issues (e.g. women's rights) as bargaining chips for concessions. Why grant women full rights (e.g. education) from day 1, when these can be held back and used on the negotiating table?
15. Beyond all this, however, is the simple fact that for many Taliban fighters there has been no "peace dividend" from their victory, and the pressure exerted by the international community is exacerbating this.
16. With banks and the healthcare system collapsing; the IEA unable to pay salaries; and most of the middle class having fled, Afghanistan is in turmoil. And make no mistake: those suffering the most are not the government, but the Afghan people.
17. Afghans are the most humble, gracious, courteous, generous, hospitable, passionate and resilient people I have ever met. They deserve so much more than this.
18. It is imperative that the international community now works with the Taliban - & there are already positive indications that this is beginning to happen. If you extend a hand to the Taliban, they will meet you half way. If you pressure them, their position will harden.
19. While there may be those who - whether out of vengeance or schadenfreude - want to see the Taliban fail, the wider picture is important: a successful IEA, as a member of the international community, means a successful - and peaceful - Afghanistan.
20. While it is not realistic to expect a significant cultural or economic shift in the short term, through positive engagement with the IEA the international community can begin - finally - to help put Afghanistan on the right track for the long term.
21. It cannot be underestimated how gloomy the outlook is for Afghanistan right now. In Kabul, carjacking is suddenly rife, and even the remnants of the middle class have begun to beg. The capital is on the brink of societal collapse.
22. This situation may even force the Taliban to reinstate their draconian Hudood punishments of the past (the lack of implementation of which, thus far, is another bone of contention of Taliban grassroots & another draw of recruits to ISKP).
23. I leave Afghanistan now, after just over 4 years in the country, spread over a decade. I very much hope to return, 1 day, to a prosperous & peaceful country, which is seen as an integral member of the international community. But the window of opportunity is closing fast.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Cathal Ó Gabhann

Cathal Ó Gabhann Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @AnOGabhannOg

Aug 20, 2023
The speech I gave at a @tudresden_de symposium on Global Complicities: "Complicity with the #Taliban: how should aid agencies respond to increasing restrictions on women's rights in #Afghanistan?" Image
with the exception of girls’ secondary schools; but the Ministry of Education promised that they would reopen with the new academic year in March 2022.
Girls’ primary schools remained open, though – and women were still free to attend university.
Read 100 tweets
Jul 25, 2023
I see several different analytical narratives surrounding the #Taliban drugs ban. So what is The Truth? 🧵 1/8

#Afghanistan Image
This July '23 presentation, by the head of UNSC 1988 Sanctions Monitoring team, argues that the ban on opium is simply due to the Taliban switching to methamphetamine instead; essentially, the ban is a con & the intl cmty should not be duped:
2/8
Then there's this, from Sept '22, arguing that the ban has been a complete failure:
3/8voanews.com/a/taliban-make…
Read 9 tweets
Jun 29, 2023
Time for a thread presenting the other side of the story. Here goes...

#Taliban is a native, homegrown, movement in #Afghanistan, with roots & traditions stretching back to at least the 16th Century. 1/
The political idea that a group of mullahs should control government began to gain traction amongst Pashtun clerics on British India's North West Frontier in the late-19th Century. The Sufi silsila of the Akhund of Swat was at the forefront of this. 2/
Akhund of Swat, Abdul Ghaffar, had provided support & religious justification for Afghan King Dost Muhammad's campaign against the Sikhs in 1834. He went on to lead Mujahideen against the British during the Ambela Campaign of 1862. In 1893, the British drew the Durand Line. 3/
Read 20 tweets
Oct 21, 2022
This thread will be part #Afghanistan tourism advice, part impressions from 2 weeks as a tourist in Afghanistan. Either way, I hope it will be interesting. Here goes...1/20
As a foreigner, you need an official permission letter from the Ministry of Culture & Info, detailing who you are & which provinces you wish to travel through. You need to get this as soon as possible after you arrive in Kabul. 2/
If you travel anywhere without this letter, you could be detained if challenged by security forces. You need to have an Afghan national listed as a "guide". This is basically someone whom the IEA can hold accountable if you don't behave... 3/
Read 20 tweets
May 10, 2022
The way I see it is this: the Taliban won the war, and now have the monopoly on power (some minor challenges in Panjshir aren't going to change that). This is the first time in decades that Afghanistan faces such a situation. The Taliban *are* the Taliban... 1/
and in no way should one expect them significantly to change their views. Block on girls' secondary schooling & imposition of facial covering should not come as a surprise to anyone. 2/
If anything, it's surprising they didn't impose facial covering immediately. Does anyone wonder why they didn't? Does anyone wonder why they are now not specifically imposing chadari (burqa), as they did during Taliban 1.0? 3/
Read 18 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(