burn the bridge Profile picture
Feb 2, 2022 17 tweets 11 min read Read on X
1/17 Build your own #Bitcoin home mining enclosure for under $150, with a 20dB attenuation.

A thread based on a DIY indoor version of @SGBarbour's #BlackBox
2/17 This thread is the short version of the full @upstreamdatainc DIY guide which can be found in this GitHub repo. Feel free to get in there, make pull requests for different materials you have tried, or to get different design variations included, etc.

github.com/econoalchemist…
3/17 The intent of the #BlackBox is to allow the user to run their mining ASIC hardware outdoors where the heat and noise could more easily be controlled or dissipated. Excessive heat & noise are common problems users experience when mining #bitcoin in the home or working space.
4/17 For those with a DIY attitude, you may be looking for some guidance on building your own low-cost, indoor version of the #BlackBox. With less than $150 at Home Depot, I bought a sheet of OSB, asphalt board, 3 sheets of Dense Shield title backer, & some misc. peripherals.
5/17 Some good tools to have are: a chop saw, skill saw, table saw, oscillating saw, air compressor, impact drill, tape measure, level, caulking gun, grinder, & clamps. Took me about 12 hours & I did the work in my dirt driveway. Nothing fancy required. media.econoalchemist.com/w/7Uvm1zEmMYTf…
6/17 First, cut out all the pieces to their rough sizes like this.
7/17 Then put the frame together and add one side (A) piece and two end (D) pieces plus the bottom (B) piece. Each piece has 3 layers (OSB, asphalt board, Dense Shield) they are glued together with Liquid Nails with a few screws in place for good measure.
8/17 Add the wings on the sides and layer them the same way. I used foil tape to help keep the corners clean and to prevent splintering/deterioration.
9/17 Then the "T" center piece can be built. You can even add a vent register so that warm air can be circulated back to the cool intake side if it gets too cold or too humid.
10/17 Then finish the remaining open side and the top. Most of the pieces need to be cut down from the rough original sizes in order for a proper fit. The top was made to seat flush on the enclosure's upper edge, with the layers of asphalt board and Dense Shield recessed.
11/17 Anminer S19 & Whatsminer M30s miners can fit in here, one at a time. They need to be oriented on their side. Make sure to create a pressure barrier and fill the empty space around the miner. This separates the hot/cold sides. I just used some old towels for now.
12/17 In open air, an S19j Pro 110Th ASIC will run at about 78 dB with a roughly 5,000 RPM fan speed.

But in the enclosure, that noise is reduced by ~20dB!
13/17 Here is a video of the sound test:

media.econoalchemist.com/w/qVaURoxZEhSU…
14/17 After an hour in the enclosure, hash rate was still at spec, temps were stable at ~67° C, and fan speeds were steady around 5,000 RPM. Going on 2 days now and all the vitals are still looking good.
15/17 I was in disbelief at how well the design worked. -20dB is perceived as 1/4 as loud. A tortuous air path is brilliant. It doesn't cost a lot to build one yourself if you have the time, skills, & tools.

Major props to @SGBarbour for bringing this forward for home miners👊
17/17 One last thing: Be mindful of fire risks and be thinking about what hazards you introduce into your home with this kind of project. Always consult a licensed electrician before plugging in mining equipment.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with burn the bridge

burn the bridge Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @econoalchemist

Dec 28, 2022
1/12 Secure your #Bitcoin backups in stainless steel to protect against environmental hazards like fire & flood.

The Kiboruto from @Crazyk_031 & @stackbitme is a letter stamp style backup tailor made for @SamouraiWallet. Full guide on @BitcoinMagazine

bitcoinmagazine.com/guides/guide-f…
2/12 There are 3 key pieces of info you need for your backup. #1 is seed words. They always need to be in order and in the case of @SamouraiWallet, you get 12 of them. Kiboruto features etched numbered boxes to keep these words in order. Never share them with anyone!
3/12 Key piece of info #2 is your passphrase. The wallet requires one but doesn't generate it for you nor does it know if your passphrase is correct upon recovery. Every passphrase generates a valid wallet. Kiboruto has a dedicated passphrase plate so you can store it separately.
Read 12 tweets
Nov 2, 2022
1/16 Secure a #Bitcoin seed phrase with corrosion & fire resistant titanium; a thread on the @hodlrswiss One Titanium seed backup.

Full guide published with @BitcoinMagazine

bitcoinmagazine.com/guides/using-a…
2/16 Self-custody means you have the radical responsibility of securing your #Bitcoin backup. Geographically distributed water & fire proof backups are a good starting point. The @hodlrswiss One Titanium backup makes that pretty easy.

hodlr.swiss/products/one-t…
3/16 The One Titanium supports both BIP39 (github.com/bitcoin/bips/b…) & SLIP39 (slip39.com). This product involves converting standardized seed words into a corresponding numbered index. Exercise caution when making such conversions.
Read 16 tweets
Aug 10, 2022
15/19 Side note, while waiting for that transaction, if you're interested in building your own #Bitcoin full node on a @Raspberry_Pi, here is how I built mine:

econoalchemist.com/post/build-you…
16/19 Once received in the Bitcoin Core wallet, send some #BTC to @COLDCARDwallet. You can export a list of receiving addresses to a .txt file & transfer via microSD to the Raspi node then copy/paste. Bech32 addresses seem to work best for PSBT, FYI. Verify address on the CC. ImageImageImageImage
17/19 In conclusion, showed how to set up @COLDCARDwallet, generate WIF for mobile @bluewalletio & Bitcoin Core, & moved some #BTC to all 3 wallets. I hope you found some useful information here.
Read 5 tweets
Jul 25, 2022
1/24 Preserve the anonymity gained in Whirlpool by making every spend a CoinJoin.

My latest article with @BitcoinMagazine covers how to use the spending tools found in @SamouraiWallet & @SparrowWallet step-by-step.

bitcoinmagazine.com/guides/how-to-…
2/24 Whirlpool is a zero-link CoinJoin implementation that can be found in both @SamouraiWallet for mobile Android users as well as @SparrowWallet for desktop users. For the best privacy practices don't trust someone else's node, run your own @RoninDojoNode
3/24 Whirlpool breaks deterministic links that exist on the Bitcoin blockchain. These links are often exploited by law enforcement working with exchanges & chain analysis companies to invade your privacy & track your transactions. Even people you transact with might snoop around.
Read 25 tweets
May 16, 2022
1/18 Bear market mining, what can home miners do to survive? In this first part of a series on survival tips, I suggest setting expectations based on BTC price & hashrate so miners can be better prepared to make good decisions in stressful situations.

2/18 Miners face a lot of variables, the volatility of BTC price and hashrate specifically though can quickly change a miner's outlook. Setting some operating bands can help you remain calm and avoid making costly mistakes.
3/18 Setting these operating bands involves 3 steps:

1) Where do you stand today?
2) How high can hashrate go if the price stays flat?
3) How low can the price go if hashrate stays flat?

To help find these thresholds, this is a great tool:

insights.braiins.com/en/cost-to-min…
Read 18 tweets
Apr 29, 2022
1/32 Whirlpool your #bitcoin from desktop with @SparrowWallet and mix straight to cold storage with @COLDCARDwallet or @FOUNDATIONdvcs

A great solution for iPhone users who don't have @SamouraiWallet or a @RoninDojoNode

Full article @BitcoinMagazine:
bitcoinmagazine.com/technical/how-…
2/32 All #Bitcoin transactions are public & anyone can see them with a block explorer. Whirlpool breaks deterministic links and diminishes on-chain heuristics to weak subjective interpretations. Gain forward looking anonymity & transact without the privacy invasion.
3/32 Navigate to bitcoincore.org/en/download/ and follow the instructions to download the latest version of Bitcoin Core to your PC. It takes a few days to sync the whole blockchain and it takes up a lot of space, have at least 500GB of disk space available.
Read 32 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(