Clinically Vulnerable Families ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’— Profile picture
Feb 21, 2022 โ€ข 32 tweets โ€ข 13 min read โ€ข Read on X
๐Ÿ“ฃ What today's announcement means to us? ๐Ÿงต

This account gives an anonymous voice to Clinically Vulnerable people in our support group on Facebook.

Threats now to:
Lives, jobs, freedoms + safe access to schooling & healthcare.

Join us for support ๐Ÿ‘‡
facebook.com/groups/6185063โ€ฆ
1/
This thread aims to share our members thoughts, each struggling with the broad and significant impacts of the announcement to be made today by Boris Johnson in the HoC.

2/ Freedom for some is being granted at the expense of freedom
"End of any freedom with covid has now been stolen for the vulnerable."

"The mental health of my children going to school will now spiral downwards uncontrollably."

3/ Our death sentence from Covid has now been set.
What will happen to our children?

"End of any freedom for our teenagers to live 'normal' lives."

"My child will be sat in class wondering if her peers will infect her, when she's at highest risk of death from Covid."

4/ My immunosuppressed son has at least been able to meet a few
"It is disgusting when Iโ€™m told to check my child for nits, yet being CEV myself with a CV child in Primary Iโ€™m not told of covid cases but the Govt thinks its ok to spread covid to kids repeatedly [.].Why is covid not mentioned on this school infectious disease control list?"
5/
Many have been forced out of unsafe schools already. @halfon4harlowMP 's so called "Ghost Children" offensive terminology given some may die.

"This means we may likely deregister children from school to protect a CEV family member. Schools arenโ€™t safe. This is unfair."

6/
Don't forget the teachers!
Told not to wear masks. Surrounded by infected children.

"As a teacher with blood cancer I will risk my life every time I step in the classroom."

"As a dedicated Headteacher of a primary school I feel let down and marginalised."

7/
"My life now depends on other people doing the right thing- so terrifying. CEV teacher, Mum and wife."

It is not much to ask
#Testing
#MasksInSchool๐Ÿ˜ท
#HEPA๐Ÿ’จ
(which will pay for itself by reducing sick days)

8/
Forcing people to return to work F2F is meaning people who can contribute to society are choosing between 'lives & livelihoods'.

"My hubby will be forced back to the office, while I will probably have to isolate in a room to keep myself safe this is not freedom for all."

9/ Pre covid I was a valuable, working member of society living
"I have incurable cancer, kept stable by immunosuppressant drugs; I am well enough to work and play an active role in society but how can I once all the measures that help me protect myself against covid are gone?"

10/ Iโ€™ve already had to give my job up as a Teaching Assistant
"I didnt feel safe so resigned from Education. Now have to count the pennies to keep us afloat."

"It feels like all hope of rejoining society is gone now (age 47, immunosuppressed mum, worked and lived a typical, active life pre COVID)."

11/ "This forces me to choose between maintaining life and
Safe access to *not just schools* but anything including vital healthcare will be essentially denied.

"It will be totally impossible to safely receive: eye tests, dental treatment, medical care, vaccines & essential home repairs after โ€˜Freedom Dayโ€™."

12/ It means being isolated from life. It means only attending t
"Iโ€™m left weighing up whether itโ€™s more dangerous to miss my medical appointments and blood tests for my chronic condition, or to attend them?"

"No chance of a near normal life for me now, stay at home indefinitely just to stay alive."

13/
"This terrible decision makes everyone's life more dangerous. It will make my life and other CEV peoples lives smaller, more stressful and for some, unnecessarily, much shorter."

14/ Freedom for some is being granted at the expense of freedom
"Well I'd better plan my own funeral as I will no longer be safe anywhere; CEV is not a choice."

"Sickness absence management policies will mean people with covid DO go to work and WILL pass it on to others, it is much more than a respiratory disease"

15/ "living with COVID" should mean maintaining mitiga
Facing a constant and unending threat to life impacts on mental health for children and adults in affected households. People are dealing with the breakdown of relationships, self harm & suicidal thoughts.

"Samaritans on speed dial."

16/
We need 'reasonable adjustments' or mentally how do we square this circle?1

"As a immunosuppressed parent Iโ€™m now facing the choice of curtailing my young daughterโ€™s life indefinitely or continuously risking my own. These are avoidable choices noone should have to make."

17/
People don't know where to turn.

18/
If we go anywhere we must wear masks. This is about 'Social Responsibility' NOT 'Personal Responsibility'.
"I'm wearing my mask to protect *you*."
#WearAMask๐Ÿ˜ท

19/
"Whereโ€™s the evidence to support this, is it so difficult to wear a mask in crowded indoor places, on public transport and stay at home if you have Covid?"

20/ Look at what theyโ€™re doing to people with this flagrant la
"Maintaining simple measures against Covid 19 wonโ€™t impact the majority but could literally mean the difference between life and death to millions of CEV people. Why donโ€™t we matter enough? Protect the most vulnerable in society!"

21/
"What do the scientists say? I thought we were 'Following the Science'?"

"This terrible decision makes everyone's life more dangerous. It will make my life[.] shorter [and] more stressful [.]."

"This will make our family feel even more like collateral damage."

22/ Why does wearing masks stop us opening up the economy, savin
Transplant patients carry a precious gift.

"This approach makes a mockery of Max and Keira's organ donation law that we fought so hard for. The second chance of life gifted to transplant recipients will be placed in jeopardy.

Callous, careless & cavalier!"

23/
Antivirals ๐Ÿ’Š should be offered to ALL Clinically Vulnerable & elderly patients but only 50% can access these via the Panoramic Trial.

We see this as 'health rationing' since they are already proven.

Immunosuppressed who do qualify struggle to access.
24/
I'm clinically vulnerable at risk of death, why can't I have 100% assurance that I can get life saving antivirals if you insist on putting my life at risk by removing protective measures?"

25/

Everyone knows and loves โค๏ธ an elderly or Clinically Vulnerable person. Vulnerabilities can strike at any time & Covid is causing them.

"You could be diagnosed with cancer tomorrow & require chemo. Youโ€™d be told to avoid infections. Would these rules sit ok with you then?"

26/
Covid is a novel virus. We are still learning so much about it.

We don't want more Clinically Vulnerable people.

We don't want more @LongCovidKids or @LongCovidSOS adults.

Multiple infections are a growing concern.

27/

We need a plan.

To plan for nothing is a nothing of a plan.

So we must with engage with our world class scientists. We are 2 years into the pandemic (yes, it is a pandemic still - ask the @WHO) need a sustainable long term response.

28/

Instead @BorisJohnson frames protections preventing infection & long term damage as "restrictions".
"Restrictions pose a heavy toll on our economy our society, our mental wellbeing & on the life chances of our children."

The Vulnerable have lost the most of all of the above.
29/
Bereaved Families @CovidJusticeUK have and lost loved ones. We fear that their group will continue to grow at a faster rate.

This simply isn't "Learning to Live with Covid" it is shortsighted and will undermine authority in any future effort to respond to new variants.

30/
So we ask for compassion, understanding and the support from the people of Britain.

Please stand with us against removing *protections* which have allowed vulnerable people a small taste of freedom these past months.

It is not acceptable to lock us up indefinitely.

END/

โ€ข โ€ข โ€ข

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh
ใ€€

Keep Current with Clinically Vulnerable Families ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’—

Clinically Vulnerable Families ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’— Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @cv_cev

May 5
๐Ÿ˜ท Safer voter ID checks, Hampshire trial

โžก๏ธ Equality Impact Assessments (and the Equality Act) must be *urgently updated* to consider Clinically Vulnerable people, and others who mask, ๐—ฏ๐—ฒ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ the General Election.

๐Ÿšจ PLEASE ๐Ÿšจ Repost this to MPs ๐Ÿšจ

1/ #MyMaskMyVote
It was simple, easy, and a great start.

Many thanks to @EastleighBC ๐Ÿ‘

STEP 1 (SHORT TERM)
โœ…๏ธ Staff training
โœ…๏ธ Outside ID check
โœ…๏ธ CO2 monitor (at one polling station)
โœ…๏ธ Main door open

2/ #MyMaskMyVote Clinically Vulnerable Families  Reasonable Adjustments / Airborne Mitigations required for Clinically Vulnerable people  SHORT TERM (for May '24)  Support masked voters - sensitivity training for staff  Perform ID checks outside as standard for mask wearers  ID checking staff:  Test negative, wear FFP2 min mask and distance  Improve natural ventilation inside the building: open doors and windows for duration of use of the building  Monitor CO2 as a proxy for rebreathed air  <700ppm = suitable  >800ppm = limitยน  NB/ Ventilation expert advice required on positioning. High quality NDIR COโ‚‚ mon...
But not everything happened...

โŒ๏ธ Staff not masked for ID check
โŒ๏ธ Windows were all closed
โŒ๏ธ Doors weren't all open

3/ #MyMaskMyVote Image of outdoor ID check.  POLLING STATION sign.  Windows all closed. Door closed.
Read 8 tweets
Apr 11
๐—˜๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—ข๐˜‚๐˜ ๐—ง๐—ผ ๐—›๐—ฒ๐—น๐—ฝ ๐—ข๐˜‚๐˜

When did focus groups replace the need for appropriate Equality Impact Assessments?

#EOTHO was discriminatory at best (vulnerable people didn't benefit).

1/๐Ÿงต
theguardian.com/business/2024/โ€ฆ
"The documents reveal that polling for the Treasury in June 2020 found that only 13% agreed the government should create incentives for people to spend on eating out[.]."

Even the public did not agree!

2/
As Clinical vulnerability is not an equality group, we were ignored.

3/ Assessing the impact  Before the scheme started, we assessed the equality impacts on all the protected characteristic groups in line with the Equality Act and Public Sector Equality Duty and section 75 of the Northern Ireland Act:  โ€ข racial groups  โ€ข sex  โ€ข gender reassignment  โ€ข sexual orientation  โ€ข pregnancy and maternity  โ€ข marriage and civil partnership  โ€ข people with dependents and those without  โ€ข political opinion (for Northern Ireland only)  There is no evidence to suggest any specific impacts on those customers within any of the protected characteristic groups (listed above).
Read 12 tweets
Apr 11
At the #CovidInquiry yesterday.

Our barrister @MaryRachel_McC reiterated @AdamWagner1's previous submission that Clinically Vulnerable people need to be considered as a separate equality group.

@Kim_LHarrison @ShaneSmith_Law
@SlaterGordonUK @DoughtyStPublic
1/๐Ÿงต
The new needs of Clinically Vulnerable people, since the emergence of Covid, were not considered as public health measures were withdrawn.

Clinically Vulnerable people, to this day, are struggling to safely access:

๐Ÿ’™ Healthcare
๐Ÿ’œ Workplaces
๐Ÿ’— Schools and beyond...
2/
98%  of Clinically Vulnerable people feel that healthcare is unsafe  [Poll of 534 Clinically Vulnerable people March 2024]  Clinically Vulnerable Families
82%  of Clinically Vulnerable households have lost work or retired early due to high Covid risks.  [Poll of 364 Clinically Vulnerable people March 2024]  Clinically Vulnerable Families
Clinically Vulnerable people face unique challenges due to high Covid risks combined with their health conditions. We urgently need the inquiry to recognise them by specifically identifying the needs of CV people within their Equalities & Human Rights statement.

3/
Read 9 tweets
Apr 6
Yesterday was a very bad news day for UK people with poor immune protection against Covid.

The SUPERNOVA trial for the updated version of Evusheld is delayed, and so NICE is now not set to report until the end of February 2025.

1/๐Ÿงต nice.org.uk/guidance/indevโ€ฆ
People in this group include: transplant patients, whose immune systems must be heavily suppressed to prevent them destroying their new organs; or people with blood cancers.

Below are some further examples of high risk groups:

2/ Image of graph showing risks for certain conditions. List ordered from highest risk to lower (also high risk).  Solid organ transplant Renal transplant Bone marrow transplant Immunosuppressants Rare neuro disease Sickle cell disease CKD stage 5 Blood or bone marrow cancer Cirrhosis of the liver
Evusheld is a prophylactic drug which provides similar protection against Covid for those who don't respond effectively to vaccines.

Other countries used emergency authorisation powers, as the UK did with Covid vaccines. But the UK simply left our most vulnerable to exposed.

3/ Image of Evusheld
Read 9 tweets
Mar 30
๐Ÿšจ Mask wearing became heavily politicised even before it was common practice in 2020.

Now, we are finding that even high-risk people face discrimination despite relying on masks as an essential measure to protect health.

1/๐Ÿงต #MaskDiscrimination
โฌ‡๏ธโฌ‡๏ธโฌ‡๏ธ
clinicallyvulnerable.org/post/interviewโ€ฆ
โฌ†๏ธ In our first anonymous blog, a CVF member shares the challenges they encountered whilst job-seeking as a mask wearer.

Not all CV people are covered by disability laws, which enable 'reasonable adjustments' and even those who do qualify still struggle.

2/ #MaskDiscrimination Masked interviewee in an office setting. Four interviewers sit, unmasked, wearing disparaging faces.
CVF data shows that #MaskAbuse is on the rise in the UK.

Our recent survey found that 65% of mask wearers have experienced it on some level.

Society has not yet adapted to consider mask wearing as an inclusion issue.

3/ #MaskDiscrimination 65% of UK mask wearers have been challenged / abused / discriminated against for wearing a mask.  [Poll of ~900 UK mask wearers, Jan 2024]  Clinically Vulnerable Families logo
Read 6 tweets
Mar 23
๐ŸงตThis article flags some important issues faced by people with learning disabilities (LD), their experiences regarding Do Not Resuscitate orders.

๐Ÿšจ However, for Clinically Vulnerable (CV) people (including those with LDs), several aspects of the article are highly problematic: Thousands of disabled people died after 'Covid treatment withheld', inquiry to probe  EXCLUSIVE  Mencap says Do Not Resuscitate notices were placed on the medical files of many people with Down's syndrome, autism and other learning disabilities who were otherwise healthy before contracting the virus
By primarily discussing the impact on people with LDs, especially those who were not Clinically Vulnerable *which is important*, it inadvertently marginalises the experiences of Clinically Vulnerable people (most who don't have LDs but all are CV).

2/

inews.co.uk/news/politics/โ€ฆ
Our group, the Clinically Vulnerable, also faced significant challenges during the height of the pandemic. We had AND HAVE higher risks of severe illness from Covid. As the focus of the article is so narrowly defined, our needs have been ignored at best.

3/ Two bar graphs comparing Death and Long Covid risks between Clinically Vulnerable people and healthy people.  Clinically Vulnerable have a much higher risk of death and Long Covid despite vaccination  % of Covid-19 mortalities [ONS 1st Quarter 2023]  Death 9.2x for CV compared to healthy  %with Long Covid [ONS 4wk period ending 24 Mar 2023]  Long Covid 5.4% increased risk compared to healthy  Clinically Vulnerable Families logo
Read 11 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(