Hillel Neuer Profile picture
Jul 14, 2022 25 tweets 6 min read Read on X
BREAKING: The Palestinian Authority tortures human rights activists, women, LGBT persons, political opponents, so-called “collaborators,” and Palestinians who sell land to Jews, UN Watch charged today, ahead of the UN's first-ever review of the PA record.
unwatch.org/rights-group-e…
2/ The Geneva-based human rights organization made its criticism in a report to the UN Committee Against Torture, which meets on July 19-20 to consider Palestinian compliance with the UN convention against torture and other cruel forms of punishment.
📒unwatch.org/wp-content/upl…
3/ Evidence continues to emerge of widespread torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment of detainees held in Palestinian custody in the West Bank and Gaza.
4/ UN Watch representatives will present the report to the 10-member committee in a private briefing with human rights groups on July 18, the day before UN experts are set to grill a delegation from the Palestinian Authority for the first time since it signed the treaty in 2014.
5/ While the PA is expected to tout how it has fulfilled its promises, the PA’s response (undocs.org/CAT/C/PSE/1) — submitted to the committee four years late — tries to absolve Palestinian actors of responsibility for complying with the treaty’s prohibitions against torture.
6/ Instead, the PA report repeatedly points the finger at Israel in an attempt to deflect attention from the PA’s own record, which is the actual subject of the UN review.
7/ The PA report has no data on the pervasiveness of torture under the PA & Hamas or on any practical measures implemented to prevent torture by their forces during interrogation, individual cases of torture, justice for victims, or actions to address underlying causes of abuses.
8/ #LGBTQ: According to UN Watch’s report, LGBTQ persons living under the Palestinian Authority and Hamas control suffer “severe persecution and ostracism.”
9/ Gay Palestinians who managed to escape recount harrowing torture by PA and Hamas forces, including often successful attempts to coerce them to inform on others, forced marriages, and death threats.
10/ “They arrested me, hanged me from the ceiling, beat me up and interrogated me for five days,” said a gay Gazan Palestinian now living in exile in Turkey.
11/ “Everyone is afraid of everyone. Some have been punished, some have been killed. Others killed themselves,” said another gay man from Gaza.
12/ #Activists: Routine Palestinian Authority torture includes beatings, solitary confinement, feet whipping, threats and taunts, and forcing detainees into various painful positions for extended periods.
13/ In May 2021, PA security forces arrested dozens of activists and students considered critical of the PA. Taken to an infamous Jericho prison known as the “slaughterhouse,” they were accused of “stirring up sectarian and racial strife” and subjected to torture.
14/ The June 24, 2021 death in PA custody of Nizar Banat, a prominent critic of President Mahmoud Abbas, sparked a wave of protests in the West Bank. The PA police responded by arresting and beating the protesters, along with journalists, civil society activists and lawyers.
15/ “Never in my life have I seen such brutality. The sounds of people screaming inside the police station, to this day I still hear it,” said Palestinian radio journalist Akil Awadah, who was beaten and detained on July 5, 2021 with several other protesters.
16/ Hamas in Gaza also routinely employs torture. Gaza peace activist Rami Aman, who was held by Hamas for more than six months in 2020, spoke publicly about being tortured by Hamas.
17/ In March 2019, Hamas security forces severely beat protesters with batons and clubs and arrested more than 1,000, including journalists and human rights defenders. Many were subjected to torture.
18/ Palestinians accused of “collaborating” with Israel are routinely tortured by both the PA and Hamas.

Torture included beatings, putting out cigarettes on their bodies, pulling out teeth, forcing them into painful positions and abusing their genitals.
19/ In June 2018, an Israeli court ordered the PA to pay $3.5 million in compensation to 51 victims and family members of Palestinians who were arrested and tortured by the PA between 1990 and 2003 for assisting Israeli security forces to prevent terror attacks.
20/ Yet the practice continues. In March 2022, Palestinian-American Suha Jbara testified that PA agents tortured her in late 2018 for “collaboration” with Israel. i24news.tv/en/news/middle…
21/ “The interrogator also threatened me with rape and started beating me. He said he knows how to beat me without leaving signs on my body. The interrogation and beating lasted all night,” she said. Hamas in Gaza is also known for torturing & executing suspected “collaborators.”
22/ #Antisemitism: Palestinians who sell land to Jews are routinely tortured and killed. In December 2018, American-Palestinian Isaam Akel was sentenced to life in prison with hard labor for violating the Palestinian law prohibiting land sales to Israelis.
23/ Both Akel’s wife and a U.S. official who visited Akel in prison confirmed that he had been put in isolation and tortured.

Akel’s case is one example of how the PA has failed to live up to its obligations to comply with the torture treaty, as documented by UN Watch’s report.
24/ We trust that our submission of evidence and harrowing testimonies will assist the UN committee experts next week when they review whether Mahmoud Abbas's Palestinian Authority has followed through on its promises to eradicate the use of torture.
25/ We call on the Palestinian representative to the UN in Geneva @ibrahimkhraishi and the entire @Palestine_UN delegation coming from Ramallah to be open about the PA’s routine use of torture at next week's review.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Hillel Neuer

Hillel Neuer Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @HillelNeuer

May 17
BREAKING: For first time, UNRWA's former general counsel James Lindsay testifying before Congress, now exposing the agency's failure to vet staff for terrorist ties. I'm sitting right next to him—it's a damning indictment from the inside like never before.

UNRWA's former general counsel James Lindsay: “It would not be surprising to learn that as many as half of UNRWA’s employees were Hamas supporters—of whom some likely would be Hamas members—which is not that different from what the Israeli government alleged.” /2
UNRWA's former general counsel: “It is simply not true that UNRWA is ‘irreplaceable.’ /3
Read 6 tweets
May 12
BREAKING: UN halves estimate of women and children killed in Gaza. As quoted in the article, let me explain how the UN's method for casualty counting in Gaza is the complete opposite of how they act in other conflict situations such as Ukraine. 🧵
nationalpost.com/news/world/isr…
“The UN significantly adjusted Gaza casualty figures, halving the number of women and children previously reported killed. While more than 9,500 women & 14,500 children fatalities were reported by @UNOCHA on May 6, the number was two days later revised significantly downward.” /2
@Mike_Wagenheim @JNS_org: The Director of UNICEF Catherine Russell indicated in mid-March, she was citing Hamas health ministry numbers, 13,000 children had died in Gaza. The UN released totals yesterday showing that less than 8,000 children have died in Gaza as a result of the war, citing the same Hamas health ministry. Can you clarify the process for how those numbers were revised?

@UN_Spokesperson Farhan Haq:  “Yeah, the revisions are taken… you know, as we, of course, in the fog of war, it’s difficult to come up with numbers.  We get numbers from different sources on the ground, and then we try to crosscheck them.  As we crosscheck them, we update the numbers, and we’ll continue to do that as that progresses.

Q:  I mean, it’s almost half. It’s pretty significant.

UN: “Numbers get adjusted many times over the course of a conflict. Once a conflict is done, we’ll have the most accurate figures. But we’re just going with what we can absolutely confirm, which will always be the low end of what the numbers are.”

Q:  So can people consider those numbers reliable having been so off in this occasion?

UN:  “Well, you can consider them reliable from the fact that we’re continually checking them. We’ll continue to do that over the course of the war. But the numbers, you know, ultimately have to be regularly checked so that we can be sure that what we’re putting out is valid.” /3
Read 13 tweets
Apr 30
Meet Haythem “Ethan” Abid. He runs the International Red Cross in Montreal. His job is to be neutral. But Abid marches in “Free Palestine” rallies, posts Hamas videos saying hostages love their captors and accuses Israel of “terrorism” & “genocide.” He says: “Fuck neutral shit.”
2/ Here's the Hamas propaganda video posted by the Red Cross Head of Office:

We ask you, @ICRCPresident Mirjana Spoljaric: When will you fire him? Why were all your ICRC colleagues who saw this silent? Why is 🇺🇸@RedCross giving you $670 million per year? instagram.com/p/CzLWc4HMrcF/
@ICRCPresident @RedCross 3/ For more on Haythem “Ethan” Abid, see the full story by UN Watch here: unwatch.org/icrc-head-of-o…
Read 4 tweets
Apr 23
The Swiss Parliament, before they decide whether or not to reinstate funding for UNRWA, has invited me to address their special hearing next week. I will testify as to the warnings we sent over a decade to UNRWA about its staff promotion of terrorism. They ignored every one. 🧵
2/ In September 2015 we warned UNRWA about 12 employees promoting terrorism & antisemitism, including UNRWA teacher Ramy Alshorbasy who promoted a blood libel, and staffer Wael Sallouh who cheered the June 2014 kidnapping and murder of three Israeli teens. unwatch.org/images-of-unrw…
3/ In October 2015, we warned UNRWA about 12 perpetrators including their teacher Hiba Miari who promoted Palestinian stabbing attacks against Israeli Jews & employee Hani Al Ramahi who showed the image of bloody knife with the caption “Stab Zionist dogs.”
unwatch.org/report-un-offi…
Read 16 tweets
Apr 16
On Saturday, the Independent Review into UNRWA's terror ties will release its report. Donors will then decide if to reinstate funding. Just one problem: the entire investigation is rigged. Let's do a deep dive into who the UN picked, and how they admit it's to “provide cover”: 🧵
2/ Let's start with the inquiry chair. UNRWA chief Lazzarini promised to name an “independent entity.” In the end, he chose recently retired French foreign minister Catherine Colonna—just weeks after Lazzarini had showered praise on her, and she on UNRWA.unwatch.org/unrwa-chief-to…Image
@MinColonna @UNLazzarini 3/ Note: when on January 13th Catherine Colonna pledged to UNRWA chief Lazzarini “full support for your work,” which she hailed as “more useful than ever,” this was already 3 days after the world learned that 3,000 UNRWA teachers belonged to a group praising the Hamas massacre. Image
Read 15 tweets
Apr 7
🇸🇦 Saudi Arabia, which tortures women’s rights activists, was unanimously elected chair of the U.N. Women Rights Commission.

They will preside over the March 2025 annual session attended by thousands.

We are now calling on all women's rights activists to announce they won't go.
2/ Despite some reforms, Saudi Arabia still has a horrific record on women's rights. On 16 November 2022, they arrested fitness instructor Manahel al-Otaibi for tweets supporting women’s rights and posting photos of herself without a black robe. She disappeared in November 2023. Image
3/ Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman touts his 2022 Personal Status Law as a major “leap” toward “women’s empowerment.” In fact, it codifies Saudi discrimination against women in almost every aspect of family life, retaining many harmful features of the male guardianship system. Image
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(