I’ve been to Lago di Garda in northern #Italyβ€”spectacular! (olive trees and lemons on a blue lake with the Dolomites looming).
Seeing the bicycle route they've built since makes me want to go back.
🧡 global bike path #bucketlist
Submarine cycling.
In Limburg, #Belgium, the Bokrijk bike path takes you below the surface of a lake in a national park...from a distance, it looks like bike riders’ heads are plowing through the water at speed.
Another Belgian stunner.

Fietsen door de Bomen, "Cycling through the trees," a corkscrewing bike path that takes you up to the treetops in a park in Limburg, #Belgium
A favourite in my own backyard! The 200 km P'tit Train du Nord in #Quebec's Laurentians. Here's 23 seconds of Zen from the last time I did it...
Come to think of it, we're due for another ride on the P'tit Train du Nord. Autumn leaves will soon be out!
Here's a feature I wrote for @WSJ Travel about riding it with my son...
wsj.com/articles/bike-…
I'd definitely bring my #frostbike (my winter bike with studded tires) for this one.

Oulu, #Finland, where traffic signs are projected directly onto snowy surface of bike paths.
(Too bad all the travel editors of the world seem to have gone AWOL lately. A few years ago, these would have been the foundation for a great feature...)

β€’ β€’ β€’

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh
γ€€

Keep Current with πšƒπšŠπš›πšŠπšœ π™Άπš›πšŽπšœπšŒπš˜πšŽ πŸš‡

πšƒπšŠπš›πšŠπšœ π™Άπš›πšŽπšœπšŒπš˜πšŽ πŸš‡ Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @grescoe

May 16
I’ve been in #Dublin for a few days. Yesterday I posted about how the re-design of their bus system has led to a 20% increase in ridership in 2023. Part of that is the new high-frequency β€œspines”… ☘️🚍🧡
Though the high-frequency network, designed by @humantransit and his team, is being rolled out in phases. A more immediate factor is the fare system… Image
@humantransit …with a Leap card, fares cost about €2, which gives you 90 minutes of travel on buses, trams, DART commuter rail within the Short Hop zone which covers most of central Dublin.
Read 5 tweets
Apr 13
Hey, I finally scored!

First time on a new Siemens Venture train, leaving from #Quebec City, destination #Ottawa.

First impression… πŸš…πŸ§΅
…it’s astonishingly spacious inside. But feels a bit more like a plane than a good ol’ @VIA_Rail train. (Mostly b/c of the jetliner-style seats).
Second impression: how can I be on a European-style train Γ  grande vitesse while I’m still in Canada? (I mean, a couple of days in #QuΓ©bec is disorienting enough. It always feels like waking up in St-Malo.)
Read 12 tweets
Oct 5, 2022
The #Istanbul Metro has outsourced its fare collection, and the new ticket inspectors are very strict.
#Istanbul tried to use canine inspectors for a while, but they kept on getting distracted. Especially by the view of the Blue Mosque from the city ferries.

Cats stay focused.
Love of cats runs deep among Istanbullus.

There are cat-feeding stations in the metro, and cat hotels all over the city. (For real, photos from my last visit.) ImageImageImage
Read 7 tweets
Oct 3, 2022
It's weird to live in a world where @elonmusk, that swaggering, maleficient nebbish, is perceived as a force for good.

I tell my boys that it's like Gotham City: some "civic leaders" are actually Super-Villains in disguise.

After the banquet, they continue wrecking the world.
Read 9 tweets
Sep 19, 2022
Most of Europe has a serious fossil-fuel addiction problem.
#France is heavy on nuclear.
#Spain + #Portugalβ€”lots of oil.
Coal in the east.
But check out #Denmark (the only place where renewables predominate) and the other Scandinavian countries (hydro).
Similar map for provinces of #Canada, where I live. The West and #Quebec have a lot of water...and thus hydroelectricity.

Not trying to make an invidious comparison here. Canada of course *produces* massive amounts of fossil fuels.

Source: electricvehicles.bchydro.com/about/what-doe…
Read 4 tweets
Sep 19, 2022
By 1920, the network of interurbans in the US was so dense that a determined commuter could hop interlinked streetcars from Waterville, Maine, to Sheboygan, Wisconsinβ€”a journey of 1,000 milesβ€”exclusively by electric trolley.
πŸ§΅πŸš‹
The tracks, and often the wires, extended deep into forest and farmland, making the railroads de facto intercity highways; after nightfall in the countryside, farmers would signal drivers to stop by burning a rag next to the track.
Streetcars and interurbans became the dominant mode of urban transportation in North America, carrying 11 billion passengers a year by the end of the First World War.
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(