Jennifer Heighton Profile picture
Sep 20, 2022 20 tweets 16 min read Read on X
Thread 🧵:
A tale of 2 🇨🇦airports & flights, Vancouver (YVR) & Calgary (YYC), using a CO2 monitor to measure air quality.

@yvrairport @FlyYYC

Here’s a handy graphic for reference: (H/T @zerocovidthai) Infographic picture. Title:...
2/ @yvrairport requires masks in the terminal, unless eating or drinking. Large signs are posted by entry doors to remind people of this rule.

The vast majority of people are complying. (Proves that universal masking policies DO WORK & “personal choice” ones don’t).

@bcndp? Photo shows a large sign.  ...
3/ Vancouver Int’l Airport has 2 terminals, domestic & int’l. I’m in the domestic one. CO2 levels are pretty good, in various places throughout. Reasonably busy time.

One area to potentially avoid: restaurant where it’s crowded & everyone is unmasked to eat.

Alt text more info: B Gate waiting area in YVR ...Washroom in B gate waiting ...B Gate waiting area. Not to...
4/ Prior to boarding, it’s announced that masks are mandatory on the flight. Transport Canada rules are that any flight departing from or arriving at a Canadian destination must comply with mandatory mask rules.
(I am wearing a @vitacoreinc N99.)

Link: tc.canada.ca/en/initiatives… Photo is a “Mask requiremen...
5/ Boarding plane. @WestJet. From reading 🧵 from previous COVID-aware advocates, I knew boarding is the most dangerous time as the plane’s ventilation system is usually off. Hence I booked seats close to the front (boarding last). Even so, CO2 levels were high. Keep 😷on! Boarded the plane; waiting ...Boarding plane; more people...Most passengers have boarde...Taxiing to the runway. Gett...
6/ Plane is taking off from @yvrairport. CO2 levels start to drop from the last reading of over 1900, but still not low enough yet. The plane’s ventilation system is clearly now on.

2nd photo shows downtown Vancouver w/ mountains & ocean, taken from the plane. ☺️ Taking off. CO2 level reads...Aerial shot of Vancouver, w...
7/ Cruising. From 10 minutes after takeoff, to landing the plane an hour later, CO2 levels hovered in the 1100-1250 range. On the chart that looks poor, but since planes have good HEPA filtration systems (not shown on CO2), it’s safer than it looks. Kept 😷on though. 10 minutes after takeoff. C...30 minutes into flight. CO2...The plane is landing at Cal...Aerial shot of downtown Cal...
8/ Waiting to deplane. The airport is still attaching the walkway to the door. It’s been only 10 minutes since we stopped; CO2 has gone up dramatically in that time.

Luckily I’m sitting close to the front so we are among the first to exit. (If you can, pre-book your seats!) CO2 monitor reads 1644 ppm.
9/ Calgary airport. Took only 1 reading as we were in a rush to leave.

Definitely better than on the plane but not as good as @yvrairport. CO2 monitor reads 975 ppm. ...
10/ The next tweets document the return journey; Calgary airport @FlyYYC to Vancouver airport @yvrairport. @WestJet again.

I thought it would be the same, but there were some differences! 😮
11/ Tale of 2 airports continued…ready for the return flight!

Calgary airport @FlyYYC’s ventilation is pretty good, like Vancouver @yvrairport. So far, so good.

Photos are of the waiting area at the gate & the washroom. It was decently busy in the terminal at the time. Calgary airport, waiting at...Restroom at Calgary airport...
12/ As anticipated, the moment I boarded, the CO2 reading went up. From low 1200’s on immediate entry, to 1800’s just minutes later.

I had booked a seat close to the front again.

Plane is mostly full (a bit less packed than the first flight).

Alt text has more description. Just boarded plane. Big dif...10 minutes after boarding. ...Calgary airport; taxiing to...Calgary airport; Waiting in...
13/ As expected, at 5 minutes after takeoff, CO2 levels are dropping, to 1353ppm. But here’s the weird part - instead of dropping down to the 1100-1200 range, like the first flight, the levels end up hovering in the 1500-1700 range throughout the flight! Plane HEPA helps, but 😮! 5 minutes after takeoff. CO...20 minutes after takeoff. W...Now it’s 30 minutes after t...Calgary to Vancouver; start...
14/ Decending into Vancouver. Finally the CO2 starts dropping again. But it took 1 hour to get back to these levels, which aren’t great to begin with. Again, airplane HEPA filtration helps to lower the risk (which the CO2 monitor doesn’t pick up).

I kept my mask on. Descending into Vancouver. ...Just about to land in Vanco...Aerial shot of New West, Pa...Aerial shot of Burnaby. The...
15/ Once the plane lands, the ventilation system is turned off in most planes, and we see that here as the levels start to rise again. Luckily the plane gets to the gate fairly quickly and we are deplaning within 15 minutes. Landed at Vancouver airport...Plane has stopped at the ga...Door has opened; passengers...
16/ Last reading of this journey! Vancouver International Airport, domestic terminal, arrival area just before descending to baggage carousels. As expected from prior readings, ventilation is pretty good. It’s a Sunday afternoon, so somewhat busy but not overly so. CO2 monitor reads 577 ppm. ...
17/ If you’d like to read more about airplane flights & ventilation, see this thread & responses by Toronto engineer @joeyfox85.

He’s the real expert! It’s thanks to him & @DavidElfstrom @CPita3 @BarryHunt008 that I’ve learned about the importance of clean air in COVID safety.
18/ And if you liked this CO2 investigation, you may also like the Downtown Vancouver shopping mall investigation I did in March 2022…
#CovidisAirborne
#CovidIsNotOver

BC Public Health should be informing ALL businesses about ventilation & @bcndp giving tax rebates if fixed!
19/ And the other CO2 investigation thread I wrote was a restaurant comparison - visit was end of June, 2022; thread written in early July.

Note: weather at the time was temperate; low 20’s Celsius.
20/ END

A CO2 monitor is a handy device, especially in crowded, indoor spaces. It helps see if the air is being refreshed enough by the HVAC system, or the opposite, whether you are breathing in too much of other people’s exhaled air, in case someone happens to be infectious.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jennifer Heighton

Jennifer Heighton Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @jheighton3

Aug 12, 2023
🧵
“I feel like we are in a worse position b/c of complacency…the pandemic has been downplayed this whole past year. And not enough has been explained to people about the long-term harm from previous COVID infections.”@jheighton3

@Protect_BC in the news:
vancouversun.com/news/local-new…
2/ Public health officials have learned “zero lessons” since the 6 child deaths & overcrowded EDs last winter, @DrFiliatrault said. “This virus needs you to be 2 steps ahead.” B.C.’s PH officials “are going to be reactive again.”

(In comparison, New Zealand gov’t has it right:)
3/ “@DrFiliatrault is concerned the PH messaging is not focused enough on the potentially debilitating impacts of long COVID, symptoms that can include chronic pain, brain fog, shortness of breath, chest pain, fatigue and neurological symptoms.”

(That includes kids. See article:
Read 10 tweets
May 6, 2023
🧵:
It gets exhausting, listening to BC Public Health get it wrong, again & again, putting people’s lives at risk.

Latest example, Dr. Patricia Daly, @VCHhealthcare on @bctoday show.

She’s wrong, as scientists at @JohnSnowProject prove. “C19 like the cold or flu” - NO!

More…
2/ For a good start to how Dr. Daly, @VCHhealthcare, is wrong in her statements, see this thread. It has the source recording of her interview, too.

I’ll follow w/ proof from @JohnSnowProject.

@SKGandhiMD breaks down the main errors w/ the interview…⬇️
3/ Dr. Daly reassures BC that @WHO is correct in declaring the global C19 emergency is over, b/c of “high population immunity” & that C19 is like a cold or flu now.

@JohnSnowProject article, w/ studies in footnotes, proves her wrong. (See 1st tweet for link to article.) Screenshot of John Snow Pro...
Read 18 tweets
Apr 28, 2023
“All human lives have value. We don’t want pity, we demand our human rights. No one is disposable, no one should be sacrificed.” @sylvia_a_fuller

Exactly. @KasariGovender said so, too - so @adriandix, WILL YOU LISTEN? You are violating human rights by removing mask protections.
2/ @DrKarinaZeidler: “I work as a family doctor…what I see is, ppl who are struggling just to be able to STAY ALIVE. They’re losing their housing, they’re losing their support, their community; they are isolated & alone.” #LongCovid

Do better, @adriandix. Quit minimizing & ACT.
3/ Every chalk outline represents 100’s of BC’ians who must access BC healthcare services every day. All have medical reasons for needing care: whether cancer, organ transplant, diabetes, ER, accident, surgery, blood tests, dental care…

We all need HC at some point. @adriandix
Read 5 tweets
Apr 28, 2023
🧵:
Time to make some noise, Greater Vancouver! Come out to show @adriandix @bcndp that universal mask protections *must* be returned to healthcare settings.

Protect HCW & patients. #CovidIsNotOver, & 2-way masking is the most effective way to lower transmission.

Article:
2/ LTC homes suddenly getting vaccinated this week, with no notice given, shows that @CDCofBC is aware that C19 is still a threat. Of course, because XBB.1.5 plus XBB.1.16 are circulating.

In which case, @bcndp should #BringBackMasks too.

Protect those at risk! Vax not enough.
3/ Proof that C19 cases are rising is in @CDCofBC data, shown here. (Thx, @rdumont99!)

Note that @CDCofBC is only going to report monthly from now on.

That means BC needs to #BringBackMasks more than ever, since withheld data means operating in the dark.

Risk assessment? Hah!
Read 9 tweets
Mar 27, 2023
🧵
It’s obvious that #COVIDisAirborne (& many other viruses too like colds, flu, RSV), yet @CDCofBC @bcndp refuse to admit it & take immediate action. Upgrading 6% #bced schools per year doesn’t cut it.

@Dave_Eby The longer you wait, the more “flat earth” out-of-touch you’ll be.
2/ Illinois just passed legislation to put 60,000 HEPA purifiers in classrooms.

This SUPPLEMENTS mechanical ventilation by filtering air, providing additional air changes *on top* of what the HVAC system provides.

(Contrast w/ @bcndp, who erroneously think mech v is enough.)
3/ Boston Public Schools have an indoor air quality database, where people can check CO2 levels (& more) of their child’s classroom in real time.
➡️bostonschoolsiaq.terrabase.com

@bcndp Would be an excellent way to prove whether your claims that iAQ in #bced schools are good enough. Screenshot of one classroom...
Read 8 tweets
Mar 18, 2023
I’m wondering when the class action lawsuits can begin for every Canadian who developed #LongCovid, considering public health KNEW about it from @GovCanHealth, starting July ‘20 & building through ‘21, yet told no one.

People’s “personal risk assessments” are based on lies.
🧵⬇️
2/ Of particular note in a lawsuit should be public health’s decision to promote “it’s mild”, related to initial acute infection period, while staying mum about a significant risk of #LongCovid afterwards.

And removing mask protections in 2022, stating “personal choice”.
3/ Of course, gov’ts have passed laws where people can’t sue them or public health over their decisions.

But there needs to be SOME ACCOUNTABILITY. The harms done are egregious & shouldn’t be allowed. No one should be above accountability.

The moral & physical harm is huge.
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(