Just Stop Oil Profile picture
Dec 6, 2022 5 tweets 5 min read Read on X
🚨 BREAKING: SOUTH LONDON SLOW DOWN

⏰ At 8am, 15 Just Stop Oil supporters walked onto the road at Bricklayers Arms roundabout in South London demanding the government halt all new oil and gas licences.

#FreeLouis #FreeJosh #CivilResistance #A22Network #NoNewOil #EnoughIsEnough
Sam Griffiths, 47, a Dad and designer from London said:

"I feel sick seeing how little is happening to address climate breakdown, the biggest crisis humanity has ever faced. And our Government is actively making things worse. Granting over 100 new oil licences is indefensible"
💬 "I started actively supporting Just Stop Oil after we had 40°C in the UK for the first time in recorded history. It scared the shit out of me. I looked at my boy and realised I couldn't just continue to do nothing."

#COP27
💬 Steph, from Scarborough said:

"This government have been asleep at the wheel... pumping out more oil and gas. It's not going to bring the price of energy down. It's not going to improve the cost of living. It's just setting us on a path to climate hell".

#EnergyBills #COP27
🏛 SLOW DOWN IN ST PAULS

🚧 Traffic disrupted by Just Stop Oil supporters in St Pauls demanding an end to new oil and gas licencing.

🔥 The @UN say this is the only way to avoid climate catastrophe.

✊ Join us in the road today or sign up: bit.ly/JSOaction2

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Just Stop Oil

Just Stop Oil Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JustStop_Oil

Feb 14
🦺 Cressie gave her defence statement to the jury today at Isleworth Crown Court, before @ChrisGPackham was called as a witness.

🧵 Thread of her statement.

📷 Photo credit: Denise Baker Image
On 20th July 2022, I climbed up onto a gantry over the M25. I hung up two banners – one said “Just Stop Oil” (the campaign in whose name I was taking action) and the other said “40 Degrees” (this was a day after the 40C heatwave scorched the UK, burnt down houses and left people dead).
The prosecution have said that my intention was clearly to stop the traffic. However, it is under oath that I say I was not expecting the police to close the entire motorway. I thought it was possible they may decide to close one or two lanes, or perhaps slow the speed of the traffic, but I was very surprised when they closed the whole thing. I was surprised because I was conducting a nonviolent, peaceful protest, the intention of which was to gain media attention and create public pressure on the government to stop new oil and gas.
Read 10 tweets
Nov 6, 2023
The Chairman of the @Conservatives is tweeting lies about protesters being glued to The Cenotaph.

The reality is that they were dragged off the road and arrested by police for protesting in the street, under legislation his corrupt party introduced.

Share and expose this lie.
@Conservatives They were marching, peacefully, along Whitehall to Parliament Square. But that's not stopped @LeeAndersonMP_ from quite literally politicising the Cenotaph and war dead. We are disgusted and appalled.
We need everyone to stand up to this madness. We are holding a public march on the 18th of November. All are welcome.

This was previously planned to be non-arrestable, but we can now no longer guarantee safety from arrest.

Please sign up to march at
🦺actionnetwork.org/forms/people-v…
Read 4 tweets
Oct 26, 2023
🚨 BREAKING: Just Stop Oil begin actions on Monday, 30th Oct. This is our message to @metpoliceuk chief, Sir Mark Rowley:

Until you prosecute the criminals responsible for crimes against humanity and acts of genocide, Just Stop Oil supporters will remain in civil resistance.

The facts are clear. New oil and gas licensing in 2023 will kill hundreds of millions of people, adding to the already mounting global death toll from climate breakdown. To know these facts and still encourage drilling for UK new oil and gas is reckless and immoral.
The politicians planning to max out the UK’s oil and gas reserves are not directly seeking mass death—the primary aim of their support for fossil fuels is profit and power. To them, it’s an inconvenient side effect that millions and eventually billions of people will die.
Read 9 tweets
Jul 6, 2023
🚨 Just Stop Oil March On as Sunak Plans to Ditch Climate Pledges

🦺 At around 8am, 25 Just Stop Oil supporters began marching in four groups in Southwark and Tower Hamlets. Two marches converged on Tower Bridge, were issued a Section 12 notice and were off the road by 8:30am. https://t.co/rChqIECGjgtwitter.com/i/web/status/1…
📃 The mini-march in Vauxhall was issued a Section 12 notice and was off the road by 8:10. A mini-march in the City of London started at 8:52 and was issued a Section 12 by 9:15, just before Blackfriars Bridge. Further marches are expected later this morning.
👎 Today’s marches were spurred on by the fact that the Government is signalling that it may fail to honour its commitments to essential climate funds. Commentators have said that @RishiSunak risks “shattering” the UK’s global standing by slipping out of its £11.6bn commitments.
Read 6 tweets
Jul 1, 2023
🏳️‍🌈 BREAKING: JUST STOP OIL DISRUPTS PRIDE

🧯 LGBTQ+ supporters of Just Stop Oil have disrupted the Pride in London parade, blocking Coca-Cola's float and spraying black and pink paint over the road.

🧵 A thread on why we've disrupted #PrideInLondon: https://t.co/bGjudM9VUltwitter.com/i/web/status/1…
🛢 LGBTQ+ supporters of Just Stop Oil met with the organisers of Pride in London, demanding they make a statement condemning new oil and gas licences.

🦺 Pride in London have failed to do this, so we have taken action.
💀 Who do you think will be the first to suffer the consequences of societal collapse? It will be marginalised communities, such as the LGBTQ+ community.

⛓️ Pride have a responsibility to take action to protect their community, and they are failing.
Read 6 tweets
May 10, 2023
✊🌍 Students Against EACOP x Just Stop Oil Youth: THURS 11th MAY @ 7PM

ONLINE TALK: Hear from those in civil resistance in Uganda, who are working to stop the construction of the world's longest crude oil pipeline through Uganda and Tanzania.

Register: us02web.zoom.us/meeting/regist… Image
Construction of the pipeline has already displaced over 10,000 people, devastating the local communities it runs through. And that's before we start on the catastrophic carbon impacts of the project.

@stopEACOP #EACOP #JUSTSTOPOIL
These activists are in civil resistance in a dictatorship, and some members have even been tortured for their actions. But their drive is unfaltering and they are coming back stronger than ever this summer.

@letsStopEACOPuk @eacopkatwa
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(