Brendon Profile picture
Dec 11, 2022 22 tweets 16 min read Read on X
What are students saying about Ontario’s #Bill23? On Friday December 9, @westernsogs organized a large public demonstration on #WesternU’s campus as part of our effort to spread community awareness of the Bill and what it means for the housing and climate crises. A recap 🧵 Image
If you don’t know me, I’m the 1st Sustainability Coordinator at SOGS. I advocate on behalf of grad students’ environmental rights. I’m the Chair of an advisory committee for the City of London dedicated to environmental stewardship & climate action. I’m also working on a PhD!🐦🪟 Image
Two weeks ago, @westernsogs endorsed a letter condemning #Bill23 and educating our membership about what is at stake in Ontario’s housing and climate crises. You can read the statement in full here:
sogs.ca/bill-23 Image
Then, on Friday December 9, after #Bill23 received royal ascent, we organized a demonstration on campus that was open to the #ldnont public. It was a cold week and right at the start of exam season, so we weren’t sure how many people would show up… Image
Well, we were not alone in the cold that afternoon! We had graduate students, undergraduate students, staff, faculty, tons of people and advocacy organizations from off campus. Together we gathered at the top of University College (UC) Hill at Western. Image
We brought with us a bunch of signs students put together the night before, and other signs were made on the spot. Our messaging focussed on the kinds of information students are motivated by: evidence, truth and facts 🧐 (grad students are good at checking the receipts)
We (SOGS Sustainability Committee) invited representatives in London City Council and the provincial government to attend. Given broad implications for students, we also invited the USC & University administration, but they opted not to appear. Image
We put out a press release and invited the local media. We were grateful to have the student-run @uwogazette onsite to take pictures and interviews! 📸 in this thread were taken by David Nguyenn
Recordings of the demonstration speeches by myself, SOGS VP Advocacy @philosoyousuf, SOGS Accessibility Commissioner @justmejustash, SOGS President @dfaccs, Ward 6 @strosow and Ward 7 @CorrineRahman, MPPs @PeggySattlerNDP @kernaghant are on YouTube 👀👇
youtube.com/playlist?list=… ImageImageImageImage
Our demonstration proceeded to march through campus, across the river and over to the university’s front gates, to wave our signs at passing rush-hour traffic. Our chants were accompanied by a wonderful marching band made up of community members! 🥁 #Bill23NotForMe ImageImageImageImage
As the lead organizer, I want to highlight my take-home messages:
1. Many of us recognize NOW is the time for an #OntarioGeneralStrike! We must band together, stop reacting to individual crises, and instead form a unified front to hold our government accountable #EnoughIsEnough
2. We call on the @OntarioPCParty to release its secret #mandateletters immediately, per their legal obligation. The @OntarioAuditor General warns that this government is failing to conduct its business with transparency it owes to the people it serves:
auditor.on.ca/en/content/new… Image
3. #Bill23 must be repealed. We call on our federal representatives @pfragiskatos @KayabagaArielle to examine if Ontario’s government is contravening 🇨🇦's #UNDRIP Act by neglecting to consult Indigenous peoples about legislation impacting Treaty rights.
justice.gc.ca/eng/declaratio… Image
4. We demand that Ontario’s PC government stop telling blatant lies, answer questions directly and provide justification for plans and decisions based in evidence and science. Universities train students to pursue the truth. We must hold government to a similar standard, or else:
5. We urge everyone to continue to share what you know and are concerned about in #Bill23 and other changes imposed by this government. We must continue to apply pressure and prepare for our next opportunity to vote for leadership we need in 3.5 years. Linktr.ee/StopBill23
Thank you to everyone who showed up for our demonstration, and to people everywhere in Ontario and First Nations who are standing up for what they believe in. We will get through this together. Students are here and ready to act for our future and for our only home 🌎 ImageImageImageImage
More photos... ImageImage
.@justmejustash, the SOGS Accessibility Commissioner, illuminates how Ontario's housing and environmental crises are interconnected, and disproportionately impacting vulnerable populations, especially people with disabilities. #HousingIsAHumanRight

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Brendon

Brendon Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @eyeonthefly

Jun 22
Someone complained about my yard again and TWO bylaw officers showed up to investigate, front yard and back. They told me the yard and lot maintenance bylaw applies to grass and weeds over 8 inches. We had a good discussion in which I explained the updated bylaw, and they left. Image
I asked, can you please identify which grass and which weeds in particular are causing the problem and impacting health or safety? They could not. They did not seem familiar with the new parameters of the bylaw’s height restrictions (e.g., corner visibility triangles).
Last year, when the advisory committee I sit on recommended a review of this bylaw, Council decided to instead direct staff to produce public information materials to support Municipal Law Enforcement Officers in explaining the bylaw to order recipients and complainants. Image
Read 19 tweets
Sep 8, 2023
The government’s predictions are extremely bleak 🫣 Pardon my Français but if we weren’t already in crisis, held hostage by corrupt leaders/companies hijacking our outdated systems of government, maybe the publication of this data would provide the “oh shit” moment Ontarians need
On the above chart, red is “Very High” risk, captured from the report’s executive summary

ontario.ca/files/2023-08/…
The report provides a breakdown of climatic data for different regions in Ontario, looking at changes to extreme heat, cool days, precipitation… Basically, this is our long term, irrevocably-altered weather forecast. We are on our way to being cooked alive
Read 12 tweets
May 2, 2023
I wish we (people on Ontario) paid more attention to proposals of solutions for major issues that are being tabled by the opposition and rejected by the provincial government. The Greens, Liberals and NDP are offering ways to address lack of affordable housing, climate change…
We are at a point in our political discourse when the extent of the problems or the merit of ideas to fix the problems matter a lot less than the colour of the branding for whoever is proposing solutions. This majority government only listens and votes according to the party line
RIP🪦 to the Greens’ comprehensive housing bill, to the Liberals’ flooding prevention bill, to the NDP’s rent control bill… these solutions don’t see the light of day under Ontario’s media coverage, and so the people of Ontario remain uninformed and won’t apply pressure.
Read 4 tweets
Jan 18, 2023
Now that @ON_Integrity @OntarioAuditor agreed to investigate, it might be helpful to uncover more info about circumstances of this backroom meeting and others like it re: greenbelt development. Which specific developers attended this private function in Markham on Feb 12 2018?
In case you missed it…
pressprogress.ca/doug-ford-made…
Read 4 tweets
Jan 17, 2023
I wrote a blog for @envirodefence summarizing info from Ontario conservation authorities and municipalities about impacts to wetlands following changes to OWES.

Learn more about which specific wetlands are at risk of losing protection in your watershed👇 environmentaldefence.ca/2023/01/17/flo…
I took the 📸 in the blog header last summer at the Sifton Bog, a wetland in #ldnont 10,000 years in the making that @UTRCAmarketing says is no longer guaranteed protection as a Provincially Significant Wetland complex under revised OWES rules. Which other wetlands are at risk? Image
Ontario has 36 conservation authorities @conont. I summarized what some of them have said in reports and statements about anticipated losses of Provincially Significant status to wetlands in their jurisdictions. See the blog for references. I'll compile some maps/quotes in a 🧵 Image
Read 15 tweets
Jan 5, 2023
This video is so misleading it is almost nauseating, but with a new soundtrack it could be rebranded as a trailer for a futurist/dystopian horror film set in Ontario
Ontarians should follow the public participation for this project closely. It remains to be seen whether the international, privately-held Therme Group is designing their luxury spa concept after the public’s interest. Seems problematic, according to senior planners in Toronto
“…the latest deep-pocketed firm with designs on a chunk of Toronto’s waterfront, is a far more opaque organization, privately held, with no publicly disclosed source of financing besides the entry fees and ancillary revenues generated by its spas”
spacing.ca/toronto/2022/1…
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(