Okay, I'm now up to the Deathly Hallows films
I think my fav film so far is Half-Blood Prince

it's the most film-like & still balances the "yar a wizard harry" aspect of the series with the serious dramatic tension.

Great film; I would actually watch it again.
#harrypottertwitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Jim Broadbent plays Professor Slughorn & totally nails the role.

He is actually likable & relatable without the script telling you this is the guy you are supposed to like

He brings in the sense of a deeper philosophical world in Harry Potter & makes it feel more lived-in.
When people talk about the Harry Potter movies & the best talents, they rarely bring up Broadbent,

Usually, it's Gary Oldman or Alan Rickman, sometimes the 2 actors that played Dumbledore

But Broadbent's Slughorn holds my attention & makes me want to see more of that character.
Perhaps because I'm now an adult watching these films, I find his performance more technically impressive than instead of an angsty young adult

Rickman sells the tickets, but Broadbent does not.
But of the two, I like Broadbent a whole lot more.
I love the absolutely awful color grading of this film,
the browns work really well for Harry Potter,

You get some of the warmth of the Columbus films with the serious tone of the later entries.
At the time, people absolutely hated Half-Blood Prince for the emphasis on teenage romantic relationships & SNOGGING (which I didn't know til reading the book was British slang for making out)

but looking back, I find those bits endearing; it makes the characters very relatable
Lastly, I love Half-Blood Prince because this is the one Harry Potter film that treats Ron as he is in the books,

Not just a comic relief, not just Hermoine's punching bag but a 3-dimensional character.

Before this rewatch, I would have told U Half-Blood Prince was of the weaker entries in this series,

& I love what Alfonso Cuarón did with Azkaban; that film is still fantastic.

But I must say Half-Blood Prince is the Harry Potter film I most enjoyed rewatching.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Peter Pischke-Friendly Neighborhood Journo

Peter Pischke-Friendly Neighborhood Journo Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @HappyWarriorP

Aug 17
This is darkly funny,

Baltimore said they wanted a fair public meeting to let information from all sides on the opioid epidemic to be known for the public

Reporters covering pain patients were invited

And Baltimore canceled it because the truth would hurt their slush fund from the opioid lawsuits
Baltimore: "we want people to be able to hear the truth"

Reporters: "You mean how these deaths are entirely from street drugs and doctors and pharmacutical companies aren't to blame"

Baltimore: "just not that Truth"
I'm dying 😭
Read 4 tweets
Jul 26
this is so beyond disturbing,
their case went all the way to the supreme court who overwhelming ruled it was a joke & sent it back

only to have the judge blow off the decision of SCOTUS
fox10tv.com/2024/07/17/jud…
this is why people like me cannot get our medications, because you can have the flipping SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA on your side & still end up in prison

what a farce this all is
@billybinion you should follow this

fox10tv.com/2024/07/17/jud…
Read 7 tweets
Jul 12
That's because American medical & drug culture is based in Puritanical America, literally the Puritans of the 17th century.

Same place, Prohibition is foundational from

To the Puritans, weakness is a sin; there are no flaws, only moral deficits.
Look up Cotton Mather & the temperance movement

The difference today is that we pretend people have no moral agency at all

they can only fall under the power of the temptation
but it's the same attitude & framing

same energy, just different buzzwords Image
Our Culture also comes from the idea of the American Prosperity Gospel.

It's the idea that righteousness & charitable acts lead to wealth & success

ERGO: the wealthy are more likely to be good people
& the poor & disabled are more likely to be wicked Image
Read 6 tweets
Jul 12
i played Crusader Kings 3 with mods for a few days til i got that game out of my system,

came around to: yup, this game is still CK3
I love games where you get to rule a fiefdom,
CK3 is great for that sort of thing, but it's very rinse & repeat

no amount of mods can quite make up for that
especially when at least half of mods are broken for whatever is current release version
Stellaris same thing
Paradox Studio Games are like that

enjoyable, but their payment model hides clear systems to improve the game inside their expensive DLC

I think it dooms the gameplay design because everything feels a bit iterative but never revolutionary.
Read 8 tweets
Jul 8
The problem with treating canon as disposable is that it trains the audience that the show is disposable

All of fiction is made-up, it doesn't exist, but by its rules & lore we can trick ourselves into believing it's real

When anything goes so to does our interest in it Image
Let me put it more simply

Doctor Who is 60 years old, either those 60 years means something or it doesn't mean anything at all
The MCU is toast in part, like so many other franchises because they've decided anything goes

Anything can happen is not exciting, I could be doing anything else

If I'm here for Doctor Who I'm here for Doctor Who

If I'm here for Spider-Man give me Spider-Man
Read 7 tweets
Jun 10
Everyone knows what @Asmongold meant by this,

He means injecting current year political commentary into a remake to a game from 2004

I hate where folks pretend to not understand words

"technically" game is a play by those with low levels of intelligence & little creativity
This is why I hate social media,

because people get so into owning others that the standard of topical conversation always drops by a minimum of 10 iq

We know what he meant, but they don't want to have a conversation they can potentially lose so they just do things like this
It's unhelpful, because it says my views are acceptable for discourse but your views are only worthy of derision

You cannot have a conversation on those terms

Only more anger
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(