Scott Aaron Rogers Profile picture
Feb 28, 2023 9 tweets 7 min read Read on X
Hey there #Indiana, we need to talk about the @indgop supermajority and their shameful version of Florida's "Don't Say Gay" law.
scottaaronrogers.substack.com/p/indiana-gop-…
#HB 1608 passed in the House last Thursday and will move onto the Senate this week. This disgraceful bill stigmatizes trans kids, as if they weren't struggling enough already.
#Hoosier #Republicans, already using state funds to subsidize religious education and already-wealthy private school parents, have now seen fit to single out the 0.006% of kids that identify as trans.
It's not like they don't have other things they could be focusing on. Our teachers are underpaid, our classrooms overcrowded, our students underserved. Our best and brightest are leaving the state at an alarming rate.
Why are the @indgop doing this? It's simple - this is pure, old-fashioned, in-group/out-group politics. Racists and segregationists have been using the same playbook since Brown vs. Board of Education in 1954. Same script, different target. The goal: destroy public education.
Call it what it is: authoritarianism, totalitarianism, fascism. Blame the "other" for society's ills.
The media does a terrible job putting these things in context. They'll give a surface overview of both sides, but never the needed historical perspective. Let the people know, @WTHRcom @wrtv @WISH_TV @CBS4Indy @indystar @SBTribune @JGfortwayne @courierpress @nwi @theheraldtimes
Thank you to everyone who has been so supportive of #HoosLeft so far this year. Please subscribe, share and retweet. It will take large numbers to beat back the rising authoritarian tide. Wake up your friends!
scottaaronrogers.substack.com
@threadreaderapp uhhh... lemme get an unroll please

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Scott Aaron Rogers

Scott Aaron Rogers Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @scottrog78

Jul 18
#Indiana, do you remember 2008? When @BarackObama won the Hoosier state? Well, Pepperidge Farms remembers, and so do I.
What happened? Did Republican policies get more popular? No! Did our fellow Hoosiers get more conservative? No! As @TheDestinyWells says, we're a purple state with a turnout problem. indianacitizen.org/a-bit-of-a-lin…
Nobody explains how we got here better than @DavidPepper, and I'm honored to have hosted him for my latest episode of the #HoosLeft podcast.
Read 7 tweets
Jul 17
Hey #Indiana, I am really excited for the congressional candidacy of @ErikDHurt! I've gotten a chance to spend a little time with him over the past few weeks, and he couldn't be a nicer guy.
erikhurtforcongress.com
He brings a bold, progressive vision for the people in Indiana's 8th District, #EVille #Terredise. It was nice to meet in person at the @INDems convention this weekend, but we first spoke for the #HoosLeft podcast.
Over two episodes (dude can talk!), we dig into the rigged economy, healthcare, education, immigration, abortion rights and his MAGA opponent's weird priorities.
Read 7 tweets
Jul 2
Many of you on #HoosierTwitter know Micah Beckwith, the GOP nominee for Lt. Gov. @Mister_L_Bear has done a particularly good job exposing his BS. If you don't know him, let me introduce the self-proclaimed Christian nationalist.
And BTW, traditional Indiana media, quit calling him ultra-conservative. Joe Biden, 2/3 of Dems, and a handful of GOP are conservative. Maybe 1/3 of Dems are progressive. Beckwith and the MAGA faction are reactionary, regressive, extremists. They don't conserve, they destroy. Image
Anyway, Becky claims Christian nationalism just means loving "Jesus and America, too" like something out of a Tom Petty song.
Read 9 tweets
Jan 15
#HoosLeft podcast is out with a new episode. Today's topic: college sports. Why is a leftist political podcast talking about sports? I cover Indiana politics, history, and culture. And you can't discuss Indiana culture without sports. Image
The @NCAA, a feckless organization that gives all bureaucrats a bad name, anchors @WhiteRiverStPrk in downtown Indianapolis. If there's one thing everybody in this politically polarized country can agree on, it's that the NCAA is terrible. Image
College sports are a uniquely American institution. Other countries may have quaint club-level contests, like the Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race. In the good 'ol USA, we have a capitalist, exploitative juggernaut - a $16B industry.
pbs.org/newshour/econo…
Read 13 tweets
Jan 1
Happy 2024 #Indiana. In a new episode of the #HoosLeft podcast, we LEAP into the New Year with @DavidSandersRep, discussing the IEDC and the LEAP "innovation district." I'm a dad. I make puns. This is what we do. Image
LEAP is a 9,000 acre development put together by the IEDC to lure advanced manufacturing and high tech industry to Indiana. Behold, their slick presentation:

iedc.in.gov/leap-lebanon
Investment and jobs is the promise to #Hoosiers, but look, the IEDC and its counterparts in other states are all basically money laundering operations in which big businesses and (mostly) #GOP politicians divvy up OUR tax dollars behind closed doors. Image
Read 8 tweets
Dec 4, 2023
Right-wing politicos, manosphere grifters, and religious bigots have played on male insecurity to push extremist ideologies, exert control, and separate fools from their money.
thenation.com/article/cultur…
But here's the thing; this entire grift is nothing new. Look at the history of moral panic over the 'wussification' of men:
threadreaderapp.com/thread/1572713…
I mean, there IS a crisis of manhood, but not like these clowns say. As little boys, we had a whole golf bag full of emotions and were told we have to play the course of life with only one club: anger. And if you even think about using one of the others, you're a sissy. Image
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(