Laura Burkhardt Profile picture
Mar 20, 2023 6 tweets 4 min read Read on X
As #MoLeg returns from spring break and have vowed to undermine doctors & parents by banning gender-affirming care, I can’t stop thinking about this. MO state rep Justin Sparks is sponsoring #HB540, which bans trans healthcare. Listen to what he said at his church recently. twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
There’s been a lot of discussion surrounding the timing of the whistleblower complaint and these anti-trans bills “coincidentally” getting a hearing at the same time.

Listen again. Rep. Sparks calls it “divine” and says “the lord placed the bill in his lap. #MoLeg twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
As Rep Justin Sparks bans healthcare from those he deems unworthy, he states that he’s completely unqualified for this job.

“I’m not qualified to do this job. I’m not smart enough. I’m not skilled enough…”

So you’re never going to guess who directs his decisions… Yep, God.
This is what religious extremism looks like. This is what we’re up against. If you haven’t been vocal yet, now’s the time. They’re telling us what they’re going to do. We all need to take them seriously.

More info on Rep Sparks church, Grace Church. #MoLeg
Sermon from Grace Church just days before the January 6 insurrection. twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Feel free to email or call Representative Sparks to educate him on gender-affirming care. It’s his first year and he seems a little lost.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Laura Burkhardt

Laura Burkhardt Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @LauraAnnSTL

Jul 19
Lizzie Sparks, co-host of the far right talk radio show “Cancel This” filed a false police report. She hotlined a substitute teacher, claiming he sexually assaulted her daughter. Problem is, her daughter didn’t even attend that high school.

Here’s where it gets wild…

The substitute teacher who the false claims were made against was running against Lizzie Sparks’ son-in-law, Justin Hicks (R) in the primary for state representative in Missouri HD 108 (St. Charles). Hicks was the incumbent. In March, Justin Hicks switched to a Congressional run.
But it’s okay, Lizzie Sparks is a good Christian…

Her radio show spews hate every minute they’re on the air. Her co-host is Vic Faust, who was fired from Fox 2 News after repeatedly berating his former radio show co-host Crystal Cooper, using repulsive sexist language.

Read 4 tweets
Jul 13
🧵3 days ago, Rick Brattin, a sitting republican Missouri State Senator held a full Christian worship service in his official Senate office.

Not his campaign office. Not a church. Not his home. In the Senate office he temporarily occupies in OUR HOUSE. THE PEOPLE’S HOUSE.#MoLeg
The Freedom From Religion Foundation sent Brattin a cease and desist over his unconstitutional prayer service. The letter cites the Establishment Clause, Missouri Constitution, and several court rulings.

The @FFRF has had to get involved in MO law countless times. I’m thankful.
Anyone who follows Missouri politics (or any red state politics I’d assume) already knows what Senator Brattin’s very adult response on his Senate letterhead might be.

The Senator’s response to violating his oath to uphold the constitution is “pound sand.” He’s unfit to serve. Image
Read 8 tweets
Jun 26
🧵Ascension Catholic Church in Chesterfield, Missouri is actively recruiting young men, ages 18-29, to join their newly-formed militia.

Chesterfield has a violent crime rate of 0.71 per 1,000 residents, compared to 4 nationally and 4.88 in MO. @MomsDemand @Everytown
The purpose of this militia is to “protect the Church from violent and non-violent attacks but also bring young men back to the Faith.”

52 Archdiocese of St. Louis parishes have closed in the last 10 years, 48 of which closed in 2023. Soldier cosplay won’t fix that.
This is only the beginning and they hope to spread their armed religious extremism across the world.

“Ascension Parish in Chesterfield, MO has been chosen as the testing ground for the militia and, if successful, we hope to establish platoons at parishes around the world.” Image
Read 9 tweets
Mar 13
🧵A few days ago, a video was shared of a horrific assault of a white girl (Kaylee Gain) by a black girl near her HS. Missouri Republicans dug in-blaming the tragedy on the school’s DEI efforts, pushing their school choice agenda, and claiming heartache & sympathy for the victim.

Yesterday afternoon a 14-year-old black boy named Justin Brooks was stabbed & died 1 block from his middle school while walking home. Nothing but silence from these republicans. This is why I will never believe their “condolences” or ability to care. ONLY if it fits their agenda.
You care about all kids or you care about no kids. We have politicians who only feign interest in horrific events if the victim is white & they were hurt by an undocumented immigrant, or a black man, or a black high school student. Every tragedy should push us to change.
Read 4 tweets
Feb 15
🧵A thread of Missouri Republican lawmaker’s “thoughts & prayers” following the tragic shooting at the Chiefs Super Bowl parade vs the actions they take that have gotten us here.

Hypocrisy at its finest along with countless preventable deaths, injuries, and trauma. #MoLeg Image

Read 14 tweets
Jan 8
🧵My best friend (Black woman) & I were pregnant at the same time 18 yrs ago. We both had preeclampsia, hers undiagnosed as her symptoms were written off. I was put on bed rest & hospitalized. She was told to relax. A week after she gave birth, the day my son was born, she died.
2/5 Still to this day, I blame myself. We talked multiple times a day. We were experiencing the same symptoms. How did I miss this?

I’ve stayed very close with her husband & daughter from that pregnancy. A few weeks ago her daughter came over to tell me that she’s pregnant.
3/5 After we finished hugging and crying, she began talking about her fears involving everything her mom went through. She told me she cannot go to her OB appointments without another woman in the room with her, someone to help advocate for her if her symptoms are downplayed.
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(