Amina Yonis, PhD Profile picture
May 20, 2023 8 tweets 5 min read Read on X
@NotionHQ has introduced a new exciting feature, Notion AI, which can help you (1) improve existing content, (2) summarise content or (3) write new content.

Here are 5 ways you can use Notion AI to improve your academic writing:
1. Improve existing content

With text you have already written, you have the option to make some modifications to that section. Here, I've asked Notion AI to make the text longer, which has added some detail and formatted the initial paragraph to enhance it academically. ImageImage
It is important to note, there are no references here so far. So, I asked Notion AI to provide me with references for this section of text.

It provided me with references, albeit, not formatted correctly. Image
2. Summarise content

This can help you gain a better understanding of a topic as a first step. I used the prompts 'explain this' and 'summarise' on a 500 word essay about how Scanning Electron Microscopy works.

I like how simple the new text is - makes it easier to read. ImageImage
3. Write an essay / presentation outline

As a first step, you could use Notion AI to write an essay outline. This can be used as a template and guide for your reading and research. It can also be used as a basis for the structure of a presentation. ImageImage
Using the pros & cons prompt and I asked for the +/- of a PhD. There's also the option to write out a meeting agenda, brainstorm ideas or a to-do list. Image
Overall, Notion AI is great for working faster and getting more done, as you're able to spend your time focusing on what is really important.

Many academics already use Notion for note-taking, reminders and planning.

This is simply another way of streamlining.
If you found this thread helpful, retweet this thread to share it and follow me @DrAminaYonis for more tips on academic writing and research.

#AcademicChatter #AcademicTwitter #phdlife #phdchat @PhDVoice @AcademicChatter #notionai #notion

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Amina Yonis, PhD

Amina Yonis, PhD Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @DrAminaYonis

Jan 19
There is no PhD without critical discussion.

Here are 6 strong examples of ways to be critical in a thesis:
1. Comparative Analysis

Compare and contrast different theories, methodologies, or findings relevant to your research question. Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of each approach.

Evaluate how your research builds upon or challenges existing frameworks.
2. Identifying Limitations

Acknowledge the limitations of your own research design, data collection methods, or theoretical framework. Discuss how these limitations may impact the validity and generalisability of your findings.
Read 10 tweets
Dec 20, 2023
You CAN write a research paper in a weekend using AI.

Here’s how Paperpal Copilot can automate the writing process in just 6 steps:

Bookmark this for all your writing in the new year!
First, signup to Paperpal - it’s free and you can start to use it straight away.

Paperpal allows you to write, edit and submit faster, meaning you can take a draft to a finished product in just a few hours.
Step 1 - Generate introduction outline

Supercharge your writing process by generating an introduction outline which gives you a starting point.

Paperpal Copilot instantly gives you a comprehensive research introduction outline, which breaks down each section.
Read 10 tweets
Nov 1, 2023
Academics spend hundreds of hours searching for literature. Instead, use shared reading lists to half your reading time.

R Discovery is a free AI-powered app that promotes human-generated organised reading lists.

This is how you can work smarter:
Step 1 - download the R Discovery app.

Create a tailored reading feed and adjust your research interests by selecting topics to follow.

This feed builds recommendations and will send new and relevant research papers to you regularly.
To conduct a literature search, start by exploring top papers that are based on topics you follow.

This presents research papers that are the most relevant to you, saving you hours on running manual searches on databases.
Read 9 tweets
Oct 28, 2023
Here's are questions to ask yourself when reflecting and critiquing research papers:
(1) consider a counter-argument - an objection, alternative, or problem that a
skeptical reader might raise

(2) define your terms or assumptions (what do I mean by this term? what am I assuming here?)

(3) handle a newly emergent concern (but if this is so, then how can X be?)
(4) draw out an implication (so what? what might be the wider significance of the argument I have made? what might it lead to if I’m right? or, what does my argument about a single aspect of this suggest about the whole thing? or about the way people live and think?)
Read 7 tweets
Oct 26, 2023
Don’t waste time using ChatGPT for your academic research needs.

It provides incorrect references and out-of-date information.

Instead use AI-powered tools that are designed for academics:
Search and Discovery

AI-Powered Search Engines - Use AI-enhanced search engines to help you find relevant articles, books, and scholarly sources more efficiently.

For this, R Discovery provides you with a feed tailored to your research interests. Image
Literature Organisation

Reference Management Software - Tools like Zotero, Mendeley, or EndNote can help you organise and manage your references.

MyBib has a Chrome extension which allows for importing, adding and formatting references. Image
Read 9 tweets
Oct 6, 2023
Stop using ChatGPT or Quillbot to perfect your academic writing.

These platforms are not designed for academics.

Instead, use Trinka which is a free AI-powered app.
Trinka is an online grammar checker and language correction AI tool made specifically for academic writing.

It can detect errors that generic spelling correctors like Grammarly wouldn’t.

Here are 5 of my favourite Trinka features:
Advanced Grammar and Spelling Checks

Trinka can correct issues with sentence structure, word choice, usage and style.

In particular, their advanced contextual checks ensure that you get grammar suggestions based on your subject area.
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(