Lea Alhilali, MD Profile picture
May 31, 2023 7 tweets 4 min read Read on X
1/ “Say Aaaaaaah!” I was explaining to my resident how I remember tongue anatomy on imaging & he said, “You have to put it on Twitter!”

So here's a #tweetorial about how to remember tongue anatomy on imaging.

#medtwitter #radres #medstudent #FOAMed #FOAMrad #neurorad #meded Image
2/ When you look on the coronal plane at the tongue, the first thing you notice are two column like structures that look like a pair of jeans—genioglossus—or as I like to say “jean-ee-o-glossus.” Genioglossus is latin for jeans of the tongue, right?  Image
3/Right below the jeans are what look like a pair of clown shoes—the geniohyoid. So you see a pair of legs going right into a pair of shoes. Image
4/The clown shoes look like they are balancing on a tight rope—the tight rope is the mylohyoid. The mylohyoid is easy to remember as the tight rope b/c it is often called the mylohyoid sling—a sling is like a tight rope Image
5/ So every time I look at the tongue on imaging, I am looking to make sure I can see my clown walking on a tight rope. Any distortion of that is pathologic. Image
6/ And although it’s not quite the tongue, right beneath the tight rope are two tubular looking structures pointed at you—the anterior bellies of the digastric muscles. I think they look like two gun barrels pointed at you. Image
7/ So next time some asks you about tongue anatomy, you can tell them about the clown on a tight rope above two gun barrels and they can say, “Aaaaah, now I get it.” Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Lea Alhilali, MD

Lea Alhilali, MD Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @teachplaygrub

Jun 27
1/Blast from the past!

Sometimes to be next gen, you gotta to go old school!

Cutting edge pituitary imaging must be MRI, right?

Or can we go back to the future w/CT?

Here’s the latest in pituitary imaging in this month’s @theAJNR SCANtastic!

ajnr.org/content/45/6/7…
2/Pituitary imaging is actually very difficult.

First challenge is the small size of the gland & even smaller adenomas, requiring high resolution.

And the difference between adenomas & the gland is subtle—both enhance, but adenomas enhance SLIGHTLY less Image
3/The difference in enhancement is transient & ends quickly

So pituitary imaging must be done dynamically to catch this small window of difference

So we have to do very high resolution imaging very quickly—the worst of both worlds! Image
Read 12 tweets
Jun 21
1/”I LOVE spinal cord syndromes!” is a phrase that has NEVER, EVER been said by anyone.

Do you become paralyzed when you see cord signal abnormality?

Never fear—here is a thread on all the incomplete spinal cord syndromes to get you moving again! Image
2/Spinal cord anatomy can be complex.

On imaging, we can see the ant & post nerve roots.

We can also see the gray & white matter.

Hidden w/in the white matter, however, are numerous efferent & afferent tracts—enough to make your head spin. Image
3/Lucky for you, for the incomplete cord syndromes, all you need to know is gray matter & 3 main tracts

Anterolaterally, spinothalamic tract (pain & temp). Posteriorly, dorsal columns (vibration, proprioception, & light touch), & next to it, corticospinal tracts—providing motor Image
Read 20 tweets
Jun 19
1/”Tell me where it hurts.”

How back pain radiates can tell you where the lesion is—if you know where to look!

Remembering lumbar radicular pain distributions can be back breaking work--but here's a thread to help you! Image
2/Let’s start with L1.

L1 radiates to the groin.

I remember that b/c the number 1 is, well, um…phallic.

So the phallic number 1 radiates to the groin. Image
3/Let’s skip to L3 for a second.

I remember L3 is to the knee—easy, it rhymes! Image
Read 8 tweets
Jun 10
1/Do you know all the aspects of, well, ASPECTS?

Many know the anterior circulation stroke system—but posterior circulation (pc) ASPECTS is often left behind

25% of infarcts are posterior circulation

Do you know pc-ASPECTS?!

Here’s a thread to help you remember pc-ASPECTS Image
2/Many know anterior circulation ASPECTS.

It uses a 10-point scoring system to semi-quantitation the amount of the MCA territory infarcted on non-contrast head CT

If you need a review: here’s my thread on ASPECTS:
3/But it’s only useful for the anterior circulation.

Posterior circulation accounts for ~25% of infarcts

Even w/recanalization, many of these pts do poorly bc of the extent of already infarcted tissue

So there’s a need to quantitate the amount of infarcted tissue in these pts Image
Read 8 tweets
May 29
1/Waving the white flag when it comes to white matter anatomy?

Turns out white matter anatomy isn’t black & white!

This months @theAJNR SCANtastic is the white knight you need to rescue you!

Here’s the white matter anatomy you NEED to know!

ajnr.org/content/45/5/5…
2/Gray matter or cortical functional anatomy is well known.

Everyone knows the motor & sensory strips. Most know Broca’s & Wernicke’s

But most forget that white matter has similar functional topography & just bc it’s white matter doesn’t mean it doesn’t have function! Image
3/But too often we don’t refer to this white matter functional anatomy.

Instead we use general terms like “corona radiata”

But that’s the equivalent of using the word “body.”

Just like the body has many different systems in it, so does the corona radiata! Image
Read 12 tweets
May 21
1/Having trouble remembering what you should look for in vascular dementia on imaging?

Almost everyone worked up for dementia has infarcts. Which ones are important?

Here’s a thread on the key findings in vascular dementia! Image
2/Vascular cognitive impairment, or its most serious form, vascular dementia, used to be called multi-infarct dementia.

It was thought dementia directly resulted from brain volume loss from infarcts, w/the thought that 50-100cc of infarcted related volume loss caused dementia Image
3/But that’s now outdated. We now know vascular dementia results from diverse pathologies that all share a common vascular origin.

It’s possible to lose little volume from infarct & still result in dementia.

So if infarcts are common—which contribute to vascular dementia? Image
Read 21 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(