@NitaGhei 1. Hi, Nina, I read your great article, which called my attention for being an issue I have been insisting on for some time. First of all, let me offer you the link to my book on suicide where I tackled this issue (it's free for download):
researchgate.net/publication/34…@NitaGhei 2. I'm originally a molecular parasitology and then a Ph.D. in sociology of science, with an emphasis on scientometrics. The first thing that caught my eye was the misinterpretation of "opioid deaths" epidemiological curves.
May 7 • 10 tweets • 2 min read
1. It's not ok to "educate" the public on the harms of whatever drugs, or xenobiotic substances, or however they may frame it, if they don't even know how many valances carbon takes and why.
2. It's not ok to "educate" the public on an epidemic, or a pandemic, if they don't have some fairly advanced statistics training and, specifically, epidemiology statistics training.
Mar 5 • 11 tweets • 4 min read
1/ Tired of getting the exact same response from your office eleven times, between September 2021 and today, I decided to publish the case. You will probably continue to ignore my application, as well as those of thousands of other freelancers and immigrants. @SBAgov2/ As you can see in the image below, you are requesting my 2019 tax return and the 4506-T form. I submitted these documents all eleven times you requested it, because it was necessary for you to reconsider your rejection. @SBAgov
Dec 3, 2021 • 6 tweets • 3 min read
1. I am not sure if this @COPDFoundation program for distributing #harmonica s and helping COPD patients learn them is still up. I wish I had read more on this last year because it could have saved my Dad a lot of suffering.
copdfoundation.org/Learn-More/I-a…2. This is my Dad's harmonica and the beginning of my own music/memory/something else journey. I gave it to him about 25 years ago when his harp was stolen during a break in.
Dec 2, 2021 • 7 tweets • 3 min read
1. Today I got my Hohner Marine Band and my Suzuki pro master.
Yes, they sound completely different from one another. Yes, they sound great, they are easy to hold and to play.
This is it for now. 2. Studying and playing the harmonica is probably the one single meaningful activity that I am able to engage with without pain or hesitation.
Dec 2, 2021 • 6 tweets • 2 min read
1. A member of the US Supreme Court, something that should be indicative of high professional achievement, experience and wisdom (but is not, not in this country) suggests legalizing kidnapping, domestic prison => #AmyConeyBarrett#AmyCovidBarret
thedailybeast.com/supreme-court-…2. ..., physical constraint by private citizens, physical, reproductive, sexual and emotional abuse, and other felonies associated with a forced pregnancy.
Nov 16, 2021 • 11 tweets • 4 min read
1. This reminds me of my 20+ years in Latin American studies, in which I had the privilege to learn about the "Latinamerican" identity of students from so many countries. 2. The first time I taught LA studies classes was in 1999-2000 at the @UF . Several of us, students and professors (or just me?), used to sit to eat at the open spaces in the campus and talk about our own "latinidad".
Feb 21, 2021 • 18 tweets • 5 min read
1. My husband called my attention to some offensive, entitled, and childish comments about an alleged "failure" of the scientific community to come up with other vaccines, since the SARS-Cov-2 vaccine was achieved so fast.
historyofvaccines.org/content/articl…2. The comparisons were with HIV and cancer. They left out malaria, several other lethal bacterial and virus-caused diseases. This entitled attitude, as well as hatred for science, used to be a feature of American culture, part of its "exceptionalism".
@fvckinashman@KarlitoRichII@JoLuehmann 1. Thanks, Jay. Yeah... the Gracies have had connections with oppressive violence in Brazil from day one. Their recent interaction with the fascist dictatorship (1964-85) is still not sufficiently told. @UrbanAntonio has been collecting pieces here and there.
@fvckinashman@KarlitoRichII@JoLuehmann@UrbanAntonio 2. There is another phenomenon that grew as an offshoot of Gracie-inspired BJJ: the neonazi BJJ groups in large cities like Sao Paulo, Rio and Brasilia. Their shady relations with the repression institutions is still not sufficiently documented, as a lot about ....
Feb 8, 2021 • 8 tweets • 3 min read
1. There is something stuck on the back of my mind since center-right economists like @paulkrugman started insisting that stimulus checks/universal income were not as important as unemployment benefits: the size of the labor force versus the size of the population. 2. The official employment/unemployment data provided by @BLS_gov the misses the chronically unemployed. This segment is larger than the officially unemployed. Unless the individual officially checks in their job seeking efforts, they are not counted as part of the labor force:
Jan 12, 2021 • 7 tweets • 2 min read
1. This is an interesting development.
I say that as one who is radically critical of patriotism in general, who was not and will never be a patriot to any nation-state, and who, as a social scientist, ...
2. understands nation-states are artificial constructs maintained by dominant segments of society through certain superstructures such as nationalism.
Dec 23, 2020 • 5 tweets • 2 min read
1. Wake up: THE 70M TRUMPISTS ARE YOUR TRUE ENEMY
If the trump base donates $20 each, they can raise 1.4B overnight. That's a hypothetical to point out that:
- the Trump cabal doesn't really have financial problems: they have practically unlimited resources with the base 2.
- the American legal system doesn't have unbailable offenses. That means the worst murderers will be bailed out by the base because of the hate/resentment/racist mindset, and that will never change.
Nov 30, 2020 • 9 tweets • 4 min read
1. I have compiled a collection of online supplements-in-bulk retailers since @BulkSupps doesn't seem that interested in fixing the bugs on their website. They seem to be moving to a mobile-device-only store - I don't do phone stuff, ever, like most researchers.
2. Here are some sites that compiled online #supplement store competitors:
1. Black consciousness/awareness day - The fight goes on
Black consciousness day is not the day slavery ended in Brazil. The end of slavery happened by imperial decree on May the 13th, 1888.
exoduscry.com/blog/general/h…2. Since the 1980s, the Brazilian Black Movement adopted the day of Zumbi's death (and the end of the Palmares Quilombo) as their day of awareness and consciousness.
Nov 9, 2020 • 4 tweets • 1 min read
1. How about reinstating the Glass Steagall act?
Think: in the 2008 crisis, banks appropriated thousands of single family properties and established the biggest real estate speculation scheme in US history. federalreservehistory.org/essays/glass_s….
2. It's happening again. The Dust Bowl social tragedy was caused by banks and speculation...
2. @WashArchbishop has been one of the compassionate and inclusive voices among religious leaders about transgender people, reassuring them that they belong in the Church and there is nothing wrong with them.
1. I'm originally from Brazil. Brazil is one of the countries with the highest unsafe abortion mortality rates. It has always been. When I was 16, a girl from our anti-fascist organization died from sepsis 2 days after her abortion. After that there were several. 2. Higher middle-class and rich women had safe and humane abortions. According to my mother (94 yrs old), in her days, middle-class women still had a chance of safer abortions but they were punished by not being given anesthesia.
Oct 22, 2020 • 4 tweets • 2 min read
1. The democratic/anti-fascist coalition depends on accepting allies we can march with only up to page three. The Left was bashed for being intolerant. This "#resister" blocked me just for sharing resources on the Left. He's unimportant but his actions are a symptom. 2. At this point in history, everybody is lumped into two groups: one very heterogeneous (ours) and one much more homogeneous (the trump side). I support the Biden-Harris ticket, I support other center or center-right candidates and projects. Up to page three,
Oct 22, 2020 • 10 tweets • 2 min read
1. MY DREAM/WISH LIST, not necessarily in this order. Add yours if you want.
* See Barrett excommunicated from the Catholic Church for her role in the infliction of torture or some other of the many horrendous and immoral acts she engaged in;
* See Barrett disbarred;
* See Kavanaugh disbarred;
* See Kavanaugh and Barrett impeached and removed from the SCOTUS;
* See Trump arrested and delivered to the International Court at the Hague to answer for Crimes against Humanity;
Oct 21, 2020 • 8 tweets • 2 min read
1. @duty2warn , a frequently asked question is how to make sense of the predominance of psychopathic behavior among so many members of authoritarian governments.
At this point we have no doubt that trump and bolsonaro are classic psychopaths, both malignant narcissists and...
2. ... both manifesting sexual sadism, bolsonaro having a proven record of participation in torture sessions during the dictatorship "for fun".
Trump has exhibited sadistic pleasure innumerable times as well.