DAK Profile picture
Sep 2, 2020 22 tweets 43 min read Read on X
Thoughts on precellular biological evolution.

I don't know who might be interested in my thoughts about non-cellular evolution, but consider the "life form" described at 7 minutes and 9 seconds into this video. --- Please continue reading this thread...
This is actually very close to the way I figure, and have long figured, life most likely evolved back before it was so complex. When I came across this video, it reminded me very much of some of the ways I have envisioned extremely early Earth life based on my understanding.
This example is of course not such simple primitive life, but what I'm talking about is the way its genetic material and byproducts of that genetic material reproduces and interacts without the need to be separated into individual cells.
I don't of course "know" what early Earth life was like, but from what I do know it would be possible for even the simplest RNA based or DNA based life to evolve in such a manor in a complex diversity of self-replication and genetic exchange in combined cooperation & competition.
Such pre-cellular life could easily have continued until one more more forms managed to evolve ways of isolating themselves from the whole, at least partially protecting themselves and some portion of their descendants from losing their newly evolved protective isolation ability.
Of course, experiments have shown that simple forms of prebiotic "cells" can grow and reproduce even without any genetic material at all, so of course I'm not saying reproducing cells couldn't have been around from the start of life or even before abiogenesis.
It seems to me that the evolution of the complex molecular machinery of modern life would have been more likely to have evolved in this sort of everything-goes style biochemical community where nature's experiments could have been shared more freely than in today's common forms.
Such pre-cellular life could have had access to practically endless ways of combining and recombining as those various combinations effectively raced each other to discovery by trial and error of what worked most efficiently and most effectively and what could survive best.
Eventually, some small and fortunate subset of the descendants of what turned out to be most sustainable within such a partially-competitive and partially-cooperative environment would have been around to look back on their possible ancestry and wonder if it had been this way.
Evolution is the accumulation of change. Biological evolution is the accumulation of change in biology. The example shown 7 minutes & 9 seconds into the video at allows & therefore would have allowed biological evolution without individual cells.
Thoughts?
I wrote this in the hopes of starting some discussion among people who find the topic of evolution interesting even beyond the limited scope the evolution of cellular life. I posted my first rendition of it in the Phylogeny Explorer Project group on FaceBook and then revised it.
The revision was meant to become first a thread on Twitter, then the unrolled copy at threadreaderapp.com/thread/1301032… and then a discussion post on the League of Reason website. In other words, even this discussion starter has evolved to get to this stage.
My first post on the League of Reason website can be found at leagueofreason.org.uk/index.php?thre… and is meant for discussion about and related to the concept of a Balanced Instant Runoff Normalized Yield general election. Feel free to check it out and perhaps discuss that topic there.
My second post on the League of Reason website can be found at leagueofreason.org.uk/index.php?thre… and is meant for discussion about and related to implementation of an approval vote style People's Primary. Please also feel free to check out that post and join the discussion if you like.
I just posted the latest version version of this on League of Reason at leagueofreason.org.uk/index.php?thre… which I am now mentioning in Twitter, so even now this discussion starter continues to evolve, regardless of whether any further evolution of it shows in that branch of its evolution.
And now, to invite a few people to the discussion that I think might find it interesting enough to have something to say about it. I hope I've chosen well, because Twitter still lacks any way to un-add someone from all branches of a conversation. Let's see how this evolves.
@Catheri77148739 @kaakMinde @FearTheSphere_ @NoahPaulLeGies @TakeThatEnglish @AprilLigeia @RosaRubicon @Axel_Sharpshire @orna_verum @ReillyOToole1 @Da_BuDMaN @RalphScenic @GlenSteen @ashuaurora @GregCampNC @Aron_Ra @AtyHans @Dragonblaze @ZenaMOBrien @RanWiz @sallyforthe @ScientiaPercept @WoopsWoah @NoScienceDenial @rkdoctr @RJDownard @RichardDawkins --- What do you think of the idea that pre-cellular life could have evolved most of the basic molecular machinery later used by cellular life? Has there been an experiment done to see how simple genomes evolve reproducing without cellular reproduction?
🔦 Alternatively, if anyone wishes to discuss this thread's topic with just me and perhaps certain specific other people, I recommend starting with a reply to this tweet and @ mentioning any such other people once to include them explicitly. 🐦

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with DAK

DAK Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @DonaldKronos

Nov 1, 2022
This Twitter thread explains how the #evolution of even the primitive election #FPTF system still used in too many elections can be guided to produce a much more democratic election system, through the accumulation of simple changes.
#Approval#Score#STAR#BRAMYIR
#BRAMYIR offers the benefits of #ApprovalVoting, #ScoreVoting, & #RankedChoiceVoting, plus the benefit of a balanced ballot, while encouraging honest voting & discouraging attempts to game the system with dishonest strategic voting such as votes for the mere lesser of two evils.
It's easy to improve on the common single faceted first past the post voting system, and it's easy to make positive changes add up to positive evolution. #RankedChoiceVoting is an improvement, we can do better then that with the simple removal of a single voting restriction.
Read 59 tweets
Sep 16, 2020
🔥 #BRAMYIR stands for Balanced Ranked Approval Maximum Yield Instant Runoff. It's a powerful and easy to use hybrid voting system which allows votes directly for or directly against any number of competing candidates. For more details, please continue reading… 🐦
#BRAMYIR offers the benefits of #ApprovalVoting, #ScoreVoting, & #RankedChoiceVoting, plus the benefit of a balanced ballot, while encouraging honest voting & discouraging attempts to game the system with dishonest strategic voting such as votes for the mere lesser of two evils.
#BRAMYIR is similar to #StarVoting in that it is calculated using scores rather than ranks and looks at all scores in the first round, but unlike #StarVoting this process is repeated with the remaining candidates for as many rounds as it takes.
Read 46 tweets
Sep 2, 2020
@RJDownard @Catheri77148739 @kaakMinde @FearTheSphere_ @NoahPaulLeGies @TakeThatEnglish @AprilLigeia @RosaRubicon @Axel_Sharpshire @orna_verum @ReillyOToole1 @Da_BuDMaN @RalphScenic @GlenSteen @ashuaurora @GregCampNC @Aron_Ra @AtyHans @Dragonblaze @ZenaMOBrien @RanWiz @sallyforthe @ScientiaPercept @WoopsWoah @NoScienceDenial @rkdoctr @RichardDawkins I figure likewise. What I wonder though is whether it happened in cells, or in something more like free protoplasm, with nuclei or even with free floating stuff that these days we generally only find in nuclei, in protists, or in prokaryotes.
Read 9 tweets
Aug 31, 2020
🇺🇸 Why the USA needs a People's Primary with Approval Voting.
Know anyone who is tired of having too few acceptable options on the general election ballot, here in the USA. If so, please promote this with the hashtag #PeoplesPrimary & please Continue Reading…

The so-called "primaries" and "caucuses" that are held by privately owned political parties are not government elections. In fact, they are not actually elections at all. They're part of a process used to decide who the people CAN & CANNOT vote for in the ACTUAL election.
More accurately, the so-called primaries are a step in the process of privately owned political parties making an official decision about which candidates they will allow the people to have listed on the ballots of the actual election, known in the USA as the general election.
Read 20 tweets
Aug 22, 2020
#BIRNY stands for Balanced Instant Runoff Normalized Yield. It's easy to use & more powerful than #ApprovalVoting, #ScoreVoting & #RankedChoiceVoting, combined. #Birny also allows voting directly for or directly against any number of competing candidates. Continue reading…
#BIRNY is a variant of #BRIRES with simple normalization preserving the relative strengths of votes for or against candidates as indicated by the voter. A voter may choose their own scale or vote ranked choice style using fractions or using a balanced ranked choice voting ballot.
#BRIRES stands for Balanced Rational Instant Runoff Election Systems, and allows the voter to choose ballot style such as #ScoreVoting, #ApprovalVoting, or #RankedChoiceVoting, and also allows voters the option of using a #BalancedBallot to cast a true #NegativeVote. #BIRNY
Read 32 tweets
Aug 19, 2020
A #BRIRE system includes the powers of #ScoreVoting, #ApprovalVoting, #RankedChoiceVoting & more, with balance built-in allowing voters an option of using a #BalancedBallot to cast a true #NegativeVote if they choose a ballot which includes that option. Continue reading… #BRIRES
#BRIRES EXPLAINED: A Balanced Rational Instant Runoff Election System (#BRIRES) is much more powerful than the USA's out-dated first-past-the-post system and allows voters to choose a simple ballot to be automatically converted or a #BRIRE ballot to access the full potential.
Using a computer system to vote with a simpler ballot such as one the voter is accustomed to, they could choose to view the calculated translation of their simple ballot into a full #BRIRE ballot and optionally edit it before printing or submitting the final ballot. #BRIRES
Read 38 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(