Stark After Dark Profile picture
Feb 15, 2021 13 tweets 7 min read Read on X
(10) PRINCIPIA DISCORDIA (1963)

Or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her

Particularly when the Goddess in question is the playful goddess of chaos in classical mythology, Eris or Discordia, Image
(9) DAISETZ SUZUKI - ZEN & JAPANESE CULTURE (1959)

Zen's influence on Japanese traditional arts - art, haiku, tea ceremonies, the Japanese love of nature and above all swordsmanship. I've always found swords to have a metaphorical resonance to life and how one lives it. Image
(8) PETER DICKINSON - THE FLIGHT OF DRAGONS (1979)

Here be dragons!

And how! "Speculative natural history", which addresses perhaps the most awesome question of fantasy - what if dragons really existed Image
(7) WESTON LA BARRE - THE GHOST DANCE: ORIGINS OF RELIGION (1970)

"Psychoanalytic account of the birth of religion through the lens of his treatment of the ghost dance religion of native America" Image
(6) JOSEPH CAMPBELL - THE HERO WITH A THOUSAND FACES (1949)

Behold the monomyth! (And the hero's journey) Image
(5) PENGUIN DICTIONARY OF SYMBOLS (1969)

"This is a remarkable dictionary, exploring the vast and various symbols which abound in literature, religion, national identity and are found at the very heart of our dreams and sub-conscious" Image
(4) KATHARINE BRIGGS - A DICTIONARY OF FAIRIES (1972)

A classic book, alternatively titled An Encyclopedia of Fairies, which now seems sadly out of print, by a classic British folklorist - indeed THE classic British folklorist Image
Honorable mention: Alan Froud & Brian Lee - Faeries Image
(3) BARBARA WALKER - WOMEN'S ENCYCLOPEDIA OF MYTHS & SECRETS (1983)

She is the goddess and this is her body! Image
(2) BULFINCH'S MYTHOLOGY (1867)

Bulfinch's Mythology still remains a classic reference (and handily in the public domain) - as indeed it was for me as my introduction as a child to the world of classical mythology Image
(1) BIBLE

The Hebrew dreaming and the great messianic ghost dance

The holy book of smiting and begetting

Chosen people and only son Image
My #top10 #mythology #books #tier list

Of course, in a literal sense the Bible is both OT and NT - but for me, if the Bible is my Old Testament of mythology books, then Bulfinch's Mythology and Barbara Walker's Women's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets are my New Testament Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Stark After Dark

Stark After Dark Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @0starkafterdark

Feb 13, 2023
TOP 10 PHILOSOPHIES:
@Paracelsus1092
@ViciousRicardan

(1) HUMANISM

"Man is the measure of all things"
"What a piece of work is a man, how noble in reason, how infinite in faculties, in form and moving how express and admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god: the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals!"
Ladies and gentleman - I am that man! And yes I know that soliloquy goes on to undercut that sentiment
Read 12 tweets
Feb 11, 2023
Stark After Dark: Top 10 Mythology Books snark.substack.com/p/top-10-mytho…
Re-publishing my Top 10 Mythology Books, as I originally published them together with my Top 10 Mythologies and the combined feature was a little too long. (Also shuffled some entries)
@Paracelsus1092
@ViciousRicardan
@ReginaldODonog1
@Rad_Sherwoodism (if only for Hutton!)
Here they are as tier list Image
Read 7 tweets
Dec 22, 2022
HISTORY: TOP 10 WARS
(SPECIAL MENTION)
@Paracelsus1092
@ViciousRicardan

(13) MIGRATION PERIOD

The flip side of the fall of the western Roman Empire - from whose perspective it was a period of barbarian invasion
Exactly what it says on the tin - a period of large-scale migration, mostly Germanic migration, invasion and settlement of various tribes within Europe, establishing post-Roman European kingdoms
It is often classified into two waves, although it is most associated with the first wave (or Volkerwanderung) of big-named Germanic tribes - Visigoths, Vandals, Franks and Ostrogoths, as well as Angles and Saxons in Britain
Read 21 tweets
Dec 21, 2022
(SPECIAL MENTION)
@Paracelsus1092
@ViciousRicardan

(12) BRONZE AGE COLLAPSE

Styled as World War Zero by some historians
The Bronze Age Collapse - or Late Bronze Age Collapse - was the widespread collapse of Mediterranean Bronze Age civilization in the 12th century BC, argued to be worse than the collapse of the western Roman Empire or even the worst case of societal collapse in human history
Minoan Crete and Mycenaean Greece - the Greeks of the Trojan War - were among the most famous casualties, ushering in the Greek Dark Ages for a few centuries
Read 12 tweets
Dec 20, 2022
(SPECIAL MENTIONS)
@Paracelsus1092
@ViciousRicardan

That's right - I'm swapping in three new entries which I prefer for my Top 10 Wars (Special Mentions)

(8) KOREAN WAR (1950-1953)

Often labelled the forgotten war, at least in the United States Image
Or compared to WW1 as a conventional stalemate for most of its duration as well as its inconclusive ceasefire, with a tendency to overlook both for WW2, or the Korean War for the Vietnam War (with even the M*A*S*H* series set in the former being more a commentary on the latter)
Here in my special mentions for my Top 10 Wars of History, I've decided that this will not do – with the Korean War not only worthy of special mention along with the similarly overlooked First World War, but with both in god tier to boot
Read 21 tweets
Dec 14, 2022
HISTORY: TOP 10 EMPIRES
(SPECIAL MENTION)
@Paracelsus1092
@ViciousRicardan

(19) CENTRAL AFRICAN EMPIRE

History's most ridiculous empire

Also the last empire in Africa, subsequent to the fall of the Ethiopian Empire
Indeed the penultimate country in the world to have a head of state with the title of Emperor, leaving Japan as the last country standing with an Emperor
The Central African Empire was achieved by the simple expedient of President Bokassa, military dictator of the Central African Republic, declaring himself Emperor and the republic an empire from 4 December 1976 to 21 September 1979
Read 14 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(