Geoff Stetson, MD Profile picture
Apr 13, 2021 14 tweets 6 min read Read on X
1/ Receiving feedback is HARD!

It puts into tension two core human needs:
- To grow🪴 & learn🎓
- To be accepted as we are🫂

Today’s #TweetorialTuesday is going to provide tools to navigate this struggle.

Thanks for joining the @MedEdTwagTeam!
2/ This is our last thread in our #Feedback series (except for a recap next week), and we have saved the best for last.

Many argue that receiving feedback is the MOST IMPORTANT skill.

YOU are the key variable in whether feedback is internalized and applied, not your teachers.
3/ The content of this thread is derived from the work of the feedback gurus, Sheila Heen & Douglas Stone, law professors at Harvard Law School and experts in leadership, collaboration, and conflict management.

Both their book and this paper are definitely worth your time.
4/ Heen and Stone talk about a lot of different things.

I am going to highlight 5 that I feel are most relevant to the clinical learning environment:
5/ 1⃣“Know thyself” – Socrates

Are you generally an optimistic or pessimistic person? Do you react strongly to praise or criticism? Or do you take most things in stride?

If you know your patterns, remind yourself of them so you can be prepared to act how you hope to.
6/ 2⃣Understand the Feedback – Before we determine feedback is valid & something we should incorporate, we first must understand it.
- Enter with a Curious & Open Mind
- Examine Difference – Data & Interpretation
- Don’t Accept Labels – Where did it come from? Where is it going?
7/ 3⃣See Blind Spots
We judge ourselves on our thoughts/feelings & intentions
Observers judge us on our behaviors, impact on others, & their story about us (their interpretation of our thoughts/feelings & intentions)

Our data is invisible to them. Their data is invisible to us.
8/ Here is a true story to illustrate difficulties understanding feedback & blind spots.

I was really hurt to get this feedback. But after we heard each others' stories and interpretations, we realized I needed to work on my communication, and not my dedication to patients.
9/ Ways to uncover blind spots:
- Observe your reaction
- Look for consistencies
- Get a second opinion
- Record yourself
10/ 4⃣Control Emotions
Perceived threats to our identity heighten our emotions.
- Practice mindfulness – Observe your body & your breathing. Slow things down.
- Shift to your rational brain – Something we do in medicine all the time. Now apply it to receiving feedback.
11/ (emotions continued)
- Sort towards coaching – Even if the feedback you are getting is summative/evaluative, put it in the coaching bucket as something that you can use to improve.
- Separate feeling, story, & feedback (see below).
- Give yourself a second score (see below).
12/ 5⃣Be Vulnerable

Our relationships are affected by how we respond to feedback.

When we are vulnerable & share our journey, it allows people to know us better & form stronger connections.

We develop humility, authenticity & confidence.
They feel respected & appreciated.
13/ Again, many argue that how one receives feedback is FAR more important than the way it was delivered.

The five facets of feedback reception I highlighted today were:
14/ Today was the last #Feedback thread. Thank you so so so much for joining us on this adventure! We loved interacting & learning from you.

Next week, @JenniferSpicer4 will summarize all we have covered. Then, a new topic!

Follow me, Jen, & the @MedEdTwagTeam to not miss out.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Geoff Stetson, MD

Geoff Stetson, MD Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @GStetsonMD

May 17, 2022
1/ Attending: “Sam, what is the level of bilirubin at which scleral icterus is noticeable?”

Sam thinking: [1. I can make a guess, but 2. Who cares?]

Seem like a familiar scenario? Let’s help this attending ask a better question.
2/ Whether it is in the team room, or at the bedside, asking questions of learners is a skill that requires intention, preparation, and execution. These best practices were a topic I covered a while back, so this will be a refresher.
3/ These were all the topics that were covered in that series. Each individual thread can be found here:
twitter.com/i/events/13982…
Read 14 tweets
Apr 19, 2022
1/ You just admitted a patient with some really interesting pathology. You want to teach about it tomorrow on rounds. You know it is gonna be a busy day. What’s the plan?

Welcome back to #TweetorialTuesday from the @MedEdTwagTeam. Special S/O to our #MedEd & #MedTwitter friends!
2/ We are still in this “during rounds” section of our inpatient teaching block. Rounds are the CLASSIC time to drop pearls. But, doing it well takes thought and preparation.
3/ What does it mean to “drop pearls”? It refers to pearls of wisdom, and many of us think of some stately professor emeritus waxing poetic in a case conference.

But check out this definition here:
Read 11 tweets
Apr 5, 2022
1/ Welcome back to another edition of #TweetorialTuesday from the @MedEdTwagTeam. Special S/O to our #MedEd & #MedTwitter friends!

Over the last two weeks we have laid out the WHY and the WHAT of teaching communication. Today is the HOW. Let’s go!
2/ For refreshers on the WHY and WHAT, check out these previous threads from:
@JenniferSpicer4 (WHY) –
@GStetsonMD (WHAT) –
3/ And like the previous threads, much of this content comes from this book (Chapter 16 for this thread) by @DrCalvinChou & @LauraCooleyPhD of @ACHonline. It is a foundational book that is extremely readable and applicable. Well worth your time: CommunicationRx.org
Read 12 tweets
Mar 29, 2022
1/ We can’t always treat. We can’t always cure. But we can always support & care with good communication.

Welcome back to our #MedEd & #MedTwitter friends! Today we lay out some foundational skills of communication that you can help your learners to hone under your tutelage.
2/ As we continue to focus on inpatient teaching, we are still in the section that homes in on opportunities during rounds. Especially when rounds are done at the bedside this is a perfect time to practice communication skills.
3/ Last week, @JenniferSpicer4 helped us all to grasp WHY it is important to spend time teaching communication skills:
⬆️Health outcomes & patient experience
⬇️Cost of care
⬆️Clinician experience

Read 16 tweets
Nov 16, 2021
1/ It is near the end of your time on inpatient service and it has been BUSY!

Spirits are high, but folks are tired.
You want to make sure rounds are high-yield, but how to focus their energy?

Welcome back #MedTwitter & #MedEd for another #TweetorialTuesday from @MedEdTwagTeam!
2/ This week, I will share tips on how to use questions to get ”the wheels turning” for your learners before rounds.

In just a few minutes, this focuses energy, engages team members in the cases they may not be following, and enhances bedside learning for everyone.
3/ Today’s 🧵 harkens back to one I posted about ”prediction questions”.

Inspiration: #SmallLearning from @LangOnCourse. It is tremendous, with a lot of useful ideas that can be applied in the classroom or clinical setting. FYI - 2nd ed just came out.
Read 13 tweets
Sep 28, 2021
1/ Learning objectives? For serious?!? 🤔
Aren’t those for boring pre-clinical lectures?
Are they even necessary? I seem to get by just fine without them.

You may get by fine but knowing how to use learning objectives will take your game to a new level. Let's go!
2/ Welcome back, #MedEd and #MedTwitter friends, for another exciting week of learning from the @MedEdTwagTeam.

For orientation, we are still in our foundational skills section of #InpatientTeaching.
3/ Every resident who rotates with me leaves my team knowing why learning objectives (LOs) are important, how to make them, and how to apply them.

LOs provide structure to all didactic content, and IMHO, are the single most useful tool to power up your teaching.
Read 15 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(