Khronicle Genealogy Profile picture
Jun 26, 2021 11 tweets 8 min read Read on X
A big hello and welcome to my new followers this week. With the current flurry around #THEGenealogyShow2021 it's been a busy time.

One of my favourite resources to use in #genealogy research is MAPS. So here's a little thread of #maps to get your weekend off to a good start... Extract from the first ordnance survey map in 1801, showing
The previous map (& here) is taken from the first ever Ordnance Survey (OS) map, produced in 1801 for the Kent.

And why Kent? The clue's in the name: ORDNANCE refers to artillery or weaponry; these maps were made with military defence in mind, just prior to the Napoleonic Wars. 1801 map extract showing Greenwich, at that time in Kent
Of course OS #maps are but a relatively recent development in the long history of mapping. Here's a copy of Morgan's famous 1682 map of London.
Beautiful - but not without its biases: prisons, WHs and signs of poverty were "judiciously" omitted from the final version... Morgan map of London from 1682
Even earlier, John SPEED had produced a famous series of maps of English counties. Here's his drafting of Lancashire circa 1610: #maps John Speed colour tinted map of Lancashire
With so many maps available, you might feel a little overwhelmed when you need a map to use in your #FamilyHistory research.

👉TIP: Find a contemporary map - one that matches up as closely as poss with the time period you're studying. Towns and placenames change over time. Rocque's map of London from 1746
Researching the 19th century onwards? You'll probably want OS maps. Access these here:
👉 National Library of Scotland maps.nls.uk
👉 British Library bl.uk/collection-gui…
👉 Alan Godfrey Maps (paper versions) alangodfreymaps.co.uk

📷 c/o NLS, CC BY-NC-SA 4.0
If you're looking to use lots of Ordnance Survey maps for personal #genealogy research, you might want to follow @natlibscotmaps.

They're also holding a *FREE* online #maps seminar this Wednesday, aimed at family and local historians:
Later on in the 19thC, maps took a turn towards social matters & public health. Charles Booth's series of London maps, chronicling poverty in the capital, are amongst the best known.

London ancestors, late 19thC? Visit booth.lse.ac.uk to explore Booth maps & notebooks... Booth map of London showing Shoreditch and surrounding areas
If you're looking to get started with genealogical mapping, here's an overview of possible approaches over on my personal blog at The Parchment Rustler #FamilyHistory #twitterstorians
parchmentrustler.com/family-history…
You can also catch a video I produced for @InspireArchives in 2020, demonstrating my Outlier Method for genealogical mapping #maps
My take-home message? Maps are *far* more than just decorative; they can revolutionise your research. If you'd like to explore ancestors' stories through the amazing medium of #maps, I'm speaking today at #THEGenealogyShow2021 - tickets available here:
thegenealogyshow.uk

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Khronicle Genealogy

Khronicle Genealogy Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(