#ASMIRT2024 Profile picture
Sep 15, 2021 31 tweets 18 min read Read on X
'Developing ideas for the future': session being led now at #YHFSummit by @jahintanvir_ and strategist @andrewhollo - thanks Jahin for featuring in our @CroakeyNews preview croakey.org/chf-youth-heal…
Mapping ideas #YHFSummit Image
Some key themes emerging from #YHFSummit this morning

1. We need to be better informed: that means better data about young people, better understanding among young people about health concerns/conditions/solutions
2. Young people need to be better included: that's about governance, advocacy, lived experience.

3. Services (design, delivery, access, health practitioner behaviour) #YHFSummit Image
4. Better technology navigation/access, how can technology better enable lived experience too

#YHFSummit Image
5. COVID - how better acknowledge in health system that COVID is a major, disproportionate disruptor in the lives of young people? "Loss, grief, restrictions, missed opportunities...real sense you can't earn this time back" #YHFSummit
Strong message to @CensusAustralia from #YHFSummit ideas session Image
Governance #YHFSummit Image
Need to actively canvass places for young people to be heard; and training so, when they bring ideas, they understand the governance/advocacy/processes that enable them to do so most powerfully #YHFSummit #ideas AND, see lovehearts, pay them! Image
"Build cultural competence into every tender as a requirement."

"Lived experience ought to be part of all practitioner training"

#YHFSummit
Practical suggestions coming through re funding, partic out of pocket/gap payments so young people know what's available at what cost.

Transport issues being raised particularly for rural, regional areas.

Services need to be 'safe spaces' (incl use of nature)

#YHFSummit
#YHFSummit #ideas (also listen to young people when you ask for their feedback on technology) Image
Much love here at #YHFSummit for a better #NDIS Image
Ideas for better acknowledgement of COVID as life disruptor for young people #YHFSummit #SDOH ImageImageImage
#YHFSummit feedback

"It feels like we spend a lot of time teaching and training young people to be acceptable to the status quo - I wonder if we're investing as much energy in shifting those systems."
"I found it took a long time to figure out that I wasn't "supposed" to act a certain way to be professional, because no one said otherwise." #YHFSummit
"And it's worth being critical about who 'professionalism' serves and its roots in white supremacy etc. I love that young people keep showing us different ways to engage." #YHFSummit
"Looking at the upstream interventions that will help young people transition to a 'new normal'."

@andrewhollo says every generation has its own event, the pandemic is one.

Reads out call for a road map for young people "to be able to reclaim lost opportunity".

#YHFSummit
Very strong focus at #YHFSummit on SDOH in pandemic responses, particularly income support (some have benefited, some have lost), devaluing of 'essential' services (which generally lower earning)
"Lived experience needs to be embedded in every aspect of the health system."

"More funding for preventive health."

"Carbon tax, removal of capital gain tax exemptions..."

More ideas from #YHFSummit
What would you like to see in 20 years? #YHFSummit Image
#LGBTIQ+ priorities..... #YHFSummit Image
All these ideas are going to be distilled and shaped for final session by @jahintanvir_ @andrewhollo #YHFSummit Image
Back now to @LeanneWells63 ahead of brief break, thanks #YHFSummit for rich ideas so far today...which will led to key themes and key policy asks to frame @YouthHealthFor1 @CHFofAustralia advocacy Image
Agrees with @jahintanvir_ on need to be solutions focused, and participant comment, 'should we be thinking about young people, supporting them to be health 'creators', not health 'consumers'." #YHFSummit
plz unroll @threadreaderapp

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with #ASMIRT2024

#ASMIRT2024 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @WePublicHealth

Jul 12, 2023
Hey all! I’m Erin, a white Australian woman. I was born and raised in #Naarm, on the land of the #Wurundjeri Woi-Wurrung people of the Kulin Nation. I’ve been many different versions of myself. Most recently I’m a psychologist, research assistant, and #PhD student
#PhDVoices Image
For most of my life it's just been my mother, brother, and me. Things weren't always easy but we were always supported - in #learning and in life. I'm lucky that I've always been able to try things out without being scared of failure or judgement. It's all been an #adventure
I've always wanted to do a #PhD, ever since I was little. It was part of my life plan: grow up (never!), be six feet tall (not even close), visit #Queensland (tick - roller coasters are great), and get a PhD (in progress). I didn't know what about. I just knew I loved learning
Read 4 tweets
Mar 13, 2023
The Federal Government is progressing its commitment to establishing a national Centre for Disease Control, with the recent publication of a stakeholder consultation report summarising key responses about roles and functions of an #AusCDC

health.gov.au/our-work/Austr…
Seeing many conversations about the Centre in recent months using the acronym #ACDC had us @CroakeyNews wondering what's in a name?

Is Australian Centre for Disease Control the most relevant name?

Will the acronym #ACDC work or will it be confused with the rock band?
The report states that many stakeholders accept the name #ACDC – it "clearly positions the organisation's role" & is in line with similar Centres overseas.

But, some noted concern that CDC "did not sufficiently signal a preventative health include".

Other names suggested... Image
Read 9 tweets
Mar 13, 2023
🧵While walking to VU this morning to teach class for #SystemsThinking in #PublicHealth, I began pondering the challenges I experienced. Also how designing & teaching this unit has taught me much about #LearningDesign & #teaching more broadly.

All pics in this thread by me!
It does feel risky to write this thread but here we go...

The interaction of studying the Graduate Cert in #TeritaryEducation & designing & teaching a unit in #SystemsThinking in #PublicHealth has really altered the way I think about Public Health teaching & learning @CAPHIA1
It has been transformative but also I have felt profoundly alone & unsure of where there was space - apart from here - where I could safely bounce ideas around about how to address the challenges experienced in the classroom. The #LearningDesigner I work has been phenomenal...
Read 18 tweets
Mar 12, 2023
Side note - I want to say don't let this discourage you from hosting @WePublicHealth. Here are my tips:

1. Try & find people to tweet with u during the week. When I've hosted with even one person its made a huge difference, particularly when you've run out of ideas (or get sick)
2. Plan out the content in draft form for the week. Even if this is on a scrap of paper. You might have guessed from my tweeting this week that I had planned Mon, Tues & Thurs. I had guessed it would be easy to tweet about #IWD on Weds but I didn't plan my final 3 days.
3. Starting your tweet Acknowledging the Country on is normal practice for @Croakey but also an important choice to make when you host. Try to include photographs. As you can see thats easy for me to do but if you don't take a million pictures like me just get 7 in preparation.
Read 7 tweets
Mar 12, 2023
Good afternoon from #Naarm

Featured in this tweet and the one following are all pieces of street art from Naarm (some legal, some sneaky) that celebrate First Nations Australians. Perhaps some of you recognise where they are from?
The tram one should be familar to most Victorians and is part of @risingmelbourne 2022 First Peoples art trams rising.melbourne/wormhole/2022-… It is called Blak Love and is by Dr Paola Balla (Wemba Wemba-Gunditjmara)
This afternoon I want to start by saying that both illness & lack of internet coverage down in Somers (on Bunurong Country) threw a real spanner in the works for my @WePublicHealth tweeting 😥

Read 16 tweets
Mar 8, 2023
A very good morning to you all from Naarm! Image
Today I will be tweeting from the ‘Making Connections: Multiculturalism and Interculturalism in Australia’ conference ❤️ as well hoping to find more excellent #IWD2023 🧁 tweets, going back to the #SystemsThinking conversations & generally being random 😂

Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(