Jeremy Gordon Profile picture
Nov 5, 2021 16 tweets 11 min read Read on X
I'm so busy following #nuclearenergy developments at #COP26 I've been too busy to tweet. (I know right?) I'm going to catch up through today with a thread of quotes I've picked up and stories I've filed. 👇
'Evolution' in EU nuclear debate
European industry body Foratom is hopeful that a new conversation around nuclear energy will bring the policy framework needed for it to make a major contribution to 2030 energy targets, a Moody's webinar heard.

world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Evolu…
Grossi 'absolutely confident' of nuclear's inclusion in EU taxonomy
IAEA Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said he is "absolutely confident" that "some arrangement" will be made to accept nuclear energy in the EU's taxonomy of sustainable investment.
world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Gross…
Birol calls for nuclear acceleration
Countries have "re-appreciated" the value of nuclear power, International Energy Agency Executive Director Fatih Birol said at COP26 today. He called for new build in Europe, North America and Asia.
world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Birol…
We consider that #nuclearenergy was, is and will be essential and fundamental for the energy transition. We will add 10 GW in the next 30 years.

~ Bento Costa Lima, Minister of Mines and Energy, Brazil at #COP26
Baseload can no longer be sustained by hydropower. We need other forms of energy to ensure baseload. The right way and probably the cleanest form of energy we have is #nuclearenergy. We are on the path to get us there

~ Matthew Opoku Prempah, Minister of Energy, Ghana at #COP26
We heard from Ghana. Once they have decided [their partner country and technology], all the world's #nuclearenergy operators stand ready to support them

~ Ingemar Engkvist, CEO, World Association of Nuclear Operators at #COP26
The holy grail is clean baseload power and really that is what nuclear provides

If we are going to get to net zero, nuclear absolutely has to be a very important piece of that

We are all-in on #nuclearenergy

~ Jennifer Granholm, Secretary of Energy, US at #COP26
I am 100% convinced that without #nuclearenergy it is impossible to meet these targets, independent of any costs, simply because we need all sources

~ Boris Schucht, CEO, Urenco at #COP26
#Nuclearenergy pays back a lot to society. We should take a bigger view and in terms of thinking about the energy mix and how do you achieve baseload, how do you finance nuclear better

~ Greg Hands, Minister for Business Energy and Clean Growth, UK at #COP26
In 10 years, China added 40 new large reactors - enough to power 100% of the UK. That tells you that this is an enormously wise investment in clean infrastructure that will last probably 100 years

~ Sama Bilbao y Leon, Director General, World Nuclear Association at #COP26
If we really want to keep track of the 1.5℃ goal we need to urgently deploy all the low carbon energy sources that are proven, and we need to do this now

~ Sama Bilbao y Leon, Director General, World Nuclear Association at #COP26
The world is going through difficult times in terms of energy volatility. One unintended positive consequence of this market volatility is that some people have re-appreciated the value of #nuclearenergy

~ Fatih Birol, Executive Director, International Energy Agency at #COP26
If people believe our Net Zero Roadmap, we have to increase the pace of new build of #nuclearenergy plants by a factor of five. We would like to see new nuclear build from Europe, North America and Asia

Fatih Birol, Executive Director, International Energy Agency at #COP26
#Nuclearenergy has an integral role to play if we are serious about the climate challenge

~ Fatih Birol, Executive Director, International Energy Agency at #COP26
The conclusions, the scientific facts are clear: #nuclearenergy is part of the solution

The voice of nuclear had to be heard, is being heard and will be heard, I am sure

~ Rafael Mariano Grossi, Director General, International Atomic Energy Agency at #COP26

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jeremy Gordon

Jeremy Gordon Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @jrmygrdn

Mar 10, 2023
The headline: Wind and solar were the EU’s top electricity source in 2022 for first time ever

The reality: Wind and solar were the the EU's 4th and 6th biggest sources of electricity, respectively, in 2022
The data:

Nuclear: 21.93%
Gas: 19.17%
Coal: 14.55%
Wind: 13.42%
Hydro: 12.60%
Solar: 7.29%
Bioenergy: 5.88%
Other fossil: 3.55%
Other renewable: 0.24%

Source: EmberClimate itself
Being anti-nuclear is so passé now that nobody admits it. Now it's a shell game of groupings. Emberclimate combine nuclear and hydro to avoid having to admit nuclear is actually the biggest. Carbon Brief split them apart again so 'wind+solar' can 'beat' more individual sources.🚮
Read 4 tweets
Aug 8, 2022
The situation at #Ukraine's #Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant has gotten more volatile in recent days, with both sides in the conflict pushing the envelope of what they do at the site and even some shelling. I'm catching up, but here's what I know about it:
Since its occupation on 3 March the site has been in a very uneasy mode of operation with Russian forces controlling the site while Ukrainian technicians conduct operation under constant close scrutiny. It wasn't pretty but it was stable.
Recently Russia began stationing weapons around the site. Forces see it as a safe place from which to fire across the Dnipro River at Nikopol, while Ukrainians won't dare fire back. However, Ukraine has used small drones for targeted strikes on military kit on the plant grounds.
Read 14 tweets
Jun 30, 2022
In March, Ukraine's electricity grid was synchonised with the main European grid, ENSTSO-E, so that other countries could help Ukraine keep the lights on during the war.

Electricity will flow from today, but it will go THE OTHER WAY with Ukraine alleviating shortages in the EU.
Ukrainian energy minister Herman Halushchenko said exports would start at 100 MW as ENTSO-E assesses the grid stability impact of that. But Ukraine could supply 1690 MW and, with technical upgrades, as much as 5000 MW. Herman Halushchenko sitting at a desk with files
It should a big help for other European countries to have more supply. And it should work well because timezones mean Ukraine's peak domestic demand will be 1-2 hours different to other countries'. It's also fairly clean, being about half from nuclear plants. A view of South Ukraine nuclear power plant with office buil
Read 4 tweets
Apr 6, 2022
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...

Some evidence that Russians were indeed dumb enough to dig trenches near #Chernobyl.
See here some previous tweets on why I (and others) think Acute Radiation Syndrome is unlikely, but that doing this is definitely 'not good' and could have health effects in the long term.
Breathing and ingesting dust, smoke, or food from the area stands to raise their statistical lifetime chance of cancer.

Probably no immediate effects, however, because ARS needs a huge radiation shower in one hit, which is unlikely 36y after the accident.
Read 4 tweets
Mar 31, 2022
Some collected thoughts on what's going on with Russian troops in the #Chernobyl Exclusion Zone and whether they have gotten themselves sick 🧵

(Spoiler: No)
Earlier today the idea that Russian troops around #Chernobyl had developed Acute Radiation Sickness was going viral. I did this thread to explain why that struck me as highly unlikely.
Now, looking into the story more, I find there's no real substance to it. Here's why:
Read 14 tweets
Mar 31, 2022
There have been a lot of questions about nuclear issues in Ukraine since the war began. Here's a thread of my explanations if anyone wants to catch up.

[These are offered as what I put out at the time. I don't promise they are 100% complete or up to date.]
3 March
A run-down of nuclear power plant construction and essential safety systems in the context of troops approaching Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant
3 March
In response to worries about the vulnerability of used nuclear fuel, some general info – what is it, how is it stored?
Read 12 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(