Samson Mow Profile picture
Aug 19, 2022 15 tweets 6 min read Read on X
#Ethereum’s problems are caused by constantly optimizing for tokenomics over decentralization, security, and resilience. It looks like the Merge and POS will lead to complete regulatory capture by centralized exchanges & staking platforms, and there’s no way out for them. 🧵👇
So how did they get here? Deciding on a 32 ETH requirement to stake as part of the protocol (in order to lockup supply and maximize tokenomics). That pretty much made POS as centralized as possible, and plus they don’t have the #Bitcoin culture of not your keys, not your coins.
So now you have 66% of validators that need to adhere to OFAC regulations. And the ETH they have deposited to stake can’t be withdrawn because the withdraw functionality wasn’t coded - because tokenomics. 📈
But wait! Ethereans can just #UASF like those Bitcoin Maxi’s right? Like totally show Coinbase who’s the boss!
No. First, Ethereans don’t run their own nodes and second, most services depend on Infura, but that’s not the main problem.
I’ll preface this next part and state that arresting developers for writing code is horrible and sets a terrible precedent. That said…
To #UASF you need software to run. Now all Ethereum forks have cool city names like Istanbul, London, Berlin, etc. Let’s call this hypothetical Ethereum UASF fork “Pyongyang.” Pyongyang would prevent Coinbase and the 66% majority from censoring OFAC sanctioned transactions.
Another way of saying “prevent the censoring of OFAC sanctioned transactions” could be “helping evade sanctions.” Maybe we forgot about Virgil. So anyways, who is going to code Pyongyang up? The Tornado Cash guy was arrested so the Pyongyang devs will likely be arrested too.
Who’s going to run Pyongyang? The guys signaling with “X 🏴”? Are they going to link their Pyongyang node to their .eth account too? Coinbase, Kraken, Bitcoin Suisse, and the others making up the 66% majority are definitely not running Pyongyang.
Alright so an Ethereum #UASF is off the table.

“But we can just slash Coinbase and others if they dare comply!”
I may be a Pathetic Bitcoin Maxi™ but I did spend 10 minutes researching and found there is no mechanic to slash Coinbase. There is no code to detect and punish anyone for censoring transactions. The Slashing mechanic only works to punish downtime or double-signing.
So we’re again back to needing the Pyongyang fork which no one will code up or run. Even if Pyongyang could exist, there’s no way for users to withdraw ETH. And even if they could withdraw, it doesn’t matter because only Infura matters.
Assuming all the stars magically aligned and there was a way for Ethereum users to slash Coinbase etc, what does that mean? It means the minority stakeholders would have a mechanism to arbitrarily punish the majority. That’s not going to work in the long run.
And this is why we call #Ethereum a #shitcoin. It’s an exercise in futility, riddled with atrocious design choices, and engineered for the sole purpose of pumping the token.
Have a nice day. 🦄

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Samson Mow

Samson Mow Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Excellion

Jan 7
This is a really good post from @benthecarman about Lightning. It's good to talk openly about the problems with LN, but it's not just channel liquidity. For new users, Lightning is barely usable.

Ultimately, Lightning may just become an interop gateway.

stacker.news/items/379225
The main problem with Lightning is that it was designed to interact with the mainchain under the assumption that fees would be "cheap" ish (potentially with bigger blocks down the road). But it breaks down when fees are not cheap, as Ben points out here:

"Fundamentally, all current lightning channels could become entirely useless if on-chain fees went high enough because a single payment would require too many reserves."

And the problem is that fees are not going to get cheaper. Bitcoin tx fees are only going to get more expansive both in BTC and dollar terms. Imagine fees at $1M #Bitcoin.
I was helping an AQUA user figure out some where some fees went when they were sending funds from WoS to us, and took the time to evaluate a few more wallets.

Assuming you want to send some funds to someone over LN - a new user specifically, you'll need to get them to install a wallet. How is the first time UX? Not great. And before I get into it, I love all these wallets, the guys that build them.

Read 11 tweets
Dec 19, 2023
The #Bitcoin ETF is the MEMO.

Most people don’t understand how significant the ETFs are in terms of marketing and branding. They will bring a flood of capital, but equally important is the message or memo that’s being sent out. 🧵👇

Take note that there are 12 ETFs being filed by asset managers.

First, they are in it for $, not necessarily because they believe in #Bitcoin (so don’t simp for them). To get $ they need AUM. So everyone wants to be #1. This is a competition.
Second, they aren’t going to passively sit there and hope to win. No. They’ll be fighting for AUM and customers. How do companies fight? They advertise and market. Case in point: Bitwise ad.

This battle for the #Bitcoin orange glow is going to heat up like you can’t imagine.
Read 9 tweets
Oct 5, 2022
We’re all familiar with the term military-industrial complex. Now it’s time to popularize the term political-financial complex.

Political-financial complexes around the world are directly responsible for all of the ruin we see today. Only #Bitcoin can fix it.
Just as the military-industrial complex will seek endless war, the political-financial complex will seek endless spending. Both lead to human misery in their own way.
The political-financial complex exists because of the fiat monetary system and because the separation of money and state is not yet complete. At some point in history there may have been checks and balances, but it’s apparent today that there are none.
Read 5 tweets
Oct 4, 2022
JUST IN: Vatican calls on the U.S. Federal Reserve and other central banks to halt interest rate increases in the name of all that is holy.
I just made this up but you know Pope Francis is thinking it.
Pope Francis to Powell: "If my Credit Suisse stock goes to zero, you're looking at eternal damnation."
Read 4 tweets
Mar 1, 2022
Today is my last day with @Blockstream. It's been a grand adventure working with @adam3us for the last 5 years and together we've accomplished a great deal from sidechains, to mining, to satellites. So what’s next? I plan to focus on nation-state #Bitcoin adoption! 🍊💊🌎
Blockstream will continue to be a critical part of #Bitcoin infrastructure development & Layer 2 scaling tech like @Liquid_BTC & Lightning. I’m grateful to have had a hand in bringing so many products/services to market, and though I’m leaving, I’ll still be a #BlockstreamSpy. 🕵🏻‍♂️
I’ll still continue to support and advocate for @Liquid_BTC as I believe it has an important role to play in the reformation of the legacy financial system. Maybe some of you don’t know, but I joined Liquid while COO of the BTCChina exchange - long before I was at Blockstream. 🌊
Read 6 tweets
Aug 1, 2019
The #UASF was a defining event of #Bitcoin. 2 years later we may forget what the movement looked like early on. It was never a sure thing. Many people were confused & felt powerless in the face of what looked like massive support for a forced protocol change (NYA/#SegWit2x).
In fact many thought that #Bitcoin was over as we knew it. How could anyone (or any group) go up against such an overwhelming amount of hashrate and corporate backing? It looked like an impossible battle. But Bitcoin and Bitcoiners exist for impossible battles. #RememberTheUASF
All revolutionary movements start small. People started to organize & coordinate. Code was written. Memes were made. Hats were manufactured. Momentum started to build. Eventually the #UASF won the day. It was never a sure thing but we were 100% committed and that’s what mattered.
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(