Benjamin Ryan Profile picture
Feb 23, 2023 41 tweets 33 min read Read on X
A bombshell article by @writingblock challenges claims by activists that the science supporting the treatment of gender dysphoria in minors is "settled" and that the use of puberty blockers and hormones in transgender kids is "evidence based." 🧵⬇️
press.psprings.co.uk/bmj/february/t… Image
Many argue that giving puberty blockers and hormones to trans minors is uncontroversial & backed by high-quality science. Block's reporting disputes this. Swedish health authorities, for example, say the risks "currently outweigh the possible benefits". 2/
@glaad, in its recent protest before the @nytimes building, echoed a common refrain: that "the science is settled" regarding giving puberty blockers and hormones to trans-identifying minors. @writingblock's peer-reviewed reporting challenges this claim. 3/ press.psprings.co.uk/bmj/february/t… Image
Trans kids has been a minefield topic, w/ activists like @Esqueer_ & lefty pundits like @RottenInDenmark battling heterodox writers @jessesingal @bariweiss @sullydish @LeorSapir & @AbigailShrier & w/ @MattWalshBlog throwing bombs. @JoyceCarolOates has lent her support to kids. 4/ ImageImageImageImage
The prescription of hormones to trans-identifying minors is often framed as a choice of life on meds vs death by suicide. But researchers have not actually shown that hormonal treatment for gender dysphoria impacts death by suicide. 5/
@HRC said in a press release today that "ALL gender-affirming care is age appropriate and medically necessary." But in the UK, health experts found there's "scarce & inconclusive evidence to support clinical decision-making" for kids with dysphoria. 6/
Mark Helfand of Oregon Health & Science University criticized @wpath's recommendations for treating #transgender minors, including a lack of grading system to assess the quality of scientific evidence backing the guidelines. #trans 7/
At an October meeting of the AAP, @writingblock reports, @DrScottHadland of Harvard Med said, "Ten thousand pediatricians stand in solidarity for trans and gender diverse kids & their families to receive evidence-based, lifesaving, individualized care." 8/
Gordon Guyatt (@GuyattGH) of McMaster University found "serious problems" with the Endocrine Society's guidelines for treating #trans kids, such as making strong recommendations based on weak evidence--meaning they should not be called "evidence based". 9/
press.psprings.co.uk/bmj/february/t… ImageImage
In contrast to @DrScottHadland, @GuyattGH said, "When there's been a rigorous systematic review of the evidence" about treating #trans kids "and the bottom line is 'we don't know,' anybody who then claims they *do* know is not being evidence based." 10/
While myriad medical organizations in the US back prescribing puberty blockers & hormones to trans-identifying minors, standards abroad are very different. Sweden did systematic reviews in '15 and '22, found evidence was "insufficient and inconclusive."11/
The Endocrine Society (@TheEndoSociety) commissioned 2 systematic reviews for its clinical practice guideline for treating #trans adolescents with sex steroids and found the quality of the evidence regarding health risks was "low" or "very low". 12/ press.psprings.co.uk/bmj/february/t… Image
In sum, @writingblock's reporting suggests that @wpath and @TheEndoSociety's guidelines for treating #trans adolescents are not truly "evidence based", nor uncontroversial, nor do they balance the known and potential risks v benefits of such treatment. 13/ press.psprings.co.uk/bmj/february/t… Image
@MattWalshBlog, who doesn't so much debate the science behind care for trans minors as douse the field with gasoline & set it on fire, has made the topic so combustible in Tennessee, he teed up the politicization of #HIV prevention there, I reported:
14/ nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-ou…
@writingblock reviews the history of gender medicine in @bmj_latest. Note that her article was peer reviewed.
15/
@writingblock's assessment of the evidence backing standards of care for treating gender dysphoria in #trans minors comes a week after activists (eg: @glaad) and writers have pressured @nytimes to refrain from the type of reporting she has done. 16/ glaad.org/new-york-times…
Other articles finding a lack of high-quality science backing the treatment of trans minors have been published by @nytimes & Reuters, by @emilybazelon @mega2e @chadterhune @RobinRespaut @michelleconlin. 17/
nytimes.com/2022/06/15/mag…
nytimes.com/2022/11/14/hea…
reuters.com/investigates/s…
Scores of @nytimes writers have pushed back against the charge by the paper's guild that its reporting on trans issues caused a hostile work environment, including @GiniaNYT @mattfleg @tripgabriel @apoorva_nyc @powellnyt @jimrutenberg @charlie_savage. 19/
@PressSec of @POTUS weighs in on the onslaught of bills introduced to statehouses this year that target #LGBTQ people:
20/
@jack_turban, MD, who treats trans kids, says there’s a lot of misinformation going around:
21/
@Esqueer_ responds to this thread: Image
The emailed responses to this thread are starting to come in. This is new: now I'm a Nazi and have autism to boot. Image
More charming exchanges with the readers of this tweet thread. Have a good one, @zunetopia. Image
Kindly do not come to this thread disrespectfully. I will not tolerate malicious statements toward anyone and the misgendering of transgender people.
Also, for anyone coming to this thread who thinks they know who I am, what I think or believe or what I'm about, do take note that I do not share my personal opinions about many issues on Twitter. I invite you to read my reporting on LGBTQ issues: benryan.net/lgbtq.html
@HRC will fly an airplane banner down the Hudson River protesting @nytimes coverage of #transgender issues today: Image
@Esqueer_ claims @writingblock can’t count, but the figure she cited in her BMJ article is the total number of minors receiving hormones and puberty blockers during that period, whereas the chart refers only to puberty blockers. Image
On the political front: cbsnews.com/news/texas-bil…
I get a lot of venomous emails, but I’d say this one regarding my tweet thread about the strength of the science behind the treatment of gender dysphoria in minors is one of the most heinous. Sadly for this person’s hopes, I was cured of cancer and have a 5% recurrence chance. Image
Also: it sucks for that person, but no one dies of testicular cancer anymore.
@meetzow wants me to die because I am engaging in science reporting and have illuminated the weakness of the science backing the treatment of gender dysphoria in minors.
Also, gay people on Twitter get hit with a lot of tweets like this in the Musk era: @UIgliori Image
People tweet this to suggest that reduced stigma is the sole reason for the apparent tripling in trans identification between older adults & youths. But I think we can agree that gender identity is far more complex and driven by more complex factors than left vs right-handedness. Image
@CISCHASER hopes I die of the cancer I had: Image
If only this @ryanlcooper @TheProspect podcast had brought on academic experts to discuss youth gender care science. Instead, @RottenInDenmark provides a misleading overview that, for example, fails to note Finland & Sweden disagree with the US on this. 1/
prospect.org/podcasts/02-20…
@RyanCooper claims that what @jessesingal says about youth gender care science "makes no sense scientifically." Except Singal knows the science better than just about anyone, as he assiduously demonstrates. And his coverage is way more nuanced than Hobbes claims. 2/
My favorite is @ryanlcooper saying the best thing for science journos to do is: "You go into the studies to talk to the scientists, you don't talk to individual people, who may and probably do have an ax to grind," as he interviews two individual non-scientists about science. 3/
Hobbes himself is extraordinarily ideological, meanwhile. 4/

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Benjamin Ryan

Benjamin Ryan Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @benryanwriter

Aug 24
How Harvard Teed Up the False Claim That the 'Vast Majority of Minors Getting Gender-Affirming Surgeries Are C-s Kids'
🧵: I report: An opaquely written @Harvard press release prompted false reporting that gynecomastia surgeries for boys are vastly more common than gender-affirming surgeries for trans kids.Image
How Harvard Teed Up the False Claim That the 'Vast Majority of Minors Getting Gender-Affirming Surgeries Are C-s Kids'
benryan.substack.com/p/how-harvard-…Image
This article in @Them is just flat-out wrong. them.us/story/gender-a…
Read 20 tweets
Aug 23
GIDS Dissident, Dr. @MaxDavie, takes down latest post criticizing Dr. Hilary Cass, vanishes from Twitter
🧵: After attacking Dr. Hilary Cass in a paper posted in a Google doc, claiming she recommended @AbigailShrier's Irreversible Damage, then backpedaling the claim, then writing a blog post once again criticizing the Cass Review author, claiming she was dead set on a randomized controlled trial of puberty blockers for pediatric gender dysphoria that he saw as unethical, Dr. Max Davie has stripped his blog site of that posting and vanished from X.

Along the way, he accused me of journalistic malpractice after he emailed me accusations about one of his critics and I published them. He said he told me the information in confidence, but as I told him, he never said anything about it being off the record.Image
The background:
Cass Review Author Denounces As 'Baseless' And 'Cynical' Dissidents' Claim That She Touted Abigail Shrier's Scathing Polemic On Trans Kids
benryan.substack.com/p/cass-review-…Image
Here is the archive of @MaxDavie’s since deleted blog criticizing Hilary Cass. archive.is/kKY0M
Read 5 tweets
Aug 20
'Rubbish'—Finland's Top Pediatric Gender Psychiatrist Derides Exposé Claiming Her Clinic Provided Shoddy, Cruel Care
🧵The prime target of Evan Urquhart's scathing reporting about Finland's pediatric gender clinics characterizes his article as "intentional defamation."Image
'Rubbish'—Finland's Top Pediatric Gender Psychiatrist Derides Exposé Claiming Her Clinic Provided Shoddy, Cruel Care
benryan.substack.com/p/rubbishfinla…Image
On July 30, American journalist Evan Urquhart published on his independent news site, @AssignedMedia, a scathing account of a handful of young Finnish transgender people who had sought care for gender dysphoria through the nation’s gender-clinic system. Cowritten with the Finnish writer Esa Kalliomäki, the article boldly asserted: “Former patients say rude staff, uncomfortable questions about masturbation, years of assessment with no therapeutic support, and abrupt dismissals without any treatment made the experience a living hell.” benryan.substack.com/p/rubbishfinla…Image
Read 14 tweets
Aug 18
Could the new mpox threat cause significant harm in the U.S.?
🧵: I spoke for @NBCNews with experts about how key differences between central Africa and the U.S. and how they predict this might make mpox behave differently in the U.S. ⬇️Image
Could the new mpox threat cause significant harm in the U.S.?
🧵An apparently more dangerous strain of mpox circulating rapidly in a number of countries, with the first reported case outside of Africa reported this week in Sweden, I report for @NBCNews.
nbcnews.com/health/health-…
As concerns mount about a type of mpox spreading across Africa that’s believed to cause more serious illness, infectious disease experts expressed cautious optimism that this branch of the virus would not spread as broadly in the U.S. or cause health impacts as severe. Image
Read 17 tweets
Aug 18
I just interviewed top experts about mpox. There are multiple reasons why they’re cautiously optimistic that it won’t spread as widely or have as severe of an impact in the U.S. as in Africa. They stressed mpox is not spreading casually there. None recommended doing this to kids: Image
Here’s one thing that is important for mpox risk reduction at this time: Men with multiple sex partners should get both doses of the Jynneos mpox vaccine.
The experts I talked to said that clade 1 of mpox is spreading in Africa
▶️Through sex, both among female sec workers and some gay men
▶️From animal spill overs in rural areas
▶️Through very close household contact.
Read 5 tweets
Aug 17
I cannot stress more strongly that one should not take cues about mpox from @TRyanGregory. The "OK, Doomer" newsletter by @JessicaLexicus he's sharing here, which is crafted to stoke fear and panic about mpox, is hosed down with errors, which I'll point out in this thread.🧵⬇️Image
The "OK, Doomer" writer @JessicaLexicus omits the fact that this Lancet paper she referenced said: “Based on the available evidence, the likelihood of human-to-human MPXV respiratory transmission appears to be low.”

okdoomer.io/why-you-dont-n…
thelancet.com/journals/lanmi…
This is incorrect, @JessicaLexicus. Much of the spread of clade 1 has been in gay men and sex workers in DRC. medrxiv.org/content/10.110…
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(