Tuomas Malinen Profile picture
Mar 1, 2023 8 tweets 4 min read Read on X
During the past week, I and we conducted an in-depth analysis of the U.S. #economy . The results were not encouraging.

First, I discovered that the banking sector was more fragile than previously thought.
🧵1/8
mtmalinen.substack.com/p/the-us-econo…
It also seemed that the U.S. credit markets were in the grips of a (fallacious) complacency, shown on the proportionally milder reaction of the "junk" bonds on the current tightening cycle.

But, can the #Fed support the markets in the current situation? We're not so sure.
2/ Image
The good news was that the "zombie-corporation" problem seemed to be less severe than previously thought.

However, we also know that the ultra-easy monetary policies has created weak highly indebted firms.
3/ Image
Retail sales of the U.S. economy have held up, somewhat, albeit they fell heavily after the Russo-Ukrainian war started, showing how international shocks can affect also the U.S. economy.

However, this had been due to excess savings accumulated during the Covid -era.
4/ Image
Excess savings are currently depleting rapidly with all but collapsed personal saving rate. Most importantly, lending standards of banks are tightening rapidly and they now correspond levels seen during H1 2008.

This implies that the U.S. economy can face a 'sudden stop'.
5/ Image
Considering the above, it's no surprise that consumer sentiment is in deeply recessionary levels.
6/ Image
And, while the QT of the #FederalReserve keeps manipulating the yield curves, it should be noted that both 10y/3mo and 10y/2y spreads are currently heavily inverted.

The #recession signal of the yield curve is thus strong.
7/ Image
Alas, we conclude in our recent Special Issue that, while the U.S. #recession has been postponed, it's still very much on the cards.

Moreover, the issues in the banking sector could easily turn it into a 'hard landing'.
/End
gnseconomics.substack.com/p/deprcon-outl…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Tuomas Malinen

Tuomas Malinen Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @mtmalinen

Jul 4
I was the economist behind my former friend, current Minister of Foreign Affairs @elinavaltonen for five years. Our pact was to bring back the market economy to Finland and save us from the Federal EU.

We parted ways after she took part on a Bilderberg meeting.
🧵1/12
I learned about her participation only after the 2019 meeting. During that summer she also met with @EmmanuelMacron and something changed. The change was gradual, but little by little her tone changed to support the current political order, which we agreed to object in 2015. 2/
The breakup came during the Corona spring of 2020, when she started to support the Recovery Fund of the EU. This was against everything we had agreed, and I distanced myself from her team. It was devastating as I really liked her as a person and rooted for her.
3/
Read 12 tweets
Jun 20
In my latest, I deal with the U.S. private sector recession, which has not manifested to GDP-figures, yet, because of the gargantuan fiscal stimulus by the @POTUS administration.

A short thread on why the U.S. in a recession already (link to newsletter article in bio).
🧵1/8
Commercial and industrial (C&I) loans has been one of the most trustworthy recession indicators since late 1940s. It's currently signaling that the U.S. corporate sector has entered a recession.

Yet, there's more.
2/ Image
The demand for C&I loans continues to hover deep in recession territory. This is another metric that has never been in such depths without an U.S. recession.
@DiMartinoBooth
3/ Image
Read 8 tweets
Jun 16
I just hope everyone would understand the brutal automation of war. When the gears of war start turning, they are very hard to stop. This is why World War I flared up in just a week, which we may shortly repeat.

A WWI history thread.
🧵1/17
The road to WWI is actually rather long and cumbersome.

Its main foundation was laid in 1879, when the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the German Empire (the “Second Reich”) formed a military alliance. Italy joined in 1882, and the pact was named as the Triple Alliance.
2/
In 1894 a similar pact was agreed between France and Russia.

Tensions between European states had run high for several year before the onset of the war on the 28th July 1914, when the Austro-Hungarian empire declared war to Serbia.
3/
Read 17 tweets
Jun 13
Some history lessons for the "no peace on Russia's terms" people.

Finland and Russia (Soviet Union) fought two wars between 1939 and 1944, where Finland eventually lost 12% of her landmass. First was an aggression by the Russian side and the second from Finland.
🧵1/12
The aggression of Russia in the fall 1939 was based on the secret amendment of Molotov-Ribbentrop pact, where Finland was placed on the "sphere of influence" of Russia. Russian leadership staged a 'false flag' attack, of Finland to Russia, in the village of Mainila.
2/
Four days later, on 30 November 1939, Russia attacked Finland with an overwhelming force (in some parts of the front the ratio was 10:1 for Russia).

Finland kept her independence in the "Miracle of Winter War", but lost 11% of her territory. War ended on 12 March 1940. 3/
Read 13 tweets
May 26
Dear Laura,
I thought I write few lines to you publicly, as I know you occasionally "spy" on me here. 😉😁

I want U to know that I hold no grudges. Connections break (again) and mistakes (even larger ones) happen to us all 🙋. Don't worry about them. Just learn, and heal.
🧵1/6
You've had such a gruelling period of year and a three months, since your rape by the "respected Danish guy". 😡🤮

I truly believe that the conspirators have tried to destroy you, and us, because of what we could achieve together. I've seen your potential, and it's great. 🤩
/2
I've been trying to help and protect you all this time.

Like I told you a year ago, I would hope you would go public with your rape. They rule by fear and the only way to get rid of that, in you, is by going against it (them). I'd help and support you each step of the way.
3/
Read 6 tweets
Jun 25, 2023
So, I've now used most of the day to read the news, blogs and rumors on #WagnerCoup . Here's my five cents.

The attempt was real supported, probably, by West-leaning Olicarchs. West at least knew that something is about to go down, and CIA, etc., may have played a role. 1/6
In Rostov, it became clear to #Prigozhin, and probably to Putin also, that the coup will be unsuccessful. Many Wagner troops were lured into the attempt by false premises (tends to happen in coups) and they turned back.

Local governors and people also sided with Putin.
2/
At this point there was no point of further bloodshed, and thus no need for a strong response.

As a last ditch effort, and to gain a bargaining chip, Prigozhin sent a small group to a speedy march to Moscow, while negotiations to de-escalate were commenced through Lukashenka. 3/
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(