How to start a layers farm. The do's and don'ts. The economics of egg production, feed formulation and how to market your egg at a premium price.
Kindly follow back and RT.
However,their productivity depends on good management.
They are the best laying birds in town at the moment.
1. You need a secured land for building a pen house.
2. You need a poultry pen house, either deep litters or cage house depends on your financial capacity. I do advise you in at some money in battery cages for good management purpose.
4. You need to know how to make good feed for the birds at a very reasonable and efficient cost. This is very important also.
Building and Caging
1. You will need a 24ft by 80ft long pen house to house a 2000 birds capacity cage.
This will cost you about 1.5 million Naira to erect if we'll planned.
2.A 2000 battery cage capacity. This is 21 units.Each cost #60k
You can also rent/lease these infrastructures if you can't afford to invest. As a matter of fact,I do advise starters to do so
PULLET DOC =#210 (current price)
For 2000 birds =#420000
1.A pullet will consume 1.5kg of starter for 8 weeks and 5kg of growers mash to lay.
That's 3000kg of starter feed @#125/kg =#375000
2. 10000kg of grower mash @#102/kg =#1020000
Vaccine cost at #25/bird=#50000
Debeaking cost at #10/bird=#20000
Vaccination cost #10/bird=#20000
Labor cost at #15000/month for 6 months=#90000
Total cost of d above=#2045000
Kindly note that this analysis is subject to change
I must also say that I don't do ready made feeds.I compound my feeds and I get optimal results. My birds also drops egg by 17th or 18th week and I do attain 90%-93% egg production by 26th to 28th weeks.
You can play around the cost and you can make more money.
At an average of 80% laying, you should have 53 crates per day.
Daily sales=#42400 (#800/crate)
2000 birds will consume 240kg of layers mash @#105/kg
Let me also state clearly that getting an average of 80% laying is premise on the management and feed given to the birds. Its GIGO