Donnacha Ó Beacháin Profile picture
Apr 18, 2021 13 tweets 10 min read Read on X
This is a remarkable attempt to undermine academic freedom in #Ireland and on the flimsiest of pretexts

Attempts by emissaries of #Georgia and #Ukraine to dictate how we teach/research @DCU have been and will continually to be firmly rebuffed

rte.ie/radio1/this-we…
In response to @rtenews the Ukrainian embassy dismiss suggestions they tried to attack academic freedom as "emotional" and "groundless"

So let me post some extracts from the letter sent to DCU and Department of Foreign Affairs

Judge for yourself

rte.ie/news/ireland/2… Image
The individual described as a "well-known Russian propagandist" is Prof Sergey Markedonov, probably the leading authority in Russia on conflicts in the Caucasus

A Visiting Fellow at @CSIS in Washington DC for several years I was delighted Prof Markedonov accepted my invitation Image
The very next week we had a distinguished guest from Ukraine, Prof Hanna Shelest

We then had guests from other post-Soviet states

The module is called "Russia and the Former Soviet Space" but if the GE/UKR diplomats had their way the only view we wouldn't get is from Russia Image
No country has been afforded more access to the module than #Georgia.

I've invited several guest professors from #Georgia, including former diplomats

I've also extended invitations to current Georgian Ambassador who penned the letter to DCU and DFA Image
#Georgian professors and former diplomats in the presence of the current ambassador (seated front row) have been afforded privileged access to students

Yet the letter penned by the same Ambassador presents a picture of students being indoctrinated on a diet of Kremlin propaganda Image
As for #Ukraine I organised largest event in Ireland devoted to the conflict

Speakers included former President of Poland (1995-2005) Aleksander Kwaśniewski (also then EU envoy to Ukraine) and Andrey Shevchenko (now Ukraine's Ambassador to Canada).

See dcu.ie/news/news/2015… Image
The event was opened by the then Ambassador of #Ukraine to #Ireland, Sergii Reva.

The conference is still praised on the Ukraine embassy website (the then Ambassador thanks me personally in the first line of his speech)

ireland.mfa.gov.ua/en/news/3469-v…
https://t.co/KusLA99D1R Image
There's more! At our @IICRR conference opened by the #Ukraine Ambassador, the speaker from #Russia was ...

the very same Prof Markedonov whose lecture this semester prompted embassys intervention

And yet our event was praised by Ukrainian Ministry for Foreign Affairs website ImageImage
It gets better. The current #Georgian Ambassador who penned the letter to DCU and DFA attended this conference and engaged with Prof Markedonov

Rather than accusing me/DCU of spreading #Russian propaganda by hosting Makedonov, Ambassador lavishly praised the conference Image
Our conference received widespread coverage. My own position on the conflict in #Ukraine was articulated clearly ... does this sound like a Kremlin apologist?
independent.ie/videos/irish-n…
In every international project I've organised/ participated there has been #Georgian and/or #Ukrainian partners/beneficiaries.

I've hosted many GEO and UKR professors hosted via Erasmus+.

I worked in education reform in #Georgia for years and continue to develop new links. Image
Last year I organised an event in DCU to provide a platform for the #Georgian ambassador and #Ukrainian chargé d'affaires to speak to 70 students (postponed due to COVID)

This kind of cooperation was always acknowledged.

What caused that to change I'll never understand. Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Donnacha Ó Beacháin

Donnacha Ó Beacháin Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(