Charles Gaba ✡️ Profile picture
May 17, 2021 22 tweets 13 min read Read on X
📣🎉 REMINDER: #ACA enrollment is BACK and this time it's a #BFD! Here's 10 important things to remember when you #GetCovered:
acasignups.net/21/05/07/aca-e…
1. MILLIONS WHO DIDN'T QUALIFY FOR FINANCIAL HELP BEFORE DO NOW...AND IT COULD SAVE YOU *THOUSANDS* OF DOLLARS!!

(and those who already qualified are now eligible for *more* help!)
This table shows the financial help sliding scale under the #ACA (which cuts off help for middle-class enrollees)...and under the #AmRescuePlan, which covers 100% of the premiums for millions of people & caps them at no more than 8.5% EVEN FOR MIDDLE-CLASS AMERICANS: Image
2. THE ENHANCED/EXPANDED SUBSIDIES ARE AVAILABLE IN MOST STATES ALREADY, BUT SOME MAY TAKE LONGER.
HC.gov & most state ACA exchanges have already gone live w/the #ARP-enhanced subsidies...but residents of some states may have to wait a bit.

ALL eligible enrollees WILL receive the extra subsidies eventually; at worst, they'll show up at tax time next spring: Image
3. DON'T MISS THE NEW DEADLINE!

Residents of most states have until August 15th, but the deadline is sooner in some states. If you miss the deadline, most people won't be able to #GetCovered until next year (with some exceptions)!
Here's the latest 2021 Special Enrollment Period deadlines in every state +DC, as well as who's eligible to take advantage of it. In most states it's open to EVERY documented U.S. resident; in a few states it's only for those currently uninsured. Image
4. AVOID JUNK PLANS! MAKE SURE YOU'RE ENROLLING IN AN #ACA-COMPLIANT PLAN, THRU AN ACA-APPROVED EXCHANGE WEBSITE!

Junk plans have always been a bad idea unless you had no other choice...and thanks to the #AmRescuePlan, NO ONE HAS TO! *EVERYONE* can afford an #ACA plan now!
Here's a table of the *official* #ACA exchange website for all 50 states + DC. Note that there are 3rd-party sites authorized to sell ACA plans as well (like HealthSherpa), but some of these also sell non-compliant plans. Stick to sites which *only* sell on-exchange #ACA plans! Image
5. IN SOME STATES YOU STILL HAVE TO PAY A FINANCIAL PENALTY IF YOU *DON'T* #GETCOVERED!

The federal mandate may be gone, but CA, DC, MA, NJ and RI have their own penalty for residents who don't have #ACA-compliant healthcare coverage (unless you qualify for an exemption).
Here's a table summarizing the annual mandate penalty in each of these states for NOT having #ACA-compliant healthcare coverage (unless you qualify for an affordability or other exemption, which many people do): Image
6. MILLIONS OF PEOPLE ARE NOW ELIGIBLE FOR *FREE PLATINUM PLANS* (LABELED AS SILVER PLANS)!

That's right: If you earn less than 200% FPL (~$25,5K/yr if you're single; ~$52K for a family of four), CHOOSE A SILVER PLAN...IT'S ACTUALLY PLATINUM IN DISGUISE!
Due to how #ACA subsidies work & w/the extra help of the #ARP, if you earn < 150% FPL you can get a *free* Silver plan w/*extra* CSR savings that effectively turn it into PLATINUM...& if you earn 150 - 200% FPL, it'll cost no more than 2% of your income: acasignups.net/21/05/06/milli…
7. MANY PEOPLE WHO EARN *MORE* THAN 200% FPL ARE ELIGIBLE FOR FREE *GOLD* PLANS!
It's an ABSURDLY stupid story, but the bottom line is that thanks to a long series of events, many people who earn *more* than 200% FPL will find Gold plans with premiums lower than Silver...or even for $0/month: acasignups.net/21/05/17/updat…
8. IN MOST STATES, CURRENT #ACA ENROLLEES ARE BEING ALLOWED TO *SWITCH PLANS* MID-YEAR IF THEY WANT TO!
Normally, can't switch healthcare plans mid-year unless you have a Qualifying Life Event...but during the 2021 Special Enrollment Period, *most* states are letting you do so.

In fact, some carriers are even giving credit towards deductibles/etc! acasignups.net/21/05/17/calif…
9. IF YOU'RE ON UNEMPLOYMENT IN 2021, YOU'RE ELIGIBLE FOR A $0-PREMIUM "SECRET PLATINUM" PLAN...EVEN IN "MEDICAID GAP" STATES!
Via the #AmRescuePlan, anyone on unemployment in 2021 counts as earning 133% FPL...which means many in the #MedicaidGap will qualify for a $0-premium, low-deductible #ACA plan! ("High-CSR Silver").

NOTE: This won't be available in most states until July. acasignups.net/21/05/17/arp-m…
10. (sigh) I hate to harsh my own buzz by ending this thread on a down note, but I do have to remind everyone that yes, it's still possible that the SCOTUS could strike down the entire #ACA due to a jaw-droppingly stupid lawsuit.

The decision is expected...soon.
Congress could still theoretically #MootTheSuit, but it look like they've decided to wait for the ruling itself. If #SCOTUS upholds the #ACA, great. If it strikes the law down...well, there's still chance they'll issue a simple legislative fix.

I hope.
acasignups.net/21/05/17/updat…
Anyway, if you find my work useful and want to support it, you can do so here, thanks! /END
acasignups.net/support

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Charles Gaba ✡️

Charles Gaba ✡️ Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @charles_gaba

Jul 4
Thread. ~20 years ago, one of the minor controversies surrounding then-President George W. Bush was after being warned that something he wanted to do was unconstitutional, he allegedly angrily replied that the Constitution is "just a damned piece of paper!" 1/
I don't know whether this actually happened or not, but regardless of how appalling it my is, on the most basic level that's actually *correct*: The Constitution *in and of itself* *is* "just a damned peice of paper." It's not a talisman. It doesn't have any magical powers. 2/
The power of The Constitution is in the hands of whoever the American People happen to be at any particular point in time.

If those in charge *and* enough of those who aren't either actively want to ignore the Constitution or just don't care enough to defend it, guess what? 3/
Read 6 tweets
Jul 3
🧵 I just had a lengthy conversation with someone who wanted some insight as to how I've been so successful with my Democratic fundraising project over the past few cycles.

(obviously it wasn't called that in 2020 or 2022) 1/Blue24.org
For those unaware, I've raised nearly $8 MILLION *directly* for hundreds of Democratic candidates since 2019. And I've done it *without* a mailing list or texting anyone. I've done it without a PAC or a staff.

It's all been done purely online via social media. 2/
The reason I started "formally" raising money for Democrats online (as opposed to just occasionally retweeting some candidates ActBlue link now & then) is because I kept seeing Dems griping that they didn't trust how the DCCC/DSCC was allocating funds, etc. 3/
Read 19 tweets
Jun 29
ELECTIONS. HAVE. CONSEQUENCES.

WE SCREAMED ABOUT SCOTUS FROM THE TOP OF OUR LUNGS IN 2016 AND Y'ALL SHRUGGED IT OFF.

NOW WE'RE FACING THE CONSEQUENCES.

Biden is appointing judges at a furious pace, but our ONLY shot at fixing SCOTUS is to re-elect Biden & keep Senate control.
"So if we do that, Biden fixes SCOTUS?"

I said it's our only *chance* of doing so. It would also require, within the next 4 years, either:

1. Both Alito & Thomas retire (hah) or pass away.

Or...

2. Congress passes legislation to either expand or otherwise modify SCOTUS.
Even THEN, the damage done by the SCOTUS majority (half of which appointed by Trump) *until* either of those things happens would still take YEARS or DECADES to repair.

And some of it can never be repaired.

...all because some of you refused to vote for Hillary in 2016.
Read 6 tweets
Jun 27
🚨 STATE BY STATE: How much more will YOU pay if enhanced #ACA subsidies aren't extended? (Massachusetts - Missouri):

acasignups.net/24/06/27/state…
The original ACA subsidy formula was decent at low incomes, stingy at moderate incomes & nonexistent at middle class incomes.

ARPA/IRA had solid subsidy upgrades, bringing them up to where they should have been in the first place...but they're scheduled to revert in 2026. 2/
If the upgraded subsidies are allowed to expire at the end of 2025, up to *20 MILLION* #ACA enrollees will see their net premiums spike dramatically.

Many will no longer be able to afford this & will be forced to either downgrade to far worse plans or drop coverage entirely. 3/
Read 12 tweets
Jun 27
As someone pushing HARD for folks to donate to Democrats up & down the ballot, I’d like to note something about the AIPAC money brouhaha re NY-16.

Yes, money CAN make a significant difference in a race, but only up to a point. After that there’s diminishing returns. 1/
My guess is the first few million dollars AIPAC spent on the NY-16 race probably helped Latimer by a point or two. After that, however, it probably didn’t make much difference at all & may have even hurt him a bit due to residents getting sick of the constant ads/mailers etc. 2/
As a different example, in 2020, the poster child for throwing money down the drain was Amy McGrath for Senate in KY. She raised an insane $90 million & lost by 20 points. Even more insane is she probably would have lost by about the same margin if she’d spent 1/10th as much. 3/
Read 14 tweets
Jun 10
🧵 EV Infrastructure Update:

I just returned from my 4th road trip from Detroit to DC & back over the past 2 years. Since it's the same route each time I have a pretty apples to apples comparison on EV public chargers over time. 1/
The good news is that it looks like Electrify America, which makes up most of the chargers along the route (I-275/280, I-80/90 (OH Turnpike), I-70/270 (PA Turnpike), seems to be in the process of upgrading their charging stations; the newer ones seem to be more reliable. 2/
The bad news is that they've raised their prices substantially, at least at the stations along this route--they were usually $0.35/kWh 2 years ago; now they're charging $0.56/kWh.

By comparison, residential electricity in Oakland Cty, MI is around $0.18/kWh. 3/
Read 28 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(