This year has been totally different for our Great Spotted Woodpeckers. Last year they had 4 young who were all eating off the ground. This year they've had 2 young who have grown up fast. These clips are from yesterday when one young Woodpecker did eat off the ground. 1/n
This thread is really about how this baby Woodpecker interacts with other birds and especially a pigeon. It sees off other birds to claim the food for itself and it sees off the pigeon. But, in clip 5, the pigeon stands ground and shocks the Woodpecker. 2/n
So, this is the pecking order in action. Once the pigeon asserts itself, the Woodpecker returns but accepts it being there.

3/n
4/n
5/n
6/n
But in the end, something disturbs them both and they fly away. Sometimes I wish I'd become an expert in animal/avian behaviour because I find it fascinating watch how badgers, birds and even our cats interact. 🧐 #LoveWildlife #LoveNature #Woodpeckers

7/n

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Stephen 🔶🐟🇺🇦🇪🇺 #SlavaUkraini #CovidInquiryUK

Stephen 🔶🐟🇺🇦🇪🇺 #SlavaUkraini #CovidInquiryUK Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @TheStephenRalph

Dec 20, 2023
A Good Afternoon Everyone. I have just had a phone call from Social Care at @SouthAyrshire Council saying that as Mum is now being hoisted into bed by nurses, they think Mum now needs carers 4 times a day. 1/7

I responded that I'm absolutely furious because the hospital has...
... made Mum more disabled because of their working practices. Before admission, Mum was able to get to the car and go out as well as walk around the house downstairs.

Since admission she has spent weeks in bed. They won't let her mobilise without 2 members of staff due... 2/7
... to health and safety. Everyone she sees are strangers including physiotherapists so she has become frightened to do physiotherapy.

I made it crystal clear that @SouthAyrshire Council are to blame for Mum's plight. Doctors, OTs, nurses have said Mum needs to be at home. 3/7
Read 8 tweets
Jul 13, 2023
Back during 1995 I started having difficulties that I could not understand. I started having problems working with a particular colleague in my x-ray department. I actually went for counselling but that didn't help. Over subsequent years I had to retire. 1/12
@TheHuwEdwards
I suffered a flair up of an unknown type of arthritis that was eventually diagnosed as Behçets disease but I was perpetually short tempered and eventually lost most of the friends I had made over the course of my career and student days. 2/12
In short, I became a different person but thankfully, I never lost my temper with my parents who were also my carers.

This all went on for years right up to 2007 when my rheumatologist, on a hunch, asked if he could do some extra blood tests to check my hormone levels. 3/12
Read 12 tweets
Dec 1, 2021
Some 25 years ago, I caught a virus because I'd been sitting next to a man who, the previous day, had stepped off an aircraft from Tunisia. In French, he told his girlfriend that he'd been feeling mildly unwell during the journey. That virus ended my career as a radiographer. 😔
It wasn't the virus itself that ended my career. My body had an adverse reaction to me having that virus just as people are having adverse reactions to #COVID19. My immune system went wrong and never put itself right again.

Same can be said for some of those with #LongCOVID.
For me, I had a flair up that was later confirmed as #BehçetsDisease but was wrongly diagnosed as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I've noticed in the Press and media that people with #LongCOVID are being told they have Chronic Fatigue. So, I can understand what they're going through.😔
Read 9 tweets
Jul 4, 2021
Just want to say that @BorisJohnson & @SajidJavid are playing a very dangerous game. By allowing case numbers to grow, the UK has more cases than the entire #EU27 combined. We are a petri dish for a new mutation that could out smart present vaccines & could endanger the world. 😖
And, this government is also condemning young people to catching #COVID19 and the risk of suffering #LongCOVID. People over in the US are horrified that school age children are not wearing masks and are not yet being vaccinate. Our schools are presently super-spreader sites.
As I was saying earlier... 😳

UK scientists caution that lifting of Covid rules is like building ‘variant factories’

Experts react with dismay to ‘frightening’ attitude of Sajid Javid towards removing protections

#COVID19 #CoronaVirus #PlagueIsland

theguardian.com/world/2021/jul…
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(