Christy Staats Profile picture
Aug 4, 2021 9 tweets 10 min read Read on X
I have some things to say to @GovAbbott and @SenTedCruz I made you a slide deck. 1 (of 7) #immigrants #migrants #covid19
I have some things to say to @GovAbbott and @SenTedCruz I made you a slide deck. 2 (of 7) #immigrants #migrants #covid19
I have some things to say to @GovAbbott and @SenTedCruz I made you a slide deck. 3 (of 7) #immigrants #migrants #covid19
I have some things to say to @GovAbbott and @SenTedCruz I made you a slide deck. 4 (of 7) #immigrants #migrants #covid19
I have some things to say to @GovAbbott and @SenTedCruz I made you a slide deck. 5 (of 7) #immigrants #migrants #covid19
I have some things to say to @GovAbbott and @SenTedCruz I made you a slide deck. 6 (of 7) #immigrants #migrants #covid19
*I believe I made a typo. Irish blamed for cholera
I have some things to say to @GovAbbott and @SenTedCruz I made you a slide deck. 7 (of 7) #immigrants #migrants #covid19
Jesus said in John 8, "you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." Jesus is the Truth, the Way, the Life. He is not pleased when you spread falsehoods scapegoating those fleeing terrible things and seeking our mercy.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Christy Staats

Christy Staats Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @christy_staats

Sep 18, 2023
A complex problem needs complex solutions.

1. Globally there are 108 million displaced people fleeing war, gang violence, dictators, starvation, hurricanes, collapsed governments and more.
2. The United States, Colombia & Panama signed an agreement 1/
nytimes.com/2023/09/14/wor…
to end the illicit movement of people” through the Darién Gap, a practice that “leads to death & exploitation of vulnerable people for significant profit.”

Instead of ending it. Colombia President @petrogustavo is turning a blind eye to the profits his own elected officials 2/
@petrogustavo are turning in moving people through the Darien Gap. Charging desperate people on the move and encouraging this dangerous trip is breaking the agreement in April and unethical. 3/
Read 9 tweets
Oct 14, 2022
Interviewing the director of a ministry that began on the border last year I am pondering his words.

People don’t know what the process is to be allowed to get into the US. There is much disinformation and smugglers telling people to come. Gangs have infested the police & govt
in Central America and if people can’t pay their weekly fines they get murdered. “I would leave too.” Mexico doesn’t want to invest in anybody else and it makes the country very difficult to live (I was talking to a Mexican national). The US has a heart of mercy. The corruption
and violence and unlivable situations people are in need to change for them to stay.

I’ll write more and publish it somewhere about what this ministry is doing to address the needs that presented themselves by form of people made in Gods image on the streets in Mexico.
Read 5 tweets
Sep 17, 2022
When I started working with refugees in 2015 there were around 59 million displaced people globally. That number has surpassed 100 million this year. When we see people coming in higher numbers to our border, an understanding of the wars, violence, famine, and country collapses
globally gives us perspective on what people are fleeing and why they are coming to us in hope. The cruelty of the last administration to immigrants also plays into the increases under the Biden administration. That is a GOOD thing that this president is known to not be cruel.
Many of the last administrations policies remained in place despite persistence from advocates, yet Biden has been accused of causing the numbers of people at the border. It is both manipulative and myopic to blame Biden when the globe is in need. It is also naval gazing to
Read 7 tweets
Apr 22, 2022
Deeply saddened to read this report from Grove City College and the condemnation of @JemarTisby. Dr. Tisby is being used by God. We love to reject the prophets. Don't do it now. As he said in that chapel message, how we respond now is how we would have responded 50-60 years ago.
One thing I found disturbing in the report is idea he was disqualified because of "progressive policies" on immigration reform. The lines of what is progressive & liberal are shifting. Immigration reform - including what Tisby spoke of in his book are ideas supported from Reagan
to Bush to Lindsay Graham. Bush supports now a permanent solution to our undocumented. Graham the Dream Act for Dreamers. Reagan is the president who admitted the most refugees to date in the US.

Which means is the issue that Dr. Tisby was not Biblical? Or the board has
Read 6 tweets
Apr 5, 2022
Title 42, a pandemic protocol that sent most migrants & asylum seekers away almost immediately since March 2020 is ending at the end of May. We need sound ways to uphold human dignity, asylum law, and border security. (🧵)
Under U.S. law, people who flee their countries because they fear persecution can apply for asylum. The individual must demonstrate that he or she is a “refugee.” Title 42 has prevented those fleeing persecution from being able to access legal asylum the last two years.
Title 42’s immediate expulsion of asylum seekers and migrants has had the adverse effects of fuelling smuggling rings and cartels. Repeat crossers count for 30% of the border numbers. @humanrights1st documented 9886 reports of kidnapping, torture, rape and other violent attacks
Read 10 tweets
Aug 5, 2021
I despaired with a Senate Republican office on what has become of the party recently. For those who value small government, this turn is not Republicanism but evil. It’s going to do two things.. drain the party of real Conservatives who know immigrants are vital to our economy,
Churches, neighborhoods and competitiveness as a nation. It is not our better angels but a celebration like this reminds me of the anti immigrant movement of the 1920s. The Nazis took notes from us on how we treated African Americans and immigrants when they wrote the Nuremberg
Laws.

What should be done as we watch gatherings of young conservatives celebrating the suffering of refugees under our watch and celebrating closing legal and illegal immigration. Fight back with the pen and any platform you can get. It’s not conservatism they hail but
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(