Michael Kasdan Profile picture
Apr 17, 2022 9 tweets 6 min read Read on X
THREAD:

“Storytelling is Life.”

Our power constellation of Imagination, Empathy, Connection; all revolve around it. It is the most human and most essential tool for innovation and for social change.

/1

#storytelling #fiction #innovation #metaverse
The ability and power to create and believe in mass fictions - money, geographical boundaries, religions - and then use them to organize & in turn to shape & change our reality is what differentiates humans from other animals. Brains 🧠 manifest.

/2

#storytelling #innovation
Yuval Harari. Neil Gaiman. Kurt Vonnegut. Leslie Marmon Silko. Amanda Gorman.

@harari_yuval @neilhimself @Kurt_Vonnegut @TheAmandaGorman

I think they all believe this about the great power of our stories and fictions.

I sure do. 🤷‍♂️

/3
“Storytelling is the way that unarticulated memory becomes art, becomes artifact, becomes fact, becomes felt again, becomes free. Empires have been raised & razed on much less."

— Amanda Gorman @TheAmandaGorman

/4
“We who make stories know that we tell lies for a living. But they are good lies that say true things.”

— Neil Gaiman @neilhimself

/5
“All the true things I’m about to tell you are shameless lies.”

— Kurt Vonnegut @Kurt_Vonnegut

/6
“I will tell you something about stories. They aren't just entertainment. They are all we have to fight off illness and death. You don't have anything if you don't have stories.”

— Leslie Marmon Silko

/7
“Fiction isn’t bad. It is [a] vital [tool]. Without commonly accepted stories about things like money, states or corporations, no complex human society can function. We can’t play football unless everyone believes in the same made-up rules …” — @harari_yuval

/8

/END
. @threadreaderapp please unroll

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Michael Kasdan

Michael Kasdan Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @michaelkasdan

Aug 22, 2023
THREAD 🧵

KNICKS VS RAPTORS, Trade Secrets Lawsuit Edition 🏀

I’ll break down the NY Knicks Complaint, alleging trade secret misappropriation, unfair competition, breach of contract, etc.,
Link to Complaint:

/1 assets.bwbx.io/documents/user…

I leave the on court breakdowns to the experts over at @TalkinKnicks and @TheKnicksWall and @TheStrickland but as an IP lawyer (and basketball fan) this version of Knicks vs Raptors - a trade secret Complaint filed in SDNY today - is in my wheelhouse.

/2
The allegations here focus on a common fact pattern alleged in trade secret cases, an employee moving from the Plaintiff to the Defendant and taking with and sharing the Plaintiff’s (here, the Knicks) trade secrets with the new employer (here, the Raptors).

/3
Read 34 tweets
Jul 1, 2023
Yup. That’s right. Another copyright class action lawsuit has been filed, this one against ChatGPT maker OpenAI.

Shall we thread 🧵?

Tremblay vs OpenAI.

Link to Complaint:

/1 https://t.co/TCTnPwMqYZassets.law360news.com/1694000/169468…
This is the latest in a flurry of lawsuits that have been filed against generative AI app makers.

As I’ve said before - and Yoda has too - “Begun the AI wars have. Yes. Mmmm.”

/2
Here is an earlier thread 🧵 I did on the Andersen et al copyright class action against Stability AI MidJourney, and DeviantArt in which artists allege copyright claims b/c their works were used to train #AI generative art algorithms.

/3 https://t.co/7tbYjkEe4L
Read 20 tweets
May 18, 2023
The SCOTUS today handed down its long-awaited decision in the Warhol Foundation vs Goldsmith copyright infringement case involving Warhol’s Prince series based on Goldsmiths photo re the boundaries of fair use and when a work is an infringement vs a transformative use. Image
TLDR:

The Supreme Court ruled for Goldsmith and against Warhol, holding that this was NOT fair use and not transformative.

Warhol’s argument that the silk- screen image of the photograph was transformative because it “has a different meaning or message” was rejected.

/2 Image
Note:

Only one of the four fair use factors - the purpose and character of the use - was at issue on appeal and before the SCOTUS in this case.
/3 Image
Read 47 tweets
Apr 18, 2023
“(Web3) DropStar” by Da Mikey 🎶

(a parody: set to the music of RockStar 🎶 by DaBaby; alt lyrics by me 🤷‍♂️)

Woo, woo
I grow up like
How you grow up, Mikey? How you grow up? (Oh)
How you grow up? I grow up (make bets to get rich in)
Let's go!

/1 Image
🎶
Brand new crypto meany lucky so far…
Alt coin bankroll on the dip, ride to the top (yeah yeah yeah)
Have you ever met a real web3 drop-star?

/2 Image
🎶
This ain't no Web2, bitch, this is the Blockchain
My degen frens made me promise its gon' free you (woo)
I better let you go the day they need you (woo)
Soon as you and me on that Web3, get to bustin' (woo)
And if that ain't enough, go play the game

/3 Image
Read 12 tweets
Feb 12, 2023
Live Tweeting #SuperBowlLVII 🧵
Because that’s what I like to do today. Gonna keep all my ramblings in this THREAD.
Read 43 tweets
Feb 11, 2023
THREAD 🧵

Breaking down the "real-world legal contract specifying the terms of the streaming royalties and guaranteeing real-world ownership for the NFT holder" for #Rihanna's #NFT offering, which dropped last week ahead of her #SuperBowl Halftime performance tomorrow.

/1
The 300 royalty-linked NFTs were available for purchase last week at $210 a piece and quickly sold out. Each NFT provides holders with royalties from streaming revenues of her 2015 hit song, "B**** Better Have My Money," and some other goodies.

coindesk.com/web3/2023/02/1…

/2
The NFT Ownership Agreement for the Rihanna Bitch Better Have My Money NFT is linked here:

…ckwebsite.s3.eu-north-1.amazonaws.com/drop_5_legal_c…

/3
Read 14 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(