Nicolas Tenzer Profile picture
Jan 24, 2023 6 tweets 4 min read Read on X
If this US decision to send M1 #Abrams tanks to #Ukraine (despite some technicalities) were confirmed, it would be remarkable.
It certainly depends on the number.
With 200 or 300 #Leopard2, a real game-changer.
But time is of the essence.
#Thread 🧵
1/6
wsj.com/articles/polan…
First, we, democratic countries, must be clear about our goal: to give Kyiv the means to reclaim ALL the territories invaded since 2014 (including #Crimea).
We need to move from "Defend #Ukraine" to "Make #Ukraine win" and "Defeat Russia".
Let's be straightforward.
2/6 Image
We must throw all our available forces into the battle: heavy tanks, long-range missiles, fighter planes — the only way to end the war as soon as possible.
The combination of these forces (+ military intelligence) will bring victory.
The longer we delay, the higher the cost.
3/6 ImageImage
But we must move quickly, very quickly, because everyone knows that spring will be decisive, and the problem is of course the time between now and the arrival of these weapons in numbers.
We must not let the Russians exploit this window of opportunity.
4/6 Image
Every day that passes is counted in human lives lost. We are guilty of wasting time, far too much time.
As I already stated on 24 February, we had to go in immediately, massively.
The invocation of risks has always been a cover for our lack of strategic intelligence.
5/6 Image
I do not exclude — I also said it at that time — that we would be obliged to make up for the immediate lack of weapons with our own means.
We doubtless have no other decent and strategically relevant choice.
6/6 Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Nicolas Tenzer

Nicolas Tenzer Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @NTenzer

Jun 9
I'm late in sharing some remarks collected by @cleacaulcutt for @POLITICOEurope (I was interviewed while I was in Chelm train station, Poland, on my return from Kyiv last Tuesday).
Great recent progres obviously, but my main questions remain.
⬇️
1/4
politico.eu/article/ukrain…
“The Ukrainians are very concerned about what the real objectives of allied nations are,” said Nicolas Tenzer, author of “Our War,” a book about Ukraine. “Are the Americans, the French and the Germans prepared to pull out all the stops so that Ukraine ultimately wins?”
2/4
“Even if Joe Biden is re-elected,” Tenzer cautioned, “not everyone in his administration wants to join forces with Ukraine and lead a victorious counter-offensive” against Russia.
3/4
Read 4 tweets
May 25
It's high time the Allies took action to drive the Russian enemy out of Ukraine.
Not tomorrow, but now.
In fact, I've been asking for this since February 24, 2022. It would have saved over a hundred thousand lives and increased our security.
A thread.
1/13
🧵
What hasn't been done hasn't been done.
As Spinoza once wrote, “regret is a useless feeling”. But it can only haunt us.
Now, let's get on with it.
There must be not limitation on our side.
2/13
I see the debates in the US. They're not new.
The differences within the Biden administration over attacking military targets with US weapons in Russia are long-standing.
Giving up would be a sign of US strategic bankruptcy.
Taking action will also pay off electorally.
3/13
Read 13 tweets
May 12
Ten theses.
A thread.
🧵
1 We're at war with Russia, not because we've declared it, but because it's waging war on us.
#OurWar
2 Russia is waging a war of extermination. That's just a fact.
It's a war without limits, neither in time nor in space.
3 With a radical enemy, there can be no negotiation. Any negotiation means both more crime — in fact, it's a license to kill given to Putin, especially in the Russian-ruled areas of Ukraine — and more insecurity.
Read 10 tweets
Apr 30
As those of you who have been following me for some time know, April 30 is a special day for me.
On that day in 1945, the #Ravensbrück concentration camp was liberated. My mother, Martha Tenzer, a resistance fighter in Belgium who had been arrested by the Gestapo in 1943,...
1/8 Image
was “celebrating” her 25th birthday there.
She would have turned 104 today.
She had joined the Resistance at the age of 20, and was Jewish. Fortunately, her false papers concealed her origin.
When she was liberated and handed over to the Red Cross of Sweden,...
2/8 Image
where she spent long months convalescing, she weighed 30 kg and was suffering from numerous illnesses (typhus, turberculosis...). She survived.
After the war, she was one of the first women to enter the Belgian diplomatic service (closed to women before the war).
3/8 Image
Read 8 tweets
Oct 4, 2023
So wonderful to listen again to the awesome @avalaina, Nobel Peace Prize, whom I met in Kyiv last July, today at @WarsawForum #WSF interviewed by @AslanTV.
She rightly emphasized the lack of bravery of the world leaders.
Some edited extracts in this #thread.
1/7 Image
"I wish no one had to experience what we're experiencing now with Russia's absolute war against the Ukrainian people since February 2014.
We already had so many stories of people who survived captivity and the worst tortures that we documented.
We must never get used to this.
2/7 Image
The @IntlCrimCourt will only be able to try a limited number of cases of war criminals and criminals against humanity, but we have tens of thousands. This risks limiting accountability. Yet we cannot refuse to dispense justice. We'll just have to find a way to do it.
3/7
Read 7 tweets
Apr 30, 2023
Today, as every year on April 30, I commemorate the liberation of the #Ravensbrück concentration camp—78 yrs ago.
On that day, my mother, who was there, was "celebrating" her 25th birthday.
I pay tribute to her today.
On that day, Hitler killed himself in his bunker.
#Thread
1/13 ImageImage
Mom was a member of the #Resistance in Belgium. She was arrested by the Gestapo in 1943 after her network was denounced. She went from prison to prison as a Nacht und Nebel political prisoner.
Her false papers concealed her Jewish origins.
Her last stop was #Ravensbruck.
2/13 Image
When she was released, she was suffering from typhus and tuberculosis and weighed 30 kilos.
She was taken in by the Swedish Red Cross and gradually recovered in #Sweden.
Forever my gratitude to the wonderful persons who took care of her.
3/13 Image
Read 13 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(