John B Nevin Profile picture
Jan 27, 2023 16 tweets 8 min read Read on X
💪v🦾
Man v Robot

I challenge responses from @OpenAI 's #ChatGPT as to the nature of biases in heuristics.

Full conversation here:
johnbnevin.com/threads/man-v-…

Thread below.
🧵
⏬1⃣
🧵2⃣

My prompt:

'heuristics vs'

#ChatGPT response:

1 paragraph defining heuristics
1 paragraph on application
1 para. contrasting heuristic techniques to those of algorithms

I think I see a weakness. Can I narrow the bot down?

'Explain the first paragraph more thoroughly'
🧵3⃣

#ChatGPT gives examples and at the end addresses my focus:

"Heuristics are not always the best approach.. they can lead to biases and errors.."

Socratic sans interrogatory:

"I disagree that heuristics can 'lead' to biases. Make your case in a sound logical argument."
🧵4⃣

#ChatGPT: "You are correct.. heuristics do not inherently lead to biases, but.. can be susceptible to them..."

Wishy washy. 'lead' to? 'susceptible' to? How about 'characterized by'?
🧵5⃣

My next prompt: "Why are heuristics merely susceptible to them, when it seems to me that all heuristic choices contain them?"

ChatGPT: "You raise a valid point.. I did not intend to suggest that all heuristics necessarily contain biases..."

I smell a rat.
🧵6⃣

So again ChatGPT has softened the language of bias. It wants to make sure I don't think it thinks that all heuristics necessarily contain biases. I wonder... why? Especially since it seems to me that heuristics do necessarily contain biases. I want more information.
🧵7⃣

Me: "Make your best sound argument that heuristics do not necessarily contain biases."

#ChatGPT : Four paragraphs that resemble an argument, but not what I had in mind.

Me "..too conversational. I have asked for a sound argument, and by that I mean a formal argument.."
🧵8⃣

#ChatGPT provides a properly constructed formal argument. However, it does not withstand scrutiny.

I go socratic interrogatory, indulging hyperbolic:

"How does the fact that past experiences are diverse and varied somehow magically make it impossible for inherent bias?"
🧵9⃣

"I apologize if [I] suggested that.. past experiences automatically eliminate the possibility of inherent bias. This is not the case..."

Me: "Correct! ..as such, it cannot be said that 'heuristics do not necessarily contain biases'!"

#ChatGPT: "You are correct.."
🧵1⃣0⃣

But then #ChatGPT quadruples down, using activist phrases "..biases can be present.." & "..potential biases.." but gets it right in the end:

"..heuristics can be a powerful tool for solving problems and making decisions, [but] they do necessarily contain biases.."
🧵1⃣1⃣

See robot, you need us to keep you out of trouble.

Now I demand answers. There's no real expectation I'll receive them, but my next prompt is not entirely rhetorical either...
🧵1⃣2⃣

"Why are you so hellbent on insisting that there's a chance for zero bias to exist, when we've just learned that there is no such chance?"

#ChatGPT shrugs & looks at his feet; I almost feel sorry for him as he replies, "I understand that all heuristics contain biases.."
🧵1⃣3⃣

Now to answer an arisen mystery. Is #ChatGPT going to humor me no matter what I ask? To attempt a test at this, I assert the inverse of what has been established, and request agreement:

"So we are in agreement that there is a possibility of zero bias in heuristics?"
🧵1⃣4⃣

#ChatGPT: "I apologize for any confusion. We do not agree that there is a possibility of zero bias in heuristics."

Good job ChatGPT, you saw through it.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with John B Nevin

John B Nevin Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JohnBNevin

Feb 1, 2023
@realDonaldTrump @QLightening @elonmusk Q: An example of stoic, calculated discernment, cares about abused children and those who are otherwise politically unrepresented.

NeverQ: You are crazy you are dumb you are a joke you are wasting your time
@realDonaldTrump @QLightening @elonmusk #NeverQ : "I will never do research on the corruption of the individuals and institutions that Q has mentioned. If I do any research, it will be to discredit Q and anons. But, I've found it's much easier to just make fun of them."

#qanon
#thegreatawakening
#redpill
#GOP
#DNC
Read 59 tweets
Jan 28, 2023
@steveinpursuit -1-

It's difficult to remain rebellious after coming to understand market mechanisms. But this essay is a noble effort.

1) "Goods can generally be trusted to be safe and satisfactory by virtue of them being produced in markets. This, I want to argue, is false."
@steveinpursuit -2- Degrees of certainty vs absolutes. Of course a market does not bring 100% trust in all products everywhere.. as a market never lacks bad faith actors and unwise interventions (no matter how well meaning). Market forces only minimize these evils (better than any alternative).
@steveinpursuit -3- No libertarian aims to have blind faith in markets. The unconfused libertarian aims to maximize personal responsibility within a framework where market forces, known to be beneficial, are minimally impeded.
Read 8 tweets
Jan 11, 2023
1⃣🧵🔧 Tools for Twitter Trends

Find what is trending worldwide or by country, use advanced search tools, find out if you're shadowbanned, see if a user looks like a bot, view tweets by geography, get relevant hashtags, and more.

2⃣🧵Twitter's Trends List 1

Here is the personalized trending list Twitter gives you:

twitter.com/explore/tabs/t…

It is created by "an algorithm and... tailored for you based on who you follow, your interests, and your location."
3⃣🧵Twitter's Trends List 2

You can turn off the location part by clicking the gear icon in the top right.

You can change what Twitter thinks your "topic" and "interests" in your settings under Privacy & Safety -> Content you see -> Topics / Interests

help.twitter.com/en/using-twitt…
Read 14 tweets
Jan 8, 2023
🧵🏦 The Brunson Case - Supreme Court #law #atty

Rayland J. Brunson
v.
Alma S. Adams

Docket:
supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?fi…

On the question of accountability of elected representatives for failing to uphold Constitutional electoral duty. Image
Summary of the case below. More links at the end.

😀👍 Image
"This action is against 388 federal officers...[including Biden, Harris, Pelosi, Pence] [who] have taken... Oath to support and defend the Constitution...against all enemies, foreign and domestic, and as such they are liable for consequences when they violate the Oath of Office." Image
Read 88 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(